LCD TV questions
Aug 7, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea i have the 37" Samsung one. Its alright, but has crap speakers, so i would invest in some others

just got mine today...i could tell just booting up xbox they were kind of bad...prob hook my comp speakers up to it

oh and the thing is gorgeous

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 27
We got a LN52A750 two Mondays ago
biggrin.gif

I researched for a few months before we bought a TV. I also recommend Samsung. Everyone has their favorites, but Samsung seems to be at the top of everyone's list.

And why LCD vs Plasma? What elevation do you live at? I'm at 7000 feet, so plasma was out. I know they have supposedly found plasma formulas that work at high altitude, but then it would have problems at low altitude. With this LCD, we can take it anywhere.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 27
FWIW, I have both a plasma and an lcd. The plasma is a 42" panasonic and the lcd is a 46" vivitek (microcenter brand). My gf and I both love the lcd more. Here are our non-expert reasons why we prefer the lcd.

1. Colors look more natural (calibrated with dvd)
2. No reflections (This was a big turn off for plasma)
3. Better speakers

We agreed that if we're ever in the market for another (hopefully bigger) tv, it'd be another lcd.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone give me any insight on this tv? is this pretty solid?

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 37" 720p LCD HDTV LN37A330

I have to admit that for $799, it's a great price. The cheaper brands like the insignia, etc is only slightly less in price. I think I may have to join team Samsung and get this LCD for Christmas. Great price. IMO, Samsung has some of the best quality pictures these days.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 27
The thing about Samsung is they make the screens for other manufacturers, and that also means they need to have working electronics for a bunch of stuff before other companies. On the downside, their electronics hasn't always been the best, and they've had quality issues in the past. What it means is you get more for your money and might get technology earlier, and it's a great deal **if** they get the electronics right. Their record with monitors has been better lately. Seems like they've reserved their mistakes of late for their Blu-Ray players.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #23 of 27
grab a plasma...

short life but better and if you have a phd you can probably buy another one soon

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #25 of 27
may I suggest the 42" Sharp Aquos?

I have had mine for just about year.. yes the dreaded D62 series even.

Yes, there is SLIGHT banding, but you REALLY have to look for it. I haven't had one person notice it until I point it out. Other than that the colours in HD are absolutely mind boggling. Discovery HD is the best channel ever created.

I bought mine for 1799 last summer which was a great deal. I believe they can be had for nearly 1299 if you look hard enough. And yes, those are Canadian prices

(22 more posts to go)

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Repooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may I suggest the 42" Sharp Aquos?

I have had mine for just about year.. yes the dreaded D62 series even.

Yes, there is SLIGHT banding, but you REALLY have to look for it. I haven't had one person notice it until I point it out. Other than that the colours in HD are absolutely mind boggling. Discovery HD is the best channel ever created.

I bought mine for 1799 last summer which was a great deal. I believe they can be had for nearly 1299 if you look hard enough. And yes, those are Canadian prices

(22 more posts to go)

OK so others can't see the banding, but can you?

Sure, I care a little about guests watching the TV, but frankly, I care about my opinion more then anyone else's :p

My concern with something like that is I wouldn't be able to stop noticing it once I saw it.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK so others can't see the banding, but can you?

Sure, I care a little about guests watching the TV, but frankly, I care about my opinion more then anyone else's :p

My concern with something like that is I wouldn't be able to stop noticing it once I saw it.

Under regular viewing.. definitely not.

I reeeeally have to look out for it, and it is only noticeble under certain conditions of darker colours appearing on the screen. But unless I pause whatever I'm looking at and literally stare at bands for the sake of it, they're pretty much a non-issue.

(9 more posts to go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back