LCD-2 rev2 vs LCD-3 with lower quality music (but lossless)
Jan 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

RustA

Aka: Banned member MHOE/MetalHOE.
I am wondering if the LCD-3 would be a significant upgrade over LCD-2 rev2 for modern genres - different types of pop, rock and metal. My library only consists of lossless music and some of them are of studio quality. However, I would say that about 90 - 95 % of the files are definitely not on the level of classical recordings in terms of quality (compression, occasional clipping).

Thanks in advance!

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 60
Quote:
I am wondering if the LCD-3 would be a significant upgrade over LCD-2 rev2 for modern genres - different types of pop, rock and metal. My library only consists of lossless music and some of them are of studio quality. However, I would say that about 90 - 95 % of the files are definitely not on the level of classical recordings in terms of quality (compression, occasional clipping).

Thanks in advance!

Heya,

The LCD-3 is not a significant upgrade over the LCD-2 at all. It's a very subtle difference. Not sure if that's worth over $1000+ difference to you. But frankly, since you're talking about 90-90% of them are not the highest quality, you may be putting way too much into the headphone considering your'e listening to media of that quality. I don't think it's worth going top of the line for that sort of thing. I would suggest you not go beyond a used LCD2 basically ($700~800 typically). And if you already have the LCD2, I would just be comfortable with it unless it simply doesn't do what you want, sound wise, in which case, you probably should explore other orthos.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 60
Quote:

Heya,

The LCD-3 is not a significant upgrade over the LCD-2 at all. It's a very subtle difference. Not sure if that's worth over $1000+ difference to you. But frankly, since you're talking about 90-90% of them are not the highest quality, you may be putting way too much into the headphone considering your'e listening to media of that quality. I don't think it's worth going top of the line for that sort of thing. I would suggest you not go beyond a used LCD2 basically ($700~800 typically). And if you already have the LCD2, I would just be comfortable with it unless it simply doesn't do what you want, sound wise, in which case, you probably should explore other orthos.

Very best,

Yes, I have the latest LCD-2 revision (with angled connectors). Basically, I am very happy about its performance and from what I have read, the only headphone that keeps the bass as good as it is with LCD-2 are LCD-3. I think that those are the only headphones I would consider as an upgrade right now (because of polite treble as well)

Those 90% were meant in comparison to quality classical or jazz recordings... I am simply a fan of modern music and certainly can hear its limitations due to worse mastering or recording process.

So you have heard both and do not find LCD-3s to be much better?

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 60
Quote:
So you have heard both and do not find LCD-3s to be much better?

Sorry, not to mislead, I have not listened to the LCD3. It's still new and not available at a lot of places and only a few people have them still and they're wildly expensive for some reason. But everything from good sources that I actually trust on reviews that are not just "omg the latest is the best!" type thing have the LCD3 pegged as better, but only very subtly so and the consensus is that it's not worth the massive price increase for such a small change. I would suggest you spend some time in the summit-fi forum and read all you can about the LCD3 since every thread with it tends to involve comparisons to the LCD2.

That said, what and why are you looking to upgrade? Upgraditis? With the limitation of the music quality, it makes me wonder. It's your money though. There are fun things you can do to change the sound up without getting new headphones. You're using an ortho. You can start playing with a new cable, speaker amplifiers and tube-dacs for example to really get fun with your ortho.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

That said, what and why are you looking to upgrade? Upgraditis? With the limitation of the music quality, it makes me wonder. It's your money though. There are fun things you can do to change the sound up without getting new headphones. You're using an ortho. You can start playing with a new cable, speaker amplifiers and tube-dacs for example to really get fun with your ortho.

Very best,

As I do not use speakers, I would like to have the best headphone setup. That's basically why I am asking. Of course, price/peformance ratio is important for me + suitability for my music (but as I said, I am happy with LCDs). I would rather spend additional 1000USD for LCD-3 (after selling LCD-2) than 500USD for a cable or 2000USD on an amp or DAC to be honest. In my opinion, the headphone itself makes by far the most significant difference.

