Leather conditioner?
Jun 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
My leather (I believe) chair has been cracking/ripping, and I need something to prevent further damage. What's a reputable product (and hopefully inexpensive) I can use?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd be careful in choosing. Mink oil and dubbin will eventually soften and rot the leather. Cheap cream conditioner (it's white and milky) is better, but I've seen some brands that don't saturate very well.

I've been using an 8 oz. bottle of something called CSL Shoe Care Leatherware Lotion for about a year. It's terrific. My shoe repairman doesn't stock it any more, and I'm about out. I'm thinking that this product *looks* very similar to the CSL stuff, and I may try it out.

Again, I'd reassert that you should be careful about what you use, especially for repeated application, which is typical for any leather item that gets used repeatedly over the year.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 16
Lexol makes a great product that I have used for years. They make both a cleaner and conditioner and are highly recommended by many furniture manufacturers. Whatever you go with, be sure to first test in an innocuous area to be sure.

Forgot to mention Saddle Soap. It's one of the oldest around. I have used it as well but prefer Lexol.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 16
I have used Lexol for years as well, and it is good stuff. However, Zaino products beat Lexol hands down. I use it in the car, which is what it is specifically made for, but I use it on Leather furniture in the house as well. Price is very reasonable. This is good stuff, I highly recommend it...

Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner

Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner: Zaino Store

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle:

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle: Zaino Store

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks guys, and am I glad this stuff isn't expensive! I really should've started taking care of my sofa earlier.

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I used mink oil and dubbin for *many* years.  About five years ago, I got a stunning pair of vintage Italian hiking boots off *bay.  They'd been in somebody's basement for a decade.  I virtually soaked them in mink oil, hoping to restore their suppleness.  The entire top 3mm of the leather just peeled right off.  --No more mink oil.

At the moment, I'm using something called Apple Brand Leather Conditioner--available off *bay.  It's very good, very gentle on old leather, and (unlike the last good stuff I found) readily available.  'Highly recommended.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 16
I've been using Chelsea Leather Food for several years now. I mostly use it for my soccer cleats, but I've also used some on other assorted leathers without any issues. I'm not sure if this is recommended, but it's supposed to be for preserving and protecting leather so I don't see why it would hurt.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 16
Necromancy. Anyways, my leather chair is pretty much destroyed, but still usable as long as I'm wearing pants. I think I just gave up, since no matter what I did, it still wore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back