LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jun 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #46 of 1,111
When I used to live in Rochester, NY the local NPR station had a show called Echoes that played world-wide fusion music from 10-11pm on Saturday. They used to play some fantastic music for 1 hour. A lot of their music can be purchased as well and is worth checking out.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #47 of 1,111
I understand that completely.  My college roommate played mostly Metallica and Pearl Jam, accompanied by his own sing-along blog.  And my rommate after college played mostly Dave Matthews.  I am just getting back to appreciating these artists but it does take a while after somebody in your past played it all the time.  Pops used to play Najee and Kenny G all of the time.  I remember that as being elevator jazz but maybe if I listen today it will be different.   Maybe not.

Quote:
Hendrix music was spoiled for me from college years, which is sad, I know.  I actually lived in the dorm for my first year of college and my next door neighbor was a big Hendrix fan.  The problem with that was that he was also mostly deaf (my school shares a campus with NTID) so in order for him to enjoy Hendrix, which was all he ever played, he played it at wall rattling volume....at all hours of the day and night.  This got old real fast, as did pounding on his door with no response, and many heated arguments.  We eventually sorted things out, but not before I was permanently scarred by hearing Hendrix music when it was anything but my choice, at volumes that could rattle your fillings if you were in the same room, on a really crappy system that had been wrung out from pushing it way too far.  For the life of me I cannot remember why he just didn't want to use headphones...I think he preferred feeling the music as well, which I can completely understand, though not from the perspective of hearing impairment.  I've been lately trying to get to know Hendrix music again in a different light, but that's coming slowly and is not without some flashbacks to those college years.  I'll check out that album...I do have it - thanks.  Hendrix is buried not far from where I live, and recently I photographed two of his Strats for a book on guitars I worked on, so I have a bit of curious incentive to learn more about him and his music.   

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #48 of 1,111
On it!  Thanks, this weekend I just need to break out the wallet and order used CDs and/or FLACs online.  Lots of great suggestions thus far and I haven't bought anything.  Maybe this Summer I'll try WarriorAnt's approach and try the local libraries as well as UW (I know they have DVDs for rental).

Quote:
I love this thread.

For indian classical, checkout Shiv Kumar Sharma, he plays an instrument called santoor that has a very beautiful sound. I'm a fan of indian singing and take classes in the indian vocal tradition. I you are really into indian vocal I suggest Pandit Pran Nath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUzBCPkro4E

There are lots of more easygoing indian vocal and Pandit Pran might not be one of them. Pran Nath on the nature of Ragas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg06upncRsY&feature=related

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 1,111

Quote:
When I used to live in Rochester, NY the local NPR station had a show called Echoes that played world-wide fusion music from 10-11pm on Saturday. They used to play some fantastic music for 1 hour. A lot of their music can be purchased as well and is worth checking out

I didn't have a TV or a radio when I was at RIT.  but I did spent a lot of time listening to live music at The Red Creek and eating at Jays Diner.  In 1976 the first act I ever saw at the Red Creek was Mose Allison.  What a treat that was.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #52 of 1,111
I get most of my stuff from my county library.  I order it up on the internet and then pick it up at the nearest branch.  In 6 years I'm still going thru the library.  Many people think the library is not a good place for music because the discs may be scratched but I have found the discs for the most part to be in good if not excellent condition.  Anyway if there is a tune I want to keep I use the application XLD to rip it with and this creates a high quality rip.

I found a large number of the CD's listed in this thread from my county library.  My current stash from library finds is 200 GB of tunes.  Mostly in AIFF format. Some converted to Apple losseless

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #53 of 1,111
Ughh...Jay's Diner 
rolleyes.gif
. I can imagine back then it might have been the hot spot =] Red Creek is a good place though. 
The echoes program can be viewed/heard from here http://www.echoes.org/
They really have some phenomenal artists on that show.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #54 of 1,111

Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart, CD: The New Jazz Divas

Apache Indian, Om Numah Shivaya, CD: Putumayo Presents World Reggae

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Right Where It Ends, CD: Interloper

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Central Plain, CD: Interloper

Patricia Barber, If I Were Blue,  CD: Cafe Blue

Livingstone Taylor, Isn't She Lovely CD: Ink

Black Dub, I believe in you CD: Black Dub

Laurie Anderson, My Right Eye, CD:Homeland

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #55 of 1,111
Dude, you're like listening to "Random" on my SqueezeServer! 

Love Melody Gardot - saw her in concert a few months back - don't miss her if you have the opportunity.  If you just picked that up from a compilation album then go out and get both of her albums, "Worrisome Heart" and "My One and Only Thrill" ...not a bad cut on either one of'em.  Amazing woman...incredible story of her life,  great music!

Unlike you, I live for lyrics.  I do enjoy many artists whose language I do not speak and where I don't understand a word of what they sing, but for me, lyrics are KING.  I thrive on lyrics...I feast on every word and listen for the all the emphasis and intonation that may give a clue to intention.  On Laurie Anderson's great new album, Homeland, check out the spoken piece, The Beginning of Memory.  Love her stuff throughout the years. 

