LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
May 4, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #167 of 207
I recently listened to the HD800s and the LCD 3s.  The 800s were MUCH more to my taste.  Now I want to figure out a set up to go with the HD 800s--amp, dac, and cables.  I'd like the whole thing to be portable and preferably balanced.  I want to avoid sibilance, but I don't want to lose any of the 800s clarity and soundstage.  Any suggestions?

May 4, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #168 of 207
I recently listened to the HD800s and the LCD 3s.  The 800s were MUCH more to my taste.  Now I want to figure out a set up to go with the HD 800s--amp, dac, and cables.  I'd like the whole thing to be portable and preferably balanced.  I want to avoid sibilance, but I don't want to lose any of the 800s clarity and soundstage.  Any suggestions?

iPod>RSA71B>Blue Dragon Balanced Cables.

Previously I've tried the Rx3-B but its just slightly more treble friendly for the HD800s.
Am awaiting a CLAS-dB and will let you know what it adds to my RSA rig.

May 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #171 of 207
Quote:

>>>>iPod>RSA71B>Blue Dragon Balanced Cables.

>>>>Previously I've tried the Rx3-B but its just slightly more treble friendly for the HD800s.
>>>>Am awaiting a CLAS-dB and will let you know what it adds to my RSA rig.

Many thanks for the recommendation.  Do you think the CLAS-dB/RSA71B combo would be better than just getting an RSA Intruder?  I'm sure the CLAS is a better DAC than what you'd get with the intruder, but I thought there might be an advantage to having fewer components, and hence fewer cables and connections between components.  Or does having a better DAC trump that consideration?

May 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #172 of 207
I don't think the Intruder can work as a DAC with idevices.

Got the CLAS -dB and I must say the improvement is significant. The balanced input into the 71B takes it to another level in terms of resolution, clarity and soundstage.
Absolutely no unwanted sibilance with HD800s.

Will report back after 50hrs of burn in of the CLAS-dB

May 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #174 of 207
Currently using the Oppo BDP-105 feeding XLR to the Schiit Mjolnir.  It sounds terrific with the LCD-2, LCD-3 and HD800.  Bonus:  I can listen to the HD800 and LCD-2/3 at the same time because the outputs are active simultaneously.  I find the LCD-2 a bit harder to drive than the LCD-3, curiously.  Before I had the Schiit I was considering selling the HD800, but either the amp quality or being driven balanced (or both) really helps the HD800 with bass quality and overall smoother sound.  Soon I will try the HD580/600/650 with this amp to see how far it takes them.  I felt the Mjolnir drives the HE-500 decently, but my FirstWatt F1 improved the sound of that headphone, and especially the HE-6 (and of course, my AKG K1000). P.S.  While I felt the LCD-3 was better than the LCD-2 in most regards it was not worth the extra $1K for me, so the LCD-2 is here to stay with the HD800.  The comfort factor of the HD800 may eventually negate the need for the LCD-2, but MAN that headphone LOVES Opeth...
atsmile.gif

Apologies for the rambling post, but I have been enjoying headphone listening again and missed this community!

May 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #175 of 207
I had the pleasure of having the Cavalli Liquid Gold, the LAu, for a few days.  I doubt there is a better amp for the LCD's or the 800's that this.  Yes it is expensive and yes they are limited production.  Worth every penny if you've got it.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #177 of 207
I was just at T.H.E. Home Entertainment show in Newport Beach and finally got to audition the LCD-3s.  I thought they were nice, but I much preferred my HD800 setup.  I was going to buy a pair if they blew me away, I'd come with the money ready to go... but they sounded like an expensive high-end pair of headphones, but nothing more than that, so I passed-- and I'm confident that my current rig will be around for quite a while.

I have the HD800 at home paired with a Woo Audio WA5LE. The WA5 isn't all that impressive out of the box.  Good quality, great build, but nothing particularly insanely mind-bending.  I had to roll tubes to get take the HD800 to the next level.  The rectifier choice and 300B choice were pretty easy for me, based on reviews.  I chose the EML 5U4G rectifier and the EML 300B, both mesh, and right there it's at $1000 for just the output and rectifier tubes.  

