LCD TV questions
Jul 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Hi,

My parents have offered to buy me a 42" LCD TV as a sort of PhD Graduation / House Warming / Christmas / Birthday Present all rolled into one when we move into our new house in Saint Paul, but I have absolutely idea what we should be looking for.

So I'm looking for a 40-46" LCD TV. I know I want 1080p, but is 120Hz important? Should I get a slightly smaller TV at 120Hz versus a larger TV at 60Hz? Budget is probably around the $1500(US) mark.

Input requested.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brad

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 27
120hz is good for some others like myself find it annoying looking.

Check out the LN40A550 or LN46A550 Samsung's or the Sony KDL40v4100 or KDL46v4100 id skip on the Toshiba's as they have Green push and flashlight effect issues. LG's are also nice.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
120hz is good for some others like myself find it annoying looking.

Check out the LN40A550 or LN46A550 Samsung's or the Sony KDL40v4100 or KDL46v4100 id skip on the Toshiba's as they have Green push and flashlight effect issues. LG's are also nice.

HL167s and LX177s were the Toshiba models with green push issues. Flashlights and clouds? Sony is far worse.

I personally own a Toshiba 46RF350U and it is awesome. I looked for two years for a new tv.

The Samsung A550 and the Toshiba XF550 (120Hz) are the sets I would look at. Toshiba also makes a 540 series that is 1080p but does not have the 120Hz spec. I have not seen motion based issues on my set and I have watched a lot of sports and I game on this set.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 27
The basic problem is that film is usually 24 frames per second. To fit 60 frames per second requires telecine which displays one frame 3 time and the next twice. If you watch a diagonal angle that moves, you'll see it jagged. You'll also see shimmering in some places.

Blu-Ray players usually have the capability to output 1080p at 24 fps, so all you need is to make sure your Blu-Ray player supports that and your display accepts it. For standard DVDs, the 120 Hz capability of displays detects this 3:2 pulldown and corrects for it. Don't ask me why no standard DVD player does this. Any computer can. Technically, it's much more complicated than just picking a setting, especially with movies that mix film at 24fps with video at 60fps, and with cgi this can happen within the same frame.

Here's a list of displays that do the 120Hz thing. Displays that support 1080p/24 signal at multiplies of the original frame rate - AVS Forum There's enough other stuff on that site about this to jag your angles.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 27
I'm thinking about getting the 26 inch Insignia LCD TV at Best Buy. Looks awesome! Perhaps at Christmas time. I love Insignia BTW. Insignia fan all the way!

chewie0ol.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 27
I've heard nothing but great things about Panasonic's plasma screens, good black levels and excellent picture quality.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 27
For LCD TV, I would go for either Sony or Samsung. I've seen both of them in person and they all look fantastic but Samsung tends to offer more picture controls and features. They're cheaper than the sonys, too. If it was up to me, I'd take Samsung.

As other's have suggested, it's better to go with plasma for bigger screens 46 and up, but it's also more expensive. So if you can convince your parents, go with plasma. Either Pioneer or Panasonic will do wonder.

As for 120hz refresh rate, it's really love and hate thing. You can go to any local electronic stores and see the difference but basically 120hz feature makes picture look more "real" but in a unnatural way. To me it seems sort of outta place and distracting, maybe a little annoying. The problem is that not all scenes look good in 120hz mode so if you're watching a movie you gonna see some beautiful scenes but some not so great and that's why it get's annoying after awhile. This is just my personal opinion and I'd suggest you check out the local store first and see it for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back