LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jun 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 1,111

Toto Bona Lokua, Lisanga, CD: Putumayo Presents Music From The Chocolate Lands

Sara Bareilles, Gonna Get Over You, CD: Kaleidoscope Heart

Old Crow Medicine Show, Wagon wheel, CD: Putumayo Presents - Americana

The Little Willies, It's Not You It's Me, CD: Putumayo Presents - Americana

Jackie McLean, Hootnan, CD: Action

Jackie McLean, Blue Inn, CD: Jackies Bag

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 1,111
One of my goals will be to see out of Jax's 2000+ albums how much of my music does he have 
biggrin.gif

Another fav of mine, Yonderboi's "Shallow and Profound"
This album got a lot of attention in Europe.  He's a DJ but even if you are not into trip hop/downtempo music I would classify Shallow and Profound as an electronic jazz album.  Lots of layered detail, deep beats, and piano riffs for the LCD-2.
Excellent songs on this album are Milonga del Mar, Riders on the Storm and Road Movie.  You might not like every song but a good album to see what the LCD-2 can do in another genre like electronica.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 1,111

Quote:
One of my goals will be to see out of Jax's 2000+ albums how much of my music does he have 
biggrin.gif

LOL  It looks like you're in my neighborhood (Seattle) so you can stop by and find out. I frequently just do "Random" and very rarely do I feel inclined to skip what I'm hearing.  I actually like that way of getting introduced to music I haven't listened to more than once or twice.  It's all good... I just find I'm far more selective as I get older.   Ten or fifteen years ago I think my tastes would have been much broader.  Weird....  Things change I guess. There have certainly been very consistent an longstanding favorites, some of which are represented on those ten I mentioned in the "Flawless Album" thread I linked to earlier. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 1,111
I can't say I own these (yet), but Alessandro Carbonare's "Art Of The Clarinet" album sounds stellar. I've never heard a can that reproduces the sound of the clarinet more accurately than the LCD-2.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 1,111

Quote:
I can't say I own these (yet), but Alessandro Carbonare's "Art Of The Clarinet" album sounds stellar. I've never heard a can that reproduces the sound of the clarinet more accurately than the LCD-2.

Some generous headfier gave me that very CD for Xmas
o2smile.gif
and I can concur that it sounds wonderful on LCD-2's, though I am not so intimate with that instrument as my not-so-secret-Santa, clarinetman is though. I would say that's pretty high praise coming from someone who is that familiar with the instrument. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 1,111
2008 Helge Lien Trio album "Hello Troll".  Some exquisite piano playing combined with an amazing bass player and well-placed drumming.

Right from the Linn Records website:
"Comprising brilliant originals, piano solos and trio playing by pianist Helge Lien, bass player Frode Berg and drummer Knut Aalefjær, Hello Troll is possibly the best piano trio album ever to come from Norway."

I agree, amazing stuff from this trio and piano sounds natural on the LCD-2, as natural as possible not being live.  On the LCD-2, the piano is up front and center, also probably due to some good mixing and recording.  A group I would love to see live.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 1,111
I have heard of melt in your mouth and not in your hands. but melt away in your ears.... I must say I am thoroughly enjoying
Over the Rhine - Ohio

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #27 of 1,111
Two things: My listening is all over the lot-- everything from classical to hip hop-- with a particular taste for guitars (rock & blues) and keyboards (jazz & fusion). And second, like many I find the LCD-2 sounds great across genres; just about anything that is decently mastered will do. Hence I'm tempted to give a big list but instead I'll just list what I've been listening to for the past week that I find sounds particularly good on the LCD-2:

Derek Trucks, Already Free CD (it's rare that I like an entire album but this is one).

Lucinda Williams, Down the Big Road Blues and 2 Kool 2 be 4-Gotten [album version] from Car Wheels on a Gravel Road [Deluxe Edition]; Those Three Days from Live @ the FilmoreAre You Alright? from West.

Chick Corea/Gary Burton, What Game Shall We Play Today? from Crystal Silence [ECM Box Set]; La Fiesta [Duet Version] from New Crystal Silence.

Keb' Mo', More Than One Way Home and You Can Love Yourself from Just Like You.

Geez, I realized that there are so many others that I could list... 
smile.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 1,111
I listen mostly to Dave Matthews band as well. In addition to Crash, Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King is an excellent studio album. As for the live performances, Live Trax 7, from Hampton Coliseum is the best in terms of set list and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back