Here's a few your posts have brought to mind (sorry, I'm a fan of the whole album and there are few I'd not recommend listening to their entirety, but I do listen on random occasionally):

Lhasa (self titled CD)
Madredeus, O Paraiso
Laurie Anderson, Bright Red (one of her more accessible projects - get your bass fix on the LCD-2's here)
Greg Brown, If I Had Known (Essential Recordings)
Sarah Jarosz, Song Up in her Head
Madeleine Peyroux, Dreamland

Quote:

Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart, CD: The New Jazz Divas

Apache Indian, Om Numah Shivaya, CD: Putumayo Presents World Reggae

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Right Where It Ends, CD: Interloper

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Central Plain, CD: Interloper

Patricia Barber, If I Were Blue,  CD: Cafe Blue

Livingstone Taylor, Isn't She Lovely CD: Ink

Black Dub, I believe in you CD: Black Dub

Laurie Anderson, My Right Eye, CD:Homeland

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #56 of 1,111

Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse Feat. The Flaming Lips, Revenge, CD: Dark Night Of The Soul

My Brightest Diamond, Feeling Good, CD: Dark Was The Night: A Red Hot Compilation [Disc 1]

Suzanne Vega, Caramel, CD:Nine Objects Of Desire

Suzanne Vega, Small Blue Thing, Suzanne Vega Close-Up, Vol 1, Love Songs

CocoRosie, Beautiful Boyz, CD: Noah's Ark

CocoRosie, Promise CD: The Adventures Of Ghosthorse And Stillborn (amazing on the LCD's)

The Tiny, Second Time Around, CD: Close enough

The Pierces, Kill! Kill! Kill!, CD: Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge

Gillian Welch, Look At Miss Ohio, CD: Soul Journey

Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers, Songs In The Night CD: Songs In The Night

Govinda, There Was Evolution, CD: Buddha Café 2

Antony & The Johnsons, Bird Gerhl, CD:I Am A Bird Now

Flogging Molly, If I Ever Leave This World Alive, CD: P.S. I Love You

Norah Jones, Sinkin' Soon, CD: Not Too Late

Sol.iLLaquists Of Sound, As If We Existed, CD: Commit This to Memory

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #57 of 1,111
Quote:
Unlike you, I live for lyrics.  I do enjoy many artists whose language I do not speak and where I don't understand a word of what they sing, but for me, lyrics are KING.  I thrive on lyrics...I feast on every word and listen for the all the emphasis and intonation that may give a clue to intention.  On Laurie Anderson's great new album, Homeland, check out the spoken piece, The Beginning of Memory.  Love her stuff throughout the years. 

Same here. The song means nothing to me if I can't understand the lyrics. It gets me emotionally attached to the music and puts me in the musician's shoes.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #58 of 1,111
[size=10pt]I'd definitely agree that public libraries are an excellent source; even if they only have "a limited collection", it is likely to be large in comparison to the scale of an individual's home collection. For the past 5 or 6 years I've made a practice of going about once every 2 weeks to the local library with a portable CD player and a pair of headphones (I use ATH M-50s for this); I spend as long as necessary finding and best of all, discovering music of interest (usually about 3 hours selecting 20 CDs). With this basic equipment I'm also very easily able to evaluate the sound quality of the recording and toss back those mastered with excessive dynamic compression (search "Loudness Wars").[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]As for what sort of music sounds best on the LCD-2s: First, I've discovered that with the amp I use (HeadRoom Balanced Desktop/Home) and very probably with many other if not all amps, these phones can be dramatically opened up by ditching the Audieze cables for one having 8 multi-stranded, insulated runs of silver wire. This by the way will also totally resolve the oft-criticized high frequency performance of the LCD-2s with zero negative effect. In my case, with the cables as supplied by Audieze, running the LCD-2s in balanced mode sounded best; this is even more so the case with the new cable. With this setup, literally any and all types of music sound fantastic, including large-scale complex orchestral passages; by far the most challenging for a single driver to resolve.[/size]

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #59 of 1,111
Hey WarriorAnt, do you have any recommendations for piano?  I recall you are a big into how piano is reproduced in headphones.  My collection of solo performances only includes the Keith Jarrett Koln Concert.  I listen to a lot of trios (piano, drums, bass) but was wondering if you had any personal favorites for solo piano. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #60 of 1,111
My county library system consists of 16 libraries throughout the county.  When I go to the county library website it presents all of the CD's in the system and I can order any of these and then it gets delivered to my local branch where I go and pick it up.  I haven't actually physically rifled through a collection in about 7 years. I pick up about 30 CD's a week. I get a lead on all the libraries new CD's through this website service which sends a list every Saturday morning.

http://www.wowbrary.org/index.aspx

Just plug in your local zip code to see if your library is on board and what new CD's DVD's and books they are getting.  Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back