LCD-5 is emh, interesting…
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #16 of 42
Wow, I had no idea it was only 15 ohms. I think the lowest Hifiman I've heard of is 25 ohms?

Anyway, for such l low impedance headphone go with solid-state of low output impedance. Better off avoiding tubes unless you know which ones can output a lot of power.

My memory is a bit foggy, actually LCD-5 is 14 ohm. Power handling max at 5W (based on their web).

Don’t think you know ohms law.

enlighten me my dear sir

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 42
1024px-Ohm%27s_Law_Pie_chart.svg.png

You need to know 2 of the 3 variables to figure out power. Most “high power” amps are jacking up voltage which does little to tame big planar.

Amp not limited by current means at the same output voltage when you reduce imp by 50% your current goes up by 100%.

There are obviously more parameters that are important but if I see an amp that’s current limited I skip.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 42
I run my LCD-5 off of my TT2 as well as my iFi zen stack (depending what room I’m in). I have zero issues currently and did experience some light fatigue but no longer.
As everyone says, different strokes different folks and something about miles :)
I have to say, that it does sound better with this setup, but the light fatigue remains. I wonder if this is LCD or just planar drivers in general.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 42
1024px-Ohm%27s_Law_Pie_chart.svg.png

You need to know 2 of the 3 variables to figure out power. Most “high power” amps are jacking up voltage which does little to tame big planar.

Amp not limited by current means at the same output voltage when you reduce imp by 50% your current goes up by 100%.

There are obviously more parameters that are important but if I see an amp that’s current limited I skip.

So which part of A90 that doesn't suit the job to drive LCD-5 in term of power requirement?

This amp produce 7,6 watt at 16 ohm. The output impedance of A90 at 0.2 ohm.

Audeze LCD-5 is 14 ohm with 90dB sensitivity. Based on https://www.hear.audio/2019/06/01/headphone-power-calculator/ to produce 125dB (which is way higher than needed), it needs 6.63V and 0,475 ampere or at 3,1 watt of power.

If that is not enough, then ok, you are right, we may need power plant to light up LCD-5.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 42
The A90 is more than plenty to drive the LCD-5. I have an RME ADI-2 DAC that pushes my HE-500 (89 db/mW sensitivity, 38 ohms) to absurd levels, and that is less powerful than the A90.
I suggest trying out some EQ. If you don't have it already, try Equalizer APO and use some kind of Sine wave generator. The fatiguing sound you're hearing may very well be a peak in the treble somewhere. Try a sine wave sweep starting from 5kHz up to 20 kHz, and if you hear any sharp peaks, use EQ to filter it out.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 42
Louder does not mean more powerful or better. It’s a basic concept. It’s a mistake to use budget amps to drive TOTL cans.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #22 of 42
Louder does not mean more powerful or better. It’s a basic concept. It’s a mistake to use budget amps to drive TOTL cans.

Why is A90 current limited, how much current can the a90 do ?

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 42
Why is A90 current limited, how much current can the a90 do ?
If A90 were not current limited it would double in power with every halfing of impedance. I have no idea how much LCD5 can require in any given instance, including any instantaneous current draw requirement. But limiting current to a low impedance is not ideal let alone a big planar.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 42
If A90 were not current limited it would double in power with every halfing of impedance. I have no idea how much LCD5 can require in any given instance, including any instantaneous current draw requirement. But limiting current to a low impedance is not ideal let alone a big planar.

If its current limited then how much current can it do - the amp ?

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 42
You guys are clueless. Numbers without any meaning and without a lick of understanding.
Your FOTM A90 can do 1.4A from the TPA6120A2. Your FOTM THX hard limits 1A. Everyone loves AHB2, HPA4.

Christ.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #26 of 42
You guys are clueless. Numbers without any meaning and without a lick of understanding.
Your FOTM A90 can do 1.4A from the TPA6120A2. Your FOTM THX hard limits 1A. Everyone loves AHB2, HPA4.

Christ.

I knew the answer, but he is making claims about limits, yet doesn't define the limit.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #27 of 42
the childhood riddle in Head-Fiese:

… “how much current can a current amp crank if a current amp can crank current?”…

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 42
Opamp output device? That’s even more pathetic than I thought. Use budge amp get budget result.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 42
Opamp output device? That’s even more pathetic than I thought. Use budge amp get budget result.
Why you bother conversing with these Head-Fi'ers when they don't have a tangibly basic understanding.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 42
I am just gonna ignore the amp power sub thread here :gs1000smile:

I tried them tonight with both Toping and my new Riviera AIC10-Bal. They sound the same. However I took your advice and started looking into EQs.

I am currently trying SoundSource on a mac with Audeze LCD-5 Parametric EQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/Audeze LCD-5/Audeze LCD-5 ParametricEQ.txt)

It basically fixed the fatigue problem. It is great that it did, but it also makes me worried that there are even better EQ settings out there!

Also Dave's DSD and PCM modes change the sound dramatically, I really don't fully understand why, but maybe some of you can point me into the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back