LCD2 sound but without the LCD2 discomfort
Nov 8, 2011 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently auditioning both the LCD2 and HD800 and as much as I love the sound of the LCD2, I hate the discomfort when using it for anything longer than 10 minutes. The headphone feels really heavy, shifts around on my head, I feel a weird clamped feeling around my jaw and it feels warm around my ears.

This is probably exaggerated by the fact that the HD800 is probably the most comfortable headphones I ever used.

Is there any headphone out there that comes close to the lush and thick sound signature of the LCD2 but more comfortable? I like the more intimate soundstage and the smooth midrange. IMO the HD800 sounds anaemic in comparison.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 17
Unfortunately the LCD's are rather unique sound wise so getting a more comfortable version is probably not likely.

Maybe you could try the Beyer T1's. It has a fuller more bassy sound than the HD800's so will sound closer,but not that close, to the LCD's than the HD800's.
If you then partner the T1's with a lush tube amp in the future you just may get what you want. The T1's are also very comfortable.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 17
Lush you say? Have you heard the HD650? The bands you have listed in your profile sound great through it imo. I'm listening to Themata at the moment and the loss in resolution and clarity stepping down from the LCD-2 in no way detracts from the HD650's engaging presentation. Crunchy guitars, rhythm instruments with body and weight, as well as organic and well defined vocals is how a band like Karnivool is presented. I also find it incredibly comfortable and well suited for marathon listening sessions without fatigue.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 17
JVC DX 1000 has this lush romantic thing going. Not a match for the LCD-2 it distort more and is not quite as capable but it does have soundstage that I often find more enjoyable then the HD 800s :D. Maybe oversized woodies in general is what you should  look for :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 17
there really isnt much that compares to the sound of the LCD-2s. Are you using the rev 1 or the newer rev 2 because rev 2 is slightly lighter and the headband has more padding

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 17
I'd say the HD650 is overall closest to the LCD2 from all the cans I have heard.  If you want more bass than the LCD2, the DX1000 is also a good option.  The T1 is another option if you felt that the LCD2s could use more bite in the upper mids.  Actually, I find the LCD2 and HD800 to have very similar bass and midrange presentations - except the HD800 covers the spectrum with its top end.  I enjoyed the bass of the T1 over any headphone I have ever heard in fact, even more so than the LCD2s, it could drive the rhythm of music like nothing else, the best for 80s funk.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
there really isnt much that compares to the sound of the LCD-2s. Are you using the rev 1 or the newer rev 2 because rev 2 is slightly lighter and the headband has more padding

I'm using the Rev 2 with leather padding.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 17
This is going to sound weird, but the Magnum Grados will sound pretty similar. I don't know if Grado comfort works for you, but depending on which pads you like, there should be a solution for them. It's kind of a leap of faith though since the headphones need to be built to order, I'm sure you'll get some more feedback from people who've listened to both of them.

They're all the things we love about Grado house sound like the meaty and punchy mids, treble range and clarity, without some of the annoyances that some other people find with them like the sibilant treble on some recordings, lack of lower end grunt, and the magnums are built better from what I can tell as well.

They have the ability to be end game headphones, unlike a lot of the modern Grados, with exception to the PS500 which I haven't had experience with yet.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 17
sold my first rev1 due to the weight but I missed the sound, picked up another pair  which is a lot lighter than my previous pair, about 1/2 of the weight.This newer pair also has more comfortable earpads- later production of the rev1
both pair have the foam pads. I can wear it for hours now .  I will think that the rev2 are similar to my most recent rev1

I hope that you get a great pair, the sound is intoxicating

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Is there any headphone out there that comes close to the lush and thick sound signature of the LCD2 but more comfortable? I like the more intimate soundstage and the smooth midrange. IMO the HD800 sounds anaemic in comparison.

This makes me think of the Grado HP1000 - smaller, flatter, more compressed soundstage than the LCD-2 and a "thicker" mid-range, definitely a polar opposite to the HD800.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Greetings fellow Philly meet pals and folks. Been a while, work and all that.

Although I remain seriously torn about whether I'll be listing my LCD 2's (rev.1 from April 2011) for sale very soon, it seems that a bit of a degenerative cervical spine issue of mine (damn genes) is thwarting my ostensible LCD 2 joy lately. 

I mostly use mine in the studio for mix referencing and work and I hesitate to replace with a "lighter alternative... but may have to.  
I sometimes have to work w/ them for at least a few hours late in the evening.
Contributing to my cervical pain issue is not so appealing, albeit either is a sonic HP step down.

Tossing around the HE-500's or even the less $ light sennheiser 650 options but don't want to regret the loss of the LCD 2 richness. The Beyer TI option is a bit too costly for me right now.
Hard choice may need to be made.

Appreciate any further thoughts on the subject of comparably priced "quality" lighter alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back