Lavry DA11 versus Grace M902, Thoughts?
