LD MKIVSE - Am I hearing undesired distortion?
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LadFromWales85

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Had my LD MKIVSE for 5 days so far, generally loving the sound after the initial issue I had with hum died down!  The amp is being driven by the headphone output on my HDA X-Plosion soundcard.

I am finding with some kinds of music, usually music with a lot of low frequency sounds, where the bass will cause the treble to sound 'wobbly', to put it how it sounds!
It certainly doesn't sound as though the bass is distorting, as when the higher frequencies aren't playing, the bass is reproduced fine.

It sounds as though the headphone drivers are moving too much to be able to accurately reproduce the treble while at the same time reproducing the bass.  I have a set of DT 770Pro/80's.  Unfortunately I've never been able to drive them properly prior, having nothing capable of driving them into the realms they are forever praised for!

Admittedly, this issue mainly occurs when playing music louder than is perhaps good for my ears, but with some music it happens at even moderate levels.  Is it a sign that the amp dislikes having just 80ohms on it's output and wants something higher, like the 300 or 600ohm versions?

Listening to Pendulum now with the amp gain set to 5x (On-Off), volume pot set to 35, it happens occasionally now.  I listen to all genres of music, and for the more laid back this is not a problem at all!

I know my post probably sounds stupid, but it's something that's bugging me slightly.  If different headphones will solve the issue I guess I'll have to crack open the empty wallet again!

Thanks, advice appreciated :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back