LCD-2 Break in
Feb 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #31 of 42
After a 60 day wait I finally got THE email! Should have mine soon!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #33 of 42
Just to follow up since I started the thread.

I really have not noticed much in the way of break in over the 100-200 hours I've used them. The pads have become softer, which was welcomed. Still considering switching with one of my Denon pair's ultrasoft fake leather.

I also got the ALO cable (the new round version) and that really did make a nice improvement. Before I got it, I felt that the midrange was a bit emphasized (almost a cupped hands sound) and maybe not as well differentiated as it could be. I think the cable helped with that issue.

Coming from the Denons, which are so completely different, it took a bit of getting used to. But all you need to do is listen to a piano recording on both...  I know what a grand piano sounds like and the LCD-2 is spot on.

I still think they are not as extended on the low end as a true full-range speaker (not talking about measurements, but weight and perception), and they are just "ok" in terms of comfort (lighter would be great). But very well done. I also have noticed that I can actually listen to extreme-panned classic jazz without too much distraction, and mono records are nice and big too. So the do seem more like a speaker experience rather than headphone re: imaging.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 42
Well, mine arrived today - YEAH!!! - I pre-ordered on Dec 6, so that was 2 months.  The box is neat, all shiny fit and finish.  The head clamp is tight, so I too hope that the pads will soften up.  The sound is excellent, but to my ears it sounds tight - something definitely needs to loosen up.  Decays are not as long as my LA7000s, and classical solo vocals (eg, Cecilia Bartoli in recital) are not as palpable and holographic.  The LCD-2s require no more drive on the high impedance output of the Rudistor RP010Bmk2 than the HD800s or the LA7000s -- the pot is at ~ 9 o'clock, just like for my other cans. I do think tubes would make them sound better, and I would try them on my "Super Sonett", but they arrived with just a 1/4" phono plug - although I asked for balanced 3-pin XLRs - and my Sonett has only XLR output. So that trial will have to wait until I re-terminate the cable.

I was very glad to read in this thread that some think they do loosen up wth 50 hrs, even if that is only the cable. I sure hope so they do.  The Canare cable that comes stock could surely be improved on, but I hope that the LCD-2s will eventually prove to have a liquid midrange like the Quad speakers.  If not, I will stick with my LA7000s.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #36 of 42
I got mine yesterday. It took me almost 2 months exactly also to get mine. I really like them. I let them play pretty much all day yesterday and they did open up a bit it seems. I tried them through my Woo WA6 and the headphone jack of my C-50 preamp. Both amps drove the phones quite well. The midrange is just superb. Vocal textures are so real. Very nice. Lots of detail with no fatigue at all. I am seriously considering ordering a Schiit Lyr and see what that extra wattage can do for these puppies. May try a new cable also just for kicks.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 42
^ Yes, I agree. Mine opened up noticeably after 4 hrs, and now after >40 hrs of Isotek and music, they sound very nice indeed.  Whether it was the drivers or the cable, or both, I can't say, of course.  I didn't listen to them at all between sampling points, so it wasn't a matter of my ears getting used to them, because I was listening to my LA7000s.  I'd say now that with a new cable, balanced, they will surpass everything I've heard before.  And I ordered a new cable today. 

I did try to angle them further forward, and I would like to get some new pads with greater angle, because that brought the soundstage into better focus more in front of my head, rather than above and around it.  Softer pads with softer leather would be a wonderful improvement - the present pads do get bothersome after a while.

But the sound is simply gorgeous!

Whoopee !!!

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #39 of 42
i just got my new LCD-2. I am afraid that some one is going to break in and steal them.  ; )

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #40 of 42
Do what I did, move to a remote island. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back