Learned members, please guide me!
Oct 27, 2010 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

raghunath

New Head-Fier
I own an RE0. I am looking for upgrades. I am interested in IEMs. Price range is at the max $300, but I would like to know all my options.

What I listen to:
Indian Classical Music. Both vocals and instrumentals.

What I would want in my next IEM in comparison to RE0
Improved clarity. I just love the details.
Improved speed.
Improved base. May be just a little more. I want to be as much as or more 'defined' than that which is there in RE0.
Improved soundstage. This is there in my setup to some extent, but I want more!
Analytical sound, but not completely dry.

I have never heard anything other than RE0s. But I have had a just a slight taste of all these above through Re0 +E7.
So if more goodies come along I am in!

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
I own an RE0. I am looking for upgrades. I am interested in IEMs. Price range is at the max $300, but I would like to know all my options.

What I listen to:
Indian Classical Music. Both vocals and instrumentals.

What I would want in my next IEM in comparison to RE0
Improved clarity. I just love the details.
Improved speed.
Improved base. May be just a little more. I want to be as much as or more 'defined' than that which is there in RE0.
Improved soundstage. This is there in my setup to some extent, but I want more!
Analytical sound, but not completely dry.

I have never heard anything other than RE0s. But I have had a just a slight taste of all these above through Re0 +E7.
So if more goodies come along I am in!

Hmm, its hard to ask for more clarity than the RE0's, because they are generally regarded as some of the most clear IEMs - the only other ones I can think of that might be comparable are the Fischer Audio DBA-02's and Audio Techinca CK-10's.

It sounds like you do like your RE0's a lot though, so why don't you just invest in a good amp for them? An amp will bring you all the improvements you requested.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 20
Ety ER4S. That's really the only iem I can think of to provide better clarity & speed. You have to LOVE clarity & detail to appreciate them though. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for your replies, guys. I appreciate it. I will research on ER4S. What amp do you suggest me, a_recording?

If I really want to sum up what I want, I would say I want the most 'faithful' setup, that represents the music to utmost details, and no coloration. I want the lows to be deep, punchy and defined and dont want them to muddle the things up, mids balanced, and I want highs without any deformation.

For all the other respected head-fiers out there, I need more opinions guys!

I appreciate your kindness in helping me out.

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 20
In all honesty I would recommend two options:

1) DBA-02
2) Hifiman RE-262 with an amp

Both are very fine options considering what you are looking for.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks @guidostrunk, thanks LFF. It was only head-fi that helped me come out of my 'stock' iems get hold of RE0s that started off my journey on the path of musical nirvana. I will look forward to more priceless help from you guys out there. Once again, thank you so much.  

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
A little more money can get you the Sm3 from earsonics. I got mine for $350 from soundearphones, i know you max budget is 300, just something to look at. They get a lot of great feedback here.

Agreed that they get a lot of great feedback here. However, having had them, and believing that I understand the OP's needs, I would not recommend the SM3.
What you will find, if you read through the locked and unlocked threads on them is that they have (unless you mod them via removal of the internal filter) a marked roll-off or de-emphasis in the upper mids and lower highs. Whether or not one likes this effect is irrelevant, it just does not sound like something the OP would appreciate.

I would agree with LFF that the DBA-02 (or ck10 / 100) would probably suite your needs, and the DBA-02 is under $200.

shane

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks again! your reviews, your opinions make it so much easy for me! I am considering CK10, DDM, and DBA02, and RE 262 or 252. There is only one small problem, I cannot easily find here the reviews of RE262. Mark, I found your review of RE252. How do 262 differ from 252? How difficult is a good seal with DDM? Other opinions on the comparison of these are, as always, most welcome.

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Thanks again! your reviews, your opinions make it so much easy for me! I am considering CK10, DDM, and DBA02, and RE 262 or 252. There is only one small problem, I cannot easily find here the reviews of RE262. Mark, I found your review of RE252. How do 262 differ from 252? How difficult is a good seal with DDM? Other opinions on the comparison of these are, as always, most welcome.

Thanks.

A good seal is impossible. The DDM are meant to be worn with a loose seal. They also have zero isolation, awkward as heck to fit and not a good match for smaller ears. You can't find the RE262 reviews because they are not out yet. The RE262 is a newer product and is not available for individual purchase yet. Outside of those that have them for reviews and those who won them from head-fi meets, the only ones who have the RE262 are those that bought the HM602 which came bundled with the RE262.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 20
You love the clarity and the detail of the RE0, in which case I very much strongly recommend against the DDMs. They have as much clarity and the detail - but in the bass/mids rather than treble. They are a good complement to the RE0, but not at all a good replacement. They are definitely not 'analytical'...

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 20
Along a slightly tangential line, somebody (I think, a_recording, to whom I am immensely thankful for his repeated contributions) suggested an amp for RE0 that will give me a better sound. What do you guys suggest? An amp or an IEM? if amp, which one for my liking? It is not necessary, but I would prefer it to be a USB DAC/AMP so that I can use that with my laptop too..same goes for the portability. If I buy an amp, I would like it to be pair-able with next few purchases of mine, of which I am not sure about right now, but what I know is that the choice of music and the qualities that I seek in a sound system will never change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back