Thank you for your responses, anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

As I do not use speakers, I would like to have the best headphone setup. That's basically why I am asking. Of course, price/peformance ratio is important for me + suitability for my music (but as I said, I am happy with LCDs). I would rather spend additional 1000USD for LCD-3 (after selling LCD-2) than 500USD for a cable or 2000USD on an amp or DAC to be honest. In my opinion, the headphone itself makes by far the most significant difference.

smily_headphones1.gif

That is certainly the right attitude to have, the transducer(the headphone in this case) has the most impact on what youre hearing.

I would say that the step up from the LCD-2 to the LCD-3 is certainly more than subtle. Upgrading DACs is subtle, specially once you get to the high end. I would say the difference between my Anedio D2 and a Buffalo III DAC was subtle. The last word i would use to describe the difference between the LCD-3 and the LCD-2 is subtle.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

That is certainly the right attitude to have, the transducer(the headphone in this case) has the most impact on what youre hearing.

I would say that the step up from the LCD-2 to the LCD-3 is certainly more than subtle. Upgrading DACs is subtle, specially once you get to the high end. I would say the difference between my Anedio D2 and a Buffalo III DAC was subtle. The last word i would use to describe the difference between the LCD-3 and the LCD-2 is subtle.

And how would you describe the difference in terms of sound? I am sure there is a difference and that it is to the better side for many but I am not sure if LCD-3 are going to work for me as well, given my genre preference and quality of recordings I like to listen to (modern compressed music). I am a bit worried that LCD-3 would be less forgiving... I find my LCD-2 rev2 to be about right in that regard - not too revealing, not too polite.

I have no need for much additional detail... Better soundstaging and imaging are for sure welcome (but I have no problem with LCD-2 here). Are LCD-3 much more bright than LCD-2?

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

This is so wrong, but I guess we all been there at the beginning, buying the best phones we can afford and than complaining that HD650 sound veiled.
KSC75 out of a good source can outperform HD650 driven by portable mp3 player.
From my experience in the order of importance
- source
- amplification
- phones
- cables

Is there anything particular with LCD-2 that you find limiting?

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:
This is so wrong, but I guess we all been there at the beginning, buying the best phones we can afford and than complaining that HD650 sound veiled.
KSC75 out of a good source can outperform HD650 driven by portable mp3 player.
From my experience in the order of importance
- source
- amplification
- phones
- cables

Is there anything particular with LCD-2 that you find limiting?

Someone should really conduct some kind of mass controlled blind test to find out just how big the differences are when switching around out all those components. Would be pretty interesting to note the differences in sound not knowing what components were switched out (aside from headphones of course, kinda hard to hide that switcharoo). I don't have a whole lot of experience trying out many different components aside from headphones and sources, but I've heard many experienced audio people claim practically the inverse of that ranking order (aside from cables anyway, those always tend to come in dead last). Intuitively, I would figure the headphones do have the most influence over the sound, just seeing as how they have 'the-final-say' as it were. Not to mention that I would figure a headphone's frequency response to be a lot more 'opinionated' and unique (compared to other parts of the same type [i.e. headphones]) than the other components. The only time I've ever experienced a source/amp fundamentally change a headphone's perceived sound signature was when I was using some of the Focusrite interfaces with a built-in loudspeaker emulation DSP. But of course, I am inexperienced enough to really comment on the matter with any certainty.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 60
I think you should purchase a good Amp like the Schiit Mjolnir before upgrading your headphones. The Mjolnir will make a good difference with your LCD-2s, especially for the type of music that you like.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 60
I think those that haven't heard both should not offer their 2cents. Sorry, Mal.

I also found the step from LCD-2 to LCD-3 more than subtle. Is it worth 2x as much? It's up to you to discern what's of meaningful value to you.

I think SoupRknowva completely nailed it. Sources at a point become VERY subtle. An upgraded amp will improve the LCD-2's to a certain point.
However the LCD-3 is just better all around. There's a nice treble lift that adds just enough without causing fatigue.
However less forgiving, it's still completely enjoyable and won't rip apart bad recordings.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 60

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

No problem :wink:

I have the feeling that my old pair of LCD-3 were veiled, anyway for now I'm more that happy with the LCD-2.

I held out so long on the LCD-3 because of the issues. I've always wanted to hear a veiled pair to know exactly what it sounded like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back