lead free solder reliability warning / another Euro blunder?
Aug 19, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #106 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'm of the same mind as Captain-Scarlet (Graham Slee) and am off to Mars with him..........Nice thread whilst it lasted :)

Don't forget your towel.
And
Don't panic!
I would join, but Mars is the red planet.
I have to go somewhere else.

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #108 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
An illness associated with stooping down to respond to an idiot like you maybe?

Nope that's not it, it's an illness more associated to trying to find support and explanation to your argument and opinions and beliefs with anything possible, no matter how senseless or irrational (or insolent for that matter).

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #109 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Nope that's not it, it's an illeness more associated to trying to find support and explanation to your argument and opinions and beliefs with anything possible, no matter how senseless or irrational (or insolent for that matter).

edit.

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #110 of 123
Well Pinky, not making sense at all are symptoms of some other illnessess. Have you checked your lead levels?
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #111 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Well Pinky, not making sense at all are symptoms of some other illnessess. Have you checked your lead levels?
wink.gif

Edit, lead overload
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #112 of 123
If your definition of "knockout blows" applies to the major knockout blow you think lead-free soldering will do the environment through increased global warming, then certainly there's a lot to fear. Well, just in case, check the definition of irony before interpreting that too literally.

Pink you do have some history of making mods close threads, or at least making mods submit a warning. And it seems you do enjoy getting involved in insulting exchanges in head-fi. Well, not me sorry. I have better and much more profitable things to do, so this is my last post in this thread. I thought this thread was originally a bit more scientific and rational that it turned out to be.

Seriously, being against lead-free solder doesn't mean being paranoid, but some of the arguments against lead-free solders presented here are paranoid-like and yellow-press propaganda like without a doubt. Well, but that's just my opinion of course (
wink.gif
)

Aug 20, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #115 of 123
Sorry, but one can't ignore the effects of the increased amount of heat generated. Unless you can prove that there is a balance between amount of heat emitted to space and generated on Earth. And the "greenhouse" effect would further help keep the heat Earthbound. You are also forgetting that it's not just the end process that is using more heat - you need more energy for it, meaning the electrical plants are generating more heat on their own. Anyway if you have imbalance, then the effects will accumulate over years.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #116 of 123
I am with you Pinkie! I will be sure to have an adequate stockpile of 60/40 leaded solder on hand. The only thing that the US govt. seems to do well is providing for the common defence (armed services), taxing us too much & collecting taxes. Everything else that govt. touches they manage to screw up; it never changes.

I join you Pinkie in exile from a movement you were never in sympathy with.

Make my day, shoot an environmentalist.

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #117 of 123
If you must stockpile, at least stockpile 63/37.

Let's keep defense out of this, please...
and remember, bullets are not lead free, either.

Aug 20, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #118 of 123
The global warming is practically linked only to the greenhouse effect. That's why international conferences on global warming don't care much about the actual heat emitted but only about the emission of CO2 and deforestation.

In practical terms, the problem of more heat is that you need more energy. And more energy means today more emission of CO2. If you read my post carefully, I'm fully aware of this. That's why I said that more heat produced in a cleaner way (let's take nuclear energy for example, opposed to coal energy plants) is less damaging that less heat produced with an inefficient outdated technology. I didn't say more heat wasn't bad. I just said that it wasn't as clear as it seemed.

Aug 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #120 of 123
twirl4_med.gif

Things are "far" from in control in space and solder is proving a problem above the clouds. Head-fier Nigel alerted me to this NASA article which is only [size=large]days[/size] old http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...aug_solder.htm This is a Must look, hope Captain Scarlet doesn't have to perform any maintenance on his trip back to Mars or he will be in deep ****!

Massive Credit to fellow head-fier Nigel for scooping this one....... nice one Nigel!

Now I wonder why the rosin spins around? not enough lead in the mix maybe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back