LCD-2 sound in an IEM?
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vonx

100+ Head-Fier
Does it exist?

What is the closest thing you have heard to the LCD-2 in an IEM?

Compare and contrast the differences in soundstage, bass, mids, and highs.

I listened to the LCD-2 and it was PERFECT, but i don't really want a full size headphone and to be chained to a desk with a desktop amp.

Please give insight, thank you

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 14
I have read somewhere on sm3 threads that sm3 pro sound very similar to lcd 2, OP was labeling it as lcd's little brother (not the same quality, but close).

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 14
JH16 is close? Although IEM sound-stage compared to full headphones

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 14
I have read some people would compare the mids of ES5 to LCD 2. JH 16 sounds nothing alike. I am looking for it too. But I highly doubt these IEMs exist..

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 14
To me the closest match with LCD-2 sound in IEMs are Klipsch Image X10i( crisp highs, fairly wide soundstage, warm detailed mids, deep rich smooth bass, overall warm, crisp rich soundsignature).

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Its hard to class an IEM versus a full sized..  especially one of the LCD-2s size.

The SM3's In ear methods allow to a certain extent, greater attention to detail (not greater detail, just greater attention to them) due to the proximity of the sound drivers to your eardrums. And yes the soundstage is more intimate in the IEM, in fact the 'stage' made by both gear are totally different.

LCD-2 has a great bass body and extension thats backed up by this strength, that has you feeling that its not even breaking a sweat producing and controlling the bass notes of any level or depth.

Both appear rather dark to me. With the SM3 slightly more mid-oriented than the LCD-2 and thus 'darker'. Treble are just okay with both. Not the best in class by a long shot.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 14
A copy of a post I made somewhere in the mammoth LCD-2 thread:

In my experience having the JH13's for two years and the LCD-2's for a year (just ruling out FOTM for either) here are the pros/cons: 

JH13 Pros:
  1. Potent Portable
  2. Easy to drive 
  3. Hard to break
  4. Isolation
  5. Variety of use (I use them while sleeping and they sound great and block out all noise)
  6. Smoother and faster sound than the LCD-2's 

Cons:
  1. You can't show your friends how awesome your headphones are
  2. Depreciation
  3. Cable breaking (one of the ears will start shorting out every 6 months with the stock cables, I've replaced 4 times.)
  4. Hassle of molds, especially if they don't seal right and you have to send back, etc
  5. Lacks impact/slam of conventional headphones, kal vachomer for an ortho like the LCD-2.  (I am not talking about bass.  All IEMs will have a certain lack of impact that conventional headphones have.)
  6. Needs a remold every few years
  7. The technology seems to be just hitting its stride over the last couple years.  Within a few short years there will be a plethora of companies with a myriad of options, prices will plummet due to so much competition, and the quality will only get better.  Do you want to invest that much money in a technology in its adolescence without the ability to recoup your investment?

The LCD-2's pros:
  1. Asethetics (subjective)
  2. Premium materials, accessories, case
  3. Hold up their value fairly well
  4. Great impact/slam, very involving analog sound across the spectrum (impressions from r1)
  5. Well priced against competition
  6. Ortho-right-is (try saying that in a yoda voice)
  7. Audeze aren't pumping out a new model every 8 months (they've done one fairly major tweak since the LCD-2 came out)

Cons:
  1. Your friends will steal your headphones because of how cool they are
  2. Needs home setup to drive it in a way that will do it justice
  3. Size/Weight/Clamp depending on who you ask (only the size bothers me, I have to slide them too far forward if I lay on my back on a pillow)
  4. While orthos have been around forever, the release of the LCD-2 helped to hasten the advent of the ortho-age, and it is foreseeable that this will cause a flood of competitors and innovation in the field that will have the same effect on price and quality mentioned with IEM's/BA drivers.
  5. Not portable at all.  Even if you do have the moxie to lug it around... it is like a baby.  People will stare at you because how loud it is, you'd never want someone to steal it, it makes tasks that used to be a breeze unwieldy and cumbersome, and its probably best not to drop it.
  6. Some people claim they don't want to buy from a company that may be out of business in five years.  I find this ridiculous as Audeze are successful and have grown exponentially.  But even if they do go out of business, DIY repair companies will crawl out of the woodwork, and the price of a used LCD-2 will inflate to near R-10 levels of extortion.  So I see it as a win-win, not a con at all.

