LCD-2 Break in
Jan 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #17 of 42
I noticed a pretty significant sound change after 20-30 hrs.. I don't know if the sound itself actually CHANGED but it sounded a lot less bassy and muffled to me. Perhaps it's because I went from listening to the T1s to the LCD-2 and they just sounded MUCH darker and I needed time to get use to it. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 42
Well - I have just played my first track on my new LCD-2.  

The detail retrieval on the higher end is definately missing compared to my DACport/other hp and also to a variety of speakers I use.  I am using a reference track with typed notes on specific instruments to listen out for at ten points in the track times (eg listen for snare at 1:03).  

So I am going to start the burn in process and expect things will improve.  Have to say the stock cable is a tad stiff/heavy so I hope it will loosen up as well. 

Vincent

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
If I gave you the exact same stock cable one with 0 hours and one with 1000 hours I guarantee you would not be able to reliably tell the difference. 

Quote:
The cable does need some hours to open up I found but all in all they do not change very much unlike the other headphones I have used. The cable really opens up after about 50 hours

That is your opinion. I heard a difference in cable burn in as I do when I burn in any speaker cable. The sound stage becomes more defined and there is better focus.IMO on every cable I have ever used.

I agree with you. Every person has a right to "their" opinion. Mine is that I do hear a difference and noted this long before I used to read about "burn-in" back in the 90's. The more I read and heard, the more I learned as the reason why. There are white papers on this and many manufactures describe it, not hoping you will adjust to their cable, but to let the purchaser better understand that there may be changes. If you hear none fine, but no one should tell someone they will or won't hear a difference. 

For the $$$$ that cable manufacturers charge for some of them one would think subjecting each to a burn-in process at the factory would be a trivial cost. Anyhow there's nothing like offering a 30-day return policy and saying the cable needs 720 hours for full break-in. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 42

Quote:
Well - I have just played my first track on my new LCD-2.  

The detail retrieval on the higher end is definately missing compared to my DACport/other hp and also to a variety of speakers I use.  I am using a reference track with typed notes on specific instruments to listen out for at ten points in the track times (eg listen for snare at 1:03).  

So I am going to start the burn in process and expect things will improve.  Have to say the stock cable is a tad stiff/heavy so I hope it will loosen up as well. 

Vincent

My cable did get better. It straightened out and seems to have gotten more pliable. At first it really pissed me off as it was coiled and just a pain. Now, much better. 

I have a Scott Hamilton CD, Soft Lights, Sweet Music. The cymbals at the start of cut 5 will start on the left and you can hear them faintly on the right but they are well imaged on the left. This only occurs on a system that can really pick up the detail and handles it with a delicate ease. Otherwise the cymbals are on the left and fade about midway to the right side. I changed some op amps in my fi.Q because I wanted a different sound. I got great bass and beautiful highs with the combination I am now using and then play Soft Lights and Sweet Music. I got the best fade to the left channel I have ever heard. Even better than my fantastic speaker system. I didn't even realize the cymbals would go solid to the left. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 42

Quote:
I've searched all around and can't find much on breaking in the LCD-2. Could someone point me in the right direction?

I did find that someone quoted the manufacturer as saying they didn't require break in when reading a review.

Just got the phones...Definitely a step up from my D7000 in many ways.

Hey Austin how long did it take to get your LCD-2's from the time you got on the list? Nice to hear you like them better than the Denons D7000's. The Denons are my go-to phone atm.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #23 of 42
Agreed, they sound as great now as they did the day I got them 3 months ago. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Personally I havent noticed much of a change in my LCD2's in the 5 weeks I have had them

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #24 of 42
The average wait time seems to be 30-60 days, with the last few people seeming to get their shipping noticed in 5X days, but that might have just been due to Christmas backlog. After that it seems to be roughly under a week for them to arrive via mailing. Long wait is long D:

Quote:
Hey Austin how long did it take to get your LCD-2's from the time you got on the list? Nice to hear you like them better than the Denons D7000's. The Denons are my go-to phone atm.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
Ouch, that is a long wait time...Should make it that much more worth it though, if they're really that good. I just put my pre-order in today...the wait begins

Yep, it's a wait. BUT, boy are they worth it. Once you get your pair, you won't look back. And you won't regret the wait either. The cans are special.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #27 of 42
How long a wait did you experience?...

Quote:
Quote:
Ouch, that is a long wait time...Should make it that much more worth it though, if they're really that good. I just put my pre-order in today...the wait begins

Yep, it's a wait. BUT, boy are they worth it. Once you get your pair, you won't look back. And you won't regret the wait either. The cans are special.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 42

Well, to be honest, I didn't wait long at all. They came in for review (now posted at www.theaudiobeat.com). And thus far they've shown no indication of wanting to leave.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #29 of 42
Thanks, neat review. Makes the wait all that much more difficult 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I didn't wait long at all. They came in for review (now posted at www.theaudiobeat.com). And thus far they've shown no indication of wanting to leave.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #30 of 42

But so worth it. I'm listening to Hendrix alternate version of Machine Gun right now and it sounds superb. Love that planer sound.

Quote:
Thanks, neat review. Makes the wait all that much more difficult 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back