The hard part was finding drivers that brought the best out of the HD800.  And I tested a good $1000 - $1200 in driver tubes-- 6 different pairs-- before finding a set that got the bass 'just right'.  

It's been a bit of a journey, but I've been thrilled with this rig for 6 months now.  I still have a bunch of driver tubes I've been selling off over time.  I hear the Liquid Fire is something to hear with the HD800, but after hearing people rave about the LCD-3 and then getting to hear it in person-- I feel very good about the synergy going on at home.  I'm confident that short of Stax, which I've never auditioned, this combo is very hard to beat-- though getting there cost me a small fortune.

Your mileage may vary.

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #178 of 207
Quote:
I was just at T.H.E. Home Entertainment show in Newport Beach and finally got to audition the LCD-3s.  I thought they were nice, but I much preferred my HD800 setup.  I was going to buy a pair if they blew me away, I'd come with the money ready to go... but they sounded like an expensive high-end pair of headphones, but nothing more than that, so I passed-- and I'm confident that my current rig will be around for quite a while.

I have the HD800 at home paired with a Woo Audio WA5LE. The WA5 isn't all that impressive out of the box.  Good quality, great build, but nothing particularly insanely mind-bending.  I had to roll tubes to get take the HD800 to the next level.  The rectifier choice and 300B choice were pretty easy for me, based on reviews.  I chose the EML 5U4G rectifier and the EML 300B, both mesh, and right there it's at $1000 for just the output and rectifier tubes.  

The hard part was finding drivers that brought the best out of the HD800.  And I tested a good $1000 - $1200 in driver tubes-- 6 different pairs-- before finding a set that got the bass 'just right'.  

It's been a bit of a journey, but I've been thrilled with this rig for 6 months now.  I still have a bunch of driver tubes I've been selling off over time.  I hear the Liquid Fire is something to hear with the HD800, but after hearing people rave about the LCD-3 and then getting to hear it in person-- I feel very good about the synergy going on at home.  I'm confident that short of Stax, which I've never auditioned, this combo is very hard to beat-- though getting there cost me a small fortune.

Your mileage may vary.

Well,

Maybe if you roll some tubes, you can get the same satisfying results out the LCD-3s "in your setup" at home as you did with the HD800s.  Nothing like having them at home and tweaking your setup - like you did with the HD800s.  Heck, if you heard the HD800s at that same show for the first time on "their" setup, you might not like them as well.

Also, please explain what "sounded like an expensive high-end pair of headphones" means?

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #179 of 207
Quote:

Well,

Maybe if you roll some tubes, you can get the same satisfying results out the LCD-3s "in your setup" at home as you did with the HD800s.  Nothing like having them at home and tweaking your setup - like you did with the HD800s.  Heck, if you heard the HD800s at that same show for the first time on "their" setup, you might not like them as well.

Also, please explain what "sounded like an expensive high-end pair of headphones" means?

Oh, certainly.  I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on the LCD-3.  I'm not.  I just didn't get a whole new dimension of bass, as I was sort of hoping for when I put them on.  They sounded good-- even great.  But not some sort of sonic revelation I'd been led to expect, and the sound was, to my ears, not better than the HD800-- just a bit different.  

By an "expensive high-end pair of headphones" I mean just that-- they sound like they should cost a good deal of money, and they do.  But they didn't blow me away.  I wasn't wowed.  I was expecting something really amazing given all that I've read about the LCD-3 to this point-- and it fell a bit short of my expectations.  I was prepared to buy a pair-- but after hearing them-- I don't believe they will give me a better overall listening experience than the HD800.

I will say-- what surprised me most about the LCD-2, LCD-3, HE-6 and HE500 is the comfort.  I've read so much about how much these headphones hurt, and how the build quality could be improved-- but I experienced no discomfort at all, and found all four headphones to be enjoyable on the head.  I wasn't even bothered by the weight of them, as some have reported.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #180 of 207
Quote:
Worth $6.5K 
eek.gif
  when a sub 1K amp (Mjolnir) get about the best there is to get out of the LCDs.  Just can't justify a $5K increase 
blink.gif

If that amp does it for you that's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back