LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jul 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #377 of 1,111
Couldn't hurt to keep LCD-2 just for the few occasions that you need to be discrete.  I've been wanting to really power up my Sansui AU-717 but living in an apartment makes it tough to go the speaker route because I agree, speakers can move you in a way that headphones cannot.  But, LCD-2 still make me want to listen to music with albeit the compromise of a closed environment.

Good luck with your sale, seems like there will be a flood of them now that the LCD-2 version 2 is out.  You may find that the price people are willing to pay is less than you want to sell which will be good news for us 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'm just waiting now on word from Audeze to see what drivers my LCDs have for the sale.  My wife is against me selling the rig. Not because she thinks I might but another pair but because I will be without headphones and she doesn't want to see that happen.  I've never sold anything before that was not in person so I'm going to try the local market first see what happens. Maybe there is a savvy audiophile near me.  As for speakers I'll probably continue to use the small set of Mirage speakers I kept when for mixing when I sold off my big rig. I don't have the proper space for another real rig.    Perhaps I'll add an integrated tube amp to it.  It's actually more gratifying than headphones which don't get me wrong sound truly amazing.  Its just that even the small Mirage speakers have a soundstage with real depth front to back and height top to bottom.  Somehow its far more satisfying and enriching.  My neural pathways are made for thru the air sound. Now I just have t get my wife onboard with the idea...

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #378 of 1,111

Quote:
Couldn't hurt to keep LCD-2 just for the few occasions that you need to be discrete.  I've been wanting to really power up my Sansui AU-717 but living in an apartment makes it tough to go the speaker route because I agree, speakers can move you in a way that headphones cannot.  But, LCD-2 still make me want to listen to music with albeit the compromise of a closed environment.

Good luck with your sale, seems like there will be a flood of them now that the LCD-2 version 2 is out.  You may find that the price people are willing to pay is less than you want to sell which will be good news for us 
biggrin.gif

My wife has been telling me all day to keep the headphone rig and just get another speaker rig also.  Probably why I've kept her around for 25 years. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
   I think she just wants the LCD box to make a jewelry box out of.

How long have you had that Sansui AU-717?  Have you tried your cans with it?   Ever think of selling it?

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #379 of 1,111
I've only had the Sansui for about a month.  It can drive the LCD-2 with ease.  I haven't tried it hooked up to the DAC-2 because that goes along with my computer setup but it is good enough with my CD player alone.  I will probably have a bedroom setup of Marantz CD player > Schiit Bifrost > Sansui > LCD-2.  I wouldn't sell it.  It's too heavy to ship and I got a great deal on a pristine one.  

Quote:
My wife has been telling me all day to keep the headphone rig and just get another speaker rig also.  Probably why I've kept her around for 25 years. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
   I think she just wants the LCD box to make a jewelry box out of.

How long have you had that Sansui AU-717?  Have you tried your cans with it?   Ever think of selling it?

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #381 of 1,111

Quote:
I've only had the Sansui for about a month.  It can drive the LCD-2 with ease.  I haven't tried it hooked up to the DAC-2 because that goes along with my computer setup but it is good enough with my CD player alone.  I will probably have a bedroom setup of Marantz CD player > Schiit Bifrost > Sansui > LCD-2.  I wouldn't sell it.  It's too heavy to ship and I got a great deal on a pristine one.  

Where did you buy it?  I want to get one to restore.  Check out this link.  http://www.cdkands.com/AU717-1.html

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #382 of 1,111
Craigslist for $260.  Great deal.  Tough times and the guy had a lot of other hifi equipment so he parted with the AU-717.   It's a beautiful beast.  Based on pure sound, the Lyr + DAC-2 + LCD-2 sound better than CD player + AU-717 + LCD-2 but I'm betting if I threw in a DAC into the latter combo it would come up roses plus the option for speakers.

