LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #468 of 1,111
The speed and soundstage from the LCD-2 on e.g. The Rippingtons "Life In The Tropics" - Avenida Del Mar is quite amazing. :) Take a listen @ 3:05 and onwards.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #469 of 1,111

Quote:
Before I fell into the state of between LCD's I was listening to this CD

Vienna Teng,  Waking Hour

My favorite tunes from this CD

Eric's Song

Unwritten Letter No.1

Say Uncle

Hey WarriorAnt, are you playing stuff off my server?  I mean honestly, about half the stuff you've been mentioning lurks on my music drive (FLAC of course).  I THOUGHT there was someone stealing CPU cycles.  You've been caught! 
beyersmile.png

I've been a Vienna Teng groupie for a few years now.  Saw her about 4 times last year in concert.  But now you've been stealing my Black Dub?  My Toto Bona Lakua?  all my Putamayo recordings? what gives here?

Given those you've listed, I'm sure you've had time to sample the following great stuff off my hard drive as well:

* Priscilla Ahn "When you grow up"
* Heather Nova "Jasmine Flower"
* Antje Duvekot "Boys, Flowers, Miles" or "near demise"
* Kris Delmhorst "
* Chris Purkea "Dryland"
* Leona Naess "I tried to rock you but you only roll"
* Po'Girl "Home to You"
* Jenny Lewis "Acid Tongue"
* Liz Wright "The Orchard"
* Trinity DeMask "Crucible" or "Third Road Home"
* Redbird "Redbird"

If you missed the Putamayo "Women of Spirit" you're missing a great LCD-2 demo album

Then there's Rodrigo y Gabriela.  Great guitar tone on these recordings

And of course more of my hard drive is classical than popular music.  I know you've got a jones for that too.  I mean, really, did I tell you you could grab all this music from me??

Best!

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #470 of 1,111

Quote:
Hey WarriorAnt, are you playing stuff off my server?  I mean honestly, about half the stuff you've been mentioning lurks on my music drive (FLAC of course).  I THOUGHT there was someone stealing CPU cycles.  You've been caught! 
beyersmile.png

I've been hacking into everyones drives!  

Just hunted down the stuff you listed!

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #471 of 1,111

Quote:
I've been hacking into everyones drives!  

Just hunted down the stuff you listed!

Jeez you work fast!  How much music do you actually buy?  I'm still old-school, and try to buy CD's directly off artists' websites, figuring they get a better cut that way.  I also buy CD's off CD Baby (higher share to artists), and recently have started buying Hi-Rez downloads from symphony orchestras.  I think I'm only good for about 6-10 new LP's or CD's per month, but I listen to them intensely!

Usually I get all reflective at the end of the year and make a list of the best new artists I've heard this year.  But the question of what is best music for LCD's translates to "what is best music" since most of us don't discriminate just for listening with cans.  I guess I'd say I listen to a lot more intimate music with headphones, but that's mostly cuz I'm wearing them while working.  After work hours I just switch to speakers (Maggies as you know) and blast out the big orchestral stuff until I get all the bad stuff out of my system.

My best of new-to-me music lists for the past few years was...
* Aaron Neville (a surprise to me, not a genre I listen to much)
* Arcade Fire (again not my thing, but liked the grammy winning album)
* Broken Bells (ditto)
* Danielle Doyle -- loved her voice, but songs are pretty trivial.  She was fun live in concert
* Putamaya - Acoustic Africa
* Rolf Lislevand - Diminuito was fantastic--a grand baroque rip, but didn't like the album that followed this Nuevo Musica.
* Girlyman -- great harmonies, but after a while I feel like I need to wash my hands.  maybe a guilty pleasure
* Po'Girl -- again really great as a live act, but some of the CD's are uneven.  Really like "Vagabond Lullabies" hated "Deer in the Night"
* Laurie Lieberman -- fun in person, but most of her music is badly recorded
* Wailin' Jennies -- great harmonies and very good musicianship 
* Feist -- great pop-y fun, and fun to see in concert
* Richard Bona -- did you realize he's a music professor at NYU or something now?
* Orla Fallon -- great voice, traditional Celtic
* Lyle Lovett -- everything, but especially Pontiac, It's Not Big It's Large, etc.
* The Subdudes -- great New Orleans party band, especially some of their live albums eg Live at Last
* you already mentioned many of my staples, like Greg Brown, Black Dub, etc.
* how about James McMurtry & the Heartless Bastards?  Especially "Childish Things" and "Just Us Kids"
* Crooked Still?  Saw them in concert this week.  Have three of their CD's
* The Duhks -- fun canadian band, but they've switched lead singers and I preferred the earlier one
* Ollabelle -- another fun group in concert, similar style to Crooked Still, but maybe more eclectic
* Hem is another of these roots groups, fun and the lead singer is great (Sally Elliason?)
* Rachael Yamagata is one of my all-time favorites.  Loved "elephants"
* Similarly smitten by Keri Noble, very vulnerable sounding, like especially "Fearless" and "When it Don't Come Easy" CD's
* Ruthie Foster is great fun in concert.  Her CD "Stages" is a fav
* Eddie from Ohio -- have all their CD's.  Again, a fun group in concert!  Esp. "Portable EFO Show" or "Three Rooms"
* then there's all the C&W stuff, like Alison Krauss, but I'm getting tired of typing.

Maybe this will take you a bit longer to digest?

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #472 of 1,111

Quote:
Jeez you work fast!  How much music do you actually buy? 

I get all my music from my County Library or from the city libraries here.

I bet you can find a trove of good stuff over at the Greenwich library or from the fairfield county system.   You could enjoy the leather recliners over in Greenwich, or at least they had them there last time I was there. 
biggrin.gif
  Westport, Norwalk, and Stamford libraries are well stocked I bet.  Try the websites for them all

I'll get right on that new list right after dinner!  Appreciate the listings for sure!

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #473 of 1,111
You guys are relentless; I can't keep up.... 
eek.gif

If someone could summarize this thread, I'd be both grateful AND impressed.

This is the best thread on Head-Fi that I've ever read; it focuses on what really matters - the music. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #477 of 1,111

Quote:
You guys are relentless; I can't keep up.... 
eek.gif

If someone could summarize this thread, I'd be both grateful AND impressed.

This is the best thread on Head-Fi that I've ever read; it focuses on what really matters - the music. 

We have some excellent contributors to the thread.  Everyone is posting great stuff, interesting and diverse.  

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #478 of 1,111
Starting from this prompt, here's a few more for y'awl.

Emmylou Harris, Deeper Well (from Wrecking Ball) and Time in Babylon (from Stumble into Grace)
Lucinda Williams, Righteously (from World Without Tears).

Taking a slant towards Rock, Valerie Carter's 'Just a Stone's Throw Away' is a classic album, if it's your style it can give you goosebumps. I'm also fond of Linda Ronstadt's 'Simple Dreams', both have excellent bands as well as great singers.

Moving further to the Rock side, try Little Feat's 'Waiting for Columbus'.

It's mostly old-style stuff though, and may therefore not be palatable to younger readers... 
wink.gif

Quote:
* then there's all the C&W stuff, like Alison Krauss, but I'm getting tired of typing.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #479 of 1,111

Quote:
If I had to choose one album only to keep forever it would be this one.   

I never get tired of this one.

I agree.. its an absolutely amazing album. Would love to listen to it on LCD2s

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #480 of 1,111
Adele "21", Bernard Lavilliers " Samedi Soir A Beyrouth", Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan "Mustt Mustt", and Hannah Fury "Through The G**h".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back