LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #138 of 207
How does the HD 800 do without an amp? I'm using Grado's RS1i's now, and they sound great just plugged into my ipod. I'm considering getting the hd 800's as well, but don't really want to have an amp as well. But I would not want to sacrifice sound quality. Any opinions?

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #139 of 207
Quote:
How does the HD 800 do without an amp? I'm using Grado's RS1i's now, and they sound great just plugged into my ipod. I'm considering getting the hd 800's as well, but don't really want to have an amp as well. But I would not want to sacrifice sound quality. Any opinions?

If unamped is the way you would like to go with headphones, stay far far away from the HD800's.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #140 of 207
Quote:

If unamped is the way you would like to go with headphones, stay far far away from the HD800's.

But if you think about the possibilities of amp upgrades in the future and how HD800 will scale with each gear change, they are still a good choice, even tho an expensive one. 

I actually find the HD800 to be the perfect tool to find the "hidden junk" in my music collection. To me, I want my headphones to be as revealing as possible. For pure musical enjoyment, nothing beats a good chair in front of a good set of speakers with the wine of choice of the day. 

Of course, I only speak for myself. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #146 of 207
Quote:
Quote:

The Teac is pretty new so there not much info about it.
But since you are in Japan maybe you could help us understand this review here:)
http://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201211/20/664.html

Actually I tried to test Teac UD 501 in Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama but it's only available in display (not connected to PC or any other sources). 

I tried to play a while with HP A8, but the PC there seems didn't have proper setup to bypass the Windows audio system. I never use windows media player, always Foobar or some other players to enjoy sound from DACs. Is it true HP A8 USB mode doesn't support bypass (exclusive mode)? Or may be I missed the setup in HP A8 itself?? I saw Antelope Zodiac too, but didn't have chance to test DAC quality because of the very same reason.

I tried Grace m903 in Fujiya Avic as well and was impressed with the sound, using my HD 800 (the source was CDP). But then the price was 2 times or more than HP A8 here.

That review in Japanese, I think you can use translator site (google, etc) but it's hard to understand the translated output sometimes LOL

I got to play with the UD 501 and the HD800's. I like the amp. It is simple and has plenty of power Seems like TEAC is trying to get back in the game. Definitely worth a listen along with the  Burson or Centrance.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #147 of 207
OP HERE

Just accidently bought the Liquid Glass. (well maybe not so accidently
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the help!

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #148 of 207
Grats. I hear it is really amazing. I'll hear it at our meet in 2 weeks.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #150 of 207
I liked the LL. Just not as crazy about the 009 as a whole package. Seems harder to tell differences between stat amps, or I just need more experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back