Quote:
Where did you buy it?  I want to get one to restore.  Check out this link.  http://www.cdkands.com/AU717-1.html

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #385 of 1,111
I guess that was a good deal considering how much these are going for on Ebay.  I'm not sure how much it is really worth, my first vintage amp.  Owner was about to pull the plug on the ad because most people wanted to give him $100 or less for the amp.  Craigslist can be good, bad, and ugly.  It's pristine but never been restored so I figure down the road it will need the usual suspects in terms of replacement parts.  Previous owner told me watch out because it could easily blow up most speakers.  

Wrong forum for this I guess but yes, sounds good with LCD-2 except with the Lyr + DAC-2 there is more focus than the CD player + 717.   I'll give another opinion 717 + LCD after I try this with a DAC behind the 717.

Quote:
$260?  How do you live with yourself!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #386 of 1,111
Just wanted to thank you guys for keeping this thread alive with your suggestions.  I have found more interesting and eclectic music here in the past 2 weeks than I have in a very long time, and that includes browsing the actual music forum here.

Currently listening to Arvo Part's Alina while studying and it is up there among the most beautiful music I have heard so far.

WarriorAnt, if you do decide to sell your LCD-2s, please keep popping in here once in a while with some more recommendations--I do enjoy your posts!  Also, thanks to jax (what an amazing collection!) and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #387 of 1,111

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you guys for keeping this thread alive with your suggestions.  I have found more interesting and eclectic music here in the past 2 weeks than I have in a very long time, and that includes browsing the actual music forum here.

Currently listening to Arvo Part's Alina while studying and it is up there among the most beautiful music I have heard so far.

WarriorAnt, if you do decide to sell your LCD-2s, please keep popping in here once in a while with some more recommendations--I do enjoy your posts!  Also, thanks to jax (what an amazing collection!) and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

My wife has insisted I keep my LCD's.  In fact she thinks selling them is OK as long as I update to the new version.  I mentioned to her that I might buy an integrated tube amp for my Mirage speakers to compliment my listening environment.  she thinks its a good Idea also. What am I going to do with her?  So I slept on it and decided to sell the LCD's today, go for the rev.2 and get a an integrated tube amp.   The new listening room will be confined to a 9X10 room set up for this purpose which is a bit of an adjustment for me considering I'm used to a listening room the size of a very large living room.  

Just to keep music in this post.  I never tire of this one.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #388 of 1,111
Arvo Part's Alina.  Excellent album suggestion.  He also has another album called Litany that I think might be interesting because Hilliard Ensemble is involved.

Quote:
Current/recent rotation:

- Jazz Vocal: Patricia Barber, Dave's True Stories, Cassandra Wilson
- Psychedelic Rock: It's A Beautiful Day, Grace Slick & the Great Society
- Classic Rock: Eric Clapton (esp. Unplugged), Allman Brothers Band, Blind Faith, Neil Young (esp. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere)
- Country/Folk: Cowboy Junkies (Trinity Session, Trinity Session Revisited), Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch
- Acoustic Blues: Kelly Joe Phelps
- Classical: Montserrat Figueras, Geoff Smith (15 Wild Decembers), Kim Kashkashian (esp. Asturiana), Arvo Part (Alina)
- Jazz: Anouar Brehem (esp. The Astouding Eyes of Rita)
- Contemporary Blues: Cowboy Junkies (20th Century Blues), Marianne Faithful (Rich Kids Blues), Mary Coughlan
- Soundtrack: L'Annulaire (Beth Gibbons)
- Intl. Pop: Veronique Sanson (Amoureuse)

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #389 of 1,111

Quote:
Arvo Part's Alina.  Excellent album suggestion.  He also has another album called Litany that I think might be interesting because Hilliard Ensemble is involved.

Glad you enjoyed it.  The Hilliard Ensemble is involved with quite a diversity of projects. 

If you enjoyed Alina, you might also like:

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #390 of 1,111
Silencio has an amazing cast of musicians, will definitely get that one.

Listening to Sonny Side Up with Rollins, Gillespie, Stitt
It's a must have album as well.  

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it.  The Hilliard Ensemble is involved with quite a diversity of projects. 

If you enjoyed Alina, you might also like:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back