LCD-X quality/value level in a dynamic headphone
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lex_rx

New Head-Fier
While enjoying my new LCD-X, I'm already looking at a dynamic driver that would offer the same value and quality.

I listened to the C$2K Focal Clear MG but I didn't think that it was in the same quality value with a different sound signature.

To those who have been at this hobby, what should I be testing? Sennheiser HD800S in my list in addition to the Focals. Is the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3 in the same quality/value range?

Also open to non-TOTL if it's enjoyable enough, like, the Sennheiser HD660 S2. I may be able to audition the Senns sometime next month on a trip so I'm continuing my research and creating a shortlist.

I'm partial to open backs but will test the equivalent closed backs as well, like HD820.

DAC/AMP for now will be the Modius/Magnius. But watching the used market for the RME ADI 2.

TIA!

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Most ZMF and the Denon D9200. Closed back but give it a listen.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Love the LCD-X especially when EQ'd. ZMF Atrium is quite a step up in timbre, soundstage and overall tonality. I can highly recommend it. ZMF Bokeh is more affordable and I'm sure it's great too, but I haven't heard that one.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I've had the HD800 S a few times and really like them, comfortable for all day wearing too. The Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X is much more affordable, but really fun and feels solid and well built. Do you have a genre in mind, or just all around use for it? I didn't like the original Heddphone or Audivina at all. I've had the LCD-DX and soon the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X is coming out and really looking forward to see how they did. The DT700 was too tame. If you want brighter, the DT1990 is fun, but I'd rather use the DT900 all day.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks @dunring. I like different types of jazz, some classical, but also eclectic and will listen to different genres. I did look at the Amiron BT while shopping for another BT headphone to complement my AirPods Pro gen1. However, I went with the Audeze Maxwell instead which is on back order. The DT1990 Pro uses the same Tesla driver as the Amiron Home so I'll consider these. There is one of each of these Beyers in Canuck Audio Mart (CAM) so I might also just buy one of them and sell if it doesn't suit my preference.

Current cans (in chrono order of ownership): HE400, DT880 250 ohms, HE400i, AirPods Pro G1, Pulse Elite, LCD-X.

Listening through the DT880 now as I type this but after getting used to the HE400 and 400i and now LCD-X, I can't say that the DT880 is better than the HE400/i in anything except maybe durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back