LCD-2 Break in
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Austin_J

Head-Fier
I've searched all around and can't find much on breaking in the LCD-2. Could someone point me in the right direction?

I did find that someone quoted the manufacturer as saying they didn't require break in when reading a review.

Just got the phones...Definitely a step up from my D7000 in many ways.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 42
Most say they don't need much, maybe the cable needs some but the phones not much. I find that after a few hours they start to open up more, maybe 20 or so, I didn't keep track. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 42
If I gave you the exact same stock cable one with 0 hours and one with 1000 hours I guarantee you would not be able to reliably tell the difference. 

Quote:
The cable does need some hours to open up I found but all in all they do not change very much unlike the other headphones I have used. The cable really opens up after about 50 hours

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:
If I gave you the exact same stock cable one with 0 hours and one with 1000 hours I guarantee you would not be able to reliably tell the difference. 

Quote:
The cable does need some hours to open up I found but all in all they do not change very much unlike the other headphones I have used. The cable really opens up after about 50 hours

That is your opinion. I heard a difference in cable burn in as I do when I burn in any speaker cable. The sound stage becomes more defined and there is better focus.IMO on every cable I have ever used.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 42

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is your opinion. I heard a difference in cable burn in as I do when I burn in any speaker cable. The sound stage becomes more defined and there is better focus.IMO on every cable I have ever used.

I agree with you. Every person has a right to "their" opinion. Mine is that I do hear a difference and noted this long before I used to read about "burn-in" back in the 90's. The more I read and heard, the more I learned as the reason why. There are white papers on this and many manufactures describe it, not hoping you will adjust to their cable, but to let the purchaser better understand that there may be changes. If you hear none fine, but no one should tell someone they will or won't hear a difference. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
Thanks guys. My pair has maybe 25-30 hours so far, so we'll see. 

Overall, I really like them as powered by my RPX-33 (from the high impedance output more oddly enough).

Thats a nice amp. When I had the Meir Concerto they also sounded better with high gain go figure. They sound great on my Taboo with 6W coming at them. Best I have heard them so far.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 42

Quote:
Quote:

Overall, I really like them as powered by my RPX-33 (from the high impedance output more oddly enough).

Thats a nice amp. When I had the Meir Concerto they also sounded better with high gain go figure. They sound great on my Taboo with 6W coming at them. Best I have heard them so far.

Any speculation as to how they'll sound with the same(ish) power of the Lyr but with a tube/SS hybrid?  This is the route I plan on going - first the Lyr, then the LCD-2.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any speculation as to how they'll sound with the same(ish) power of the Lyr but with a tube/SS hybrid?  This is the route I plan on going - first the Lyr, then the LCD-2.

Speculating on a new amp that is not on the market is not a good idea. I would try the amp with the headphones of choice during their trial period and see if it what you like. No way of knowing wehat it is going to solnd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back