LCD, do I need a $700 aftermarket cable for it?
Feb 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #16 of 37
The mythology around cable upgrades in audio is old and pervasive. Mostly, it has been around so long many people assume that it is backed up by fact, but really, it is not. But it is complicated by one factor... what we hear, is affected by what we see (and know, and expect - see the McGurk effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGurk_effect). 

So there have never been any objective tests that show audible changes with cables. No measurements or double blind tests to back up the position taken by the cable believers. Only when they know that a cable change has happened (and which cable is being used), do they "hear" differences. But it is tricky because of the way our brain works, they actually do believe they hear this. It's not the same as placebo, but it is also not really reflective of any audible improvement imparted by the cable. And since they (and others over the years) do experience the same thing, the mythology persists. 

Ultimately, for me, the takeaway is this.
1. There is no science or reasonable theory to support the idea of cables having any effect. 
2. There is no objective test which has yet shown cables to have any effect.
3. Even if there is some subjective effect we "hear" as a result of these other biases and phenomena, we are at best chasing that last half of a percent of performance from our rigs. Money spent on cables (aside from usability and aesthetic decisions) should probably wait until the VERY end, when you have already maxed out the possible performance of every other component in your line. If ever. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 37
I've heard most people say that they ALL give a better sound. Case-in-point. A friend of mine said you will only hear the difference with high resolution material.

I bought my Q cable for this reason, but also:

I need something shorter than the stock's length as it keeps hitting my chair's wheels.
I want something more comfortable and lighter. The stock cable sucks for ergonomics.
It looks MUCH COOLER! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am getting it tomorrow but will not judge until I let it burn-in for a while. But if it doesn't give a better sound, the other reasons are worth the $200 I spent. Look at this momma! 
atsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
Because I'm kind of a noob in this regards and would actually want to know if they make a difference, I know my cameras and lenses but I'm really on the edge regarding cables, especially when that blind test of coat hanger and supposedly very high quality cable and they couldn't tell the difference...

Grev, in that case, I would stick with the open mind.  There isn't a "consensus" about cables, and hasn't been for decades now, and that should tell you something.  

Why are you so interested in cables anyway?  Are you looking to change or improve your system?  If so, try an EQ, or VST plug-in.  They're free, and are pretty much guaranteed to work.  

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
Quote:

Grev, in that case, I would stick with the open mind.  There isn't a "consensus" about cables, and hasn't been for decades now, and that should tell you something.  

I don't know about this. There is no consensus in the same way that some people still think evolution is open for debate ... that doesn't mean there is a reasonable chance that they are right, no matter how long they've been holding onto their position. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 37
I am looking at cables because with the LCD-2, people are saying the after market cables are giving much performance boost the the headphones, it is why I asked and after looking at the specs with cable supplied and the after market ones, they use very similar materials.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 37
My feeling always has been that if esoteric/aftermarket cables made any real change to the sound of headphones they would be included by the companies that spend (I hope) countless hours and dollars trying to improve their headphone designs.

Does anyone really think that Sennheiser, for example, would cripple the sound of their high-end headphones by using cables that didn't allow the true potential to come through?  

I think it is basically all in peoples heads. This is coming from someone who believed in high end interconnects until someone helped me blind test them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:
My feeling always has been that if esoteric/aftermarket cables made any real change to the sound of headphones they would be included by the companies that spend (I hope) countless hours and dollars trying to improve their headphone designs.

Does anyone really think that Sennheiser, for example, would cripple the sound of their high-end headphones by using cables that didn't allow the true potential to come through?  

I think it is basically all in peoples heads. This is coming from someone who believed in high end interconnects until someone helped me blind test them.

Or, as has been brought up in previous discussions, they would make their own optional aftermarket cables to sell. It's not like it's very hard.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #24 of 37
And while we're on the topic, are you going to recable the insides of your amp or DAC?  How come nobody brings that up?  Surely those wires or PCB traces need recabling too, to bring out their fullest potential?  /sarcasm

edit: well actually sometimes PCB layout isn't really optimized and you could do better with different routing.  That's aside from the point of the material and construction of the wires though.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #25 of 37

Quote:

I always wondered about that. I recently purchased Blue Heavens for $145 'cause they were on major sale. There were cheaper options there but I didn't want to miss out on the sale. Now I'm looking at Q's $300 pair but wonder if I would hear any difference.

Anyway, I feel that a $200 cable is worth it for something more comfortable, even if it doesn't change the sound. The LCD-2 stock cable sucks for comfort and Audeze knows it! Even if it sounds the same the damn thing has gotta be replaced if you're a perfectionist. Audeze costs us extra money...

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #26 of 37
Cables may have one real affect on sound and that is by resistance causing slight volume variations. Vary volume, especially louder and SQ gets better. But that is not fully tested. I have noticed it with my cables, but do not have the means to test the resistance and volume leveling. Attenuated cables and jacks work in the same way.

Other than that the consistent results of sighted testing = biggest differences, blind comparison = some differences, but price of the cable is no longer a factor and finally DBT = no discernable difference at all, means that any difference is down to other factors and not the cable itself.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 37
Yeah, so I got my Q in. These is an improvement but it's small. I like what I'm hearing. $200 is nothing...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533209/lcd-2-and-lcd-3-owners-which-aftermarket-cable-do-you-use/2070#post_8143007

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 37
Haha, thanks.  It's human nature to want new gear/things, evident by nearly 140 pages at that thread and only 2 pages here, I thought there would be pages of science proving cables don't matter. :p

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #30 of 37
You don't need pages upon pages, when the evidence is concise and conclusive. :) It is only subjective claims that have a huge case they must build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back