As far as customer service, both companies have a lot of positive and negative feedback.  Factoring in the JH3A and Jerry Harvey's cocky stability (they'll never do repairs for free, they always find ways it wasn't in your warranty, hence $200 so far in upkeep) and I give the edge to Audeze.

Hope that helps.

To elaborate, while they do not sound exactly like the LCD-2's, (definitely less dark, faster, more smooth/less grain, less impact) they have been the perfect complement to them.  They are both among the best from bottom to top.  The JH13 have more pronounced highs, but never sound piercing or overly bright.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Does it exist?

What is the closest thing you have heard to the LCD-2 in an IEM?

Compare and contrast the differences in soundstage, bass, mids, and highs.

I listened to the LCD-2 and it was PERFECT, but i don't really want a full size headphone and to be chained to a desk with a desktop amp.

Please give insight, thank you

What version of the LCD-2 did you hear, V1 or V2 and what source/amp was used?  Here is my old review comparing the LCD-2 (V1) with the EM3 Pro and EP-10 Plus.  And I compare the LCD-2 (V1) with the SA-43 in this review, although it is a very limited comparison.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 14
I have read a lot of your writings recently! Also the one you compared like 10 IEMs. Truly amazing! U making me purchase another IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

What version of the LCD-2 did you hear, V1 or V2 and what source/amp was used?  Here is my old review comparing the LCD-2 (V1) with the EM3 Pro and EP-10 Plus.  And I compare the LCD-2 (V1) with the SA-43 in this review, although it is a very limited comparison.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
I have read some people would compare the mids of ES5 to LCD 2. JH 16 sounds nothing alike. I am looking for it too. But I highly doubt these IEMs exist..

I slightly agree with this, IMO. 

Being the owner of LCD-2 R2 and the ES5, I can say they both give me that "intimate", in-your-head experience with music.
They both do not extend the soundstage which I do not really care for but the music is presented in a very smooth, well-blended manner; it just sounds good to me.
Mids and vocals are presented very forward and closely to the listener on both IEM (as expected) and headphone.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I have read a lot of your writings recently! Also the one you compared like 10 IEMs. Truly amazing! U making me purchase another IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Thank you!  I will try to A/B the LCD-2 V1 and SA-43 with a wider range of tracks a little more in the near future, maybe later this week and update the review.

Quote:
I slightly agree with this, IMO. 

Being the owner of LCD-2 R2 and the ES5, I can say they both give me that "intimate", in-your-head experience with music.
They both do not extend the soundstage which I do not really care for but the music is presented in a very smooth, well-blended manner; it just sounds good to me.
Mids and vocals are presented very forward and closely to the listener on both IEM (as expected) and headphone.

That sounds logical from what I have read about the ES5.  I can imagine the Miracle is also very similar from my reading and the 5-way has similar qualities but is a step up from the LCD-2 V1 to me due to sounding more tonally accurate and having higher resolution, although the LCD-2 V1 does have a larger presentation than any of my custom IEMs.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
That sounds logical from what I have read about the ES5.  I can imagine the Miracle is also very similar from my reading and the 5-way has similar qualities but is a step up from the LCD-2 V1 to me due to sounding more tonally accurate and having higher resolution, although the LCD-2 V1 does have a larger presentation than any of my custom IEMs.

Agreed, the ES5s can't beat the presentation of the LCD-2 R2.
When the ES5s are in my ears and all that music is swirling around in my head on the subway, it sounds pretty damn good but when I put the LCD-2 R2 on at home, it just on another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back