LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
Jan 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 207
I would have to say the E.C. Balancing act. Does awesome with both the hd800 and the lcd2/3.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 207
Quote:
The DNA Stratus is absolutely magnificent with the HD800 (even more so with Sophia Princess 2A3's), I have not heard the LCD3 with the Stratus but I believe several other Stratus owners have commented on that combination in the dedicated thread.

I don't doubt it at all.  The Sonett is one of the best amp for HD800 I tried...

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 207
X2 on the Liquid Fire

X2 on beta22 and WA22.

Liquid Fire is supposed to make the HD800 and even more specifically, the LCD-3 SING. The LF is regarded by many to be the best amp for the LCD-3, period. 

And I also happen to have a 3-channel B22 for sale right now in flawless condition at an extraordinary price! 

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 207
For a solid state amp you might consider the G109. Its far below your max budget (its only ~ $500) but project86 has said he really likes it with the LCDs and I'd imagine it might do well with the HD800 too as it seems to be geared toward the high impedance German cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 207
Quote:

Liquid Fire is supposed to make the HD800 and even more specifically, the LCD-3 SING. The LF is regarded by many to be the best amp for the LCD-3, period. 

And I also happen to have a 3-channel B22 for sale right now in flawless condition at an extraordinary price! 

I have the LF+the LCD2.2's.  I hope to have the 3's soon.  The 2's sing as well and it is just captivating listening where you lose track of time............

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 207
Yes, the LF with Planars in general is supposed to be real fine. I'll get to hear the LCD2.2 for the first time with my LF very soon. Very excited. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 207
Bryston BHA-1. I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet. If price were no object for me, (I need to keep it under 1k) that's the route I'd go. Being that you have the preference for solid state.

Morbid's right, the Liquid Glass is phenomenal, but really you should not just be considering maybe going with tubes, but be a truly die-hard tube rolling fiend with tubes coming out the whazzoo. That's the ideal LG owner methinks, and the LG is first and foremost a tube purists dream amp. Alex went beyond the beyond to design an amp that perfectly conveys a given tubes characteristics while adding or taking away nothing from that sound. Morbid keep me honest here, I'm paraphrasing what Alex told us that day at the record store.

Best,
Dave

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 207
Quote:
I would have to say the E.C. Balancing act. Does awesome with both the hd800 and the lcd2/3.

+1

The LCD 3 and HD800 are my two favorites, but the ECBA is without a doubt the most important part of my audio chain. Highlights include an usually large but realistic soundstage with plenty of micro detail that isn't in your face but there to convince your ears that what you're listening to is actually right in front of you. Also, the only reason you should be avoiding tubes is the price, not the sound.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 207
The ECBA looks nice but I think 3200ish is going to be my upper limit.  Keep the suggestions rolling. Its definitely helping me narrow things down!

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #28 of 207
Hi,

I just sold my soloist and upgraded to the DNA Stratus, which is a better amp in every way with the LCD-3's :)

I also heard the wa-22, wa-2, liquid fire - which were all better than the soloist - also more expensive.

I did not hear the LF and the stratus back to back, but from audio memory I would pick the stratus as my favorite - however - my stratus has updated tubes and powercord and the LF I heard had stock tubes + updated power cord.  I have arranged a mini meet in a months time, so if you are keen to hear thoughts of a back to back comparison let me know..

The friend who sold the stratus to me loved the combo of the hd800's and the lcd-3's too.

Very happy with the stratus + 3's - as anyone should be considering the price!

gav.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 207
Bryston BHA-1. I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet. If price were no object for me, (I need to keep it under 1k) that's the route I'd go. Being that you have the preference for solid state.

Morbid's right, the Liquid Glass is phenomenal, but really you should not just be considering maybe going with tubes, but be a truly die-hard tube rolling fiend with tubes coming out the whazzoo. That's the ideal LG owner methinks, and the LG is first and foremost a tube purists dream amp. Alex went beyond the beyond to design an amp that perfectly conveys a given tubes characteristics while adding or taking away nothing from that sound. Morbid keep me honest here, I'm paraphrasing what Alex told us that day at the record store.

Best,
Dave

It is flat out the best dynamic amp I've heard, no doubt. The LF is a fantastic amp but if you have patience to find the perfect tube for each of your cans the LG beats it hands down.

It just that good. The whole idea behind it is to be as transparent as possible while voicing only the tubes you give it. So you hear each tube.

Basically, what dmcs said. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back