Least painful downgrade from Sennheiser HD-800
Sep 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pearljam50000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,sadly i had to downgrade from the HD-800.
I have a budgetof up to 500$
Which headphones do you recommend, that are as close as possible to the sound quality of the HD-800?
Thanks
size]

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 24
HD600. Less clarity, less detail, less immersive soundstage, less treble extension. Signature wise very similar. I used to own both and still find the 600s amazing even when compared to the 800s.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 24
The AKG K-702 have a spacious soundstage and are quite detailed.  It's critics will point out that it lacks in the bass department but I find the bass to be quite prominent, again due to the detail factor of this headphone.  It generally sells for $350.  I've owned mine for two years & still enjoy them tremendously.  The K-702 is also quite popular with studio recording engineers again because of it's excellent soundstage and detail.  For me they're like a HD800 Jr.  MHO.  Hope this is helpful.  
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 24
  The AKG K-702 have a spacious soundstage and are quite detailed.  It's critics will point out that it lacks in the bass department but I find the bass to be quite prominent, again due to the detail factor of this headphone.  It generally sells for $350.  I've owned mine for two years & still enjoy them tremendously.  The K-702 is also quite popular with studio recording engineers again because of it's excellent soundstage and detail.  For me they're like a HD800 Jr.  MHO.  Hope this is helpful.  
L3000.gif

Agreed. It has enough bass if you thought HD800 bass was enough. Enough about bass, K/Q70x are a very respectable headphone. I have not always been a fan but I plugged one in yesterday and I took back years of loathing I had for the can and I have a newfound respect for it. The extension both low and high is amazing, nothing particularly stands out to distract you and music sounds very natural if you have a decent source and amp and the headphones have been proven to scale as high as your wallet can take you.

That being said I'm known to get lovey dovey with Beyerdynamic DT880 and HD600.

The 600's are the cans I've owned the longest, and they're the ones I have the most fond feelings about because there was never a time when I felt I ever needed more from my audio hobby. The only reason I ever went past that was the curiousity that there were apparently better sounding headphones out there. That being said, I still will not ever sell my 600's regardless because I have a real attachment to the first leap I took into serious audio when I bought those. I came from Grados and the 600's just had such a well-balanced, mature, yet still totally fun sound for me.

I can rant all day but I'll spare you.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 24
For me this is ATH-W5000, the closest in details reproduction and soundstage. The midrange timbre is a bit off, could be "too much of a good thing". But many, myself included, just love that lush, syrupy way of presenting vocals. They are just as picky to the source and amplification as HD800, fit is a bit finicky.
Second place would be T1 and ATH-AD2000 perhaps the next one.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 24
For a different selection, consider the Alpha Dog by Mr. Speakers. It is $599 but is an amazing hp that is similarly voiced to the hd800. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 24
I really hope i get chosen for the tour because my next headphone is going to be an HD800 or the Alpha Dog. If I get picked to try the Alpha Dog and like them, I'll most likely get them.

Quote:
  For a different selection, consider the Alpha Dog by Mr. Speakers. It is $599 but is an amazing hp that is similarly voiced to the hd800. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 24
Closest thing would be AKG K701/2 Q701/2 headphones. Or new K712 but I have not heard it yet.

Plus : and Beyer DT990 is also very strong contender, tho you will lose a lot of soundstage.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 24
  Closest thing would be AKG K701/2 Q701/2 headphones. Or new K712 but I have not heard it yet.

Plus : and Beyer DT990 is also very strong contender, tho you will lose a lot of soundstage.

how about the bass between the dt990 and the hd800? i have not listened to the hd800 yet, and based on reading stuff over here, isnt the bass on hd800 a bit on the lean side? i have the dt990 pro 250ohm, and the bass on that is by no means light, i actually would not be able to tolerate using it daily if the bass on the dt990 is any higher in quantity. of course, i keep my sony xb500 as a bassy headphone, whenever i feel like just blasting bass, i will use that but i dont use it regularly for music. actually its pretty rare that i use the xb500 for music... 

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 24
Ive listened to the Q701 and DT880 recently, among other headphones...

I would say that while Q701 do have soundstage that is very nice (though not perfectly as developed and deep as with the Senns), their tonality is a little bit off (they lack subbass and have hearable strange 2khz emphasis). DT880 are more neutral than Q701, except for very strange Beyer's typical emphasis of frequencies around 10khz which makes especially drums sound exaggerated all the time. It may sound like its not a big issue but for me, it definitely is... That emphasis is hearable all the time once you start to analyze. Soundstaging of DT880 is not as good as with Q701, though not bad at all considering their price!

One headphone I was really satisfied with FR wise were HD598. They are really balanced and quite HD800-like here, its their strongest feature. On the other hand, they definitely lack soundstage and overall quality so rather not take that route.

I can honestly tell you that you should listen to Q701, K712 Pro and DT880 yourself and decide which one to choose. But I am worried that none is gonna deliver a versatile and complete experience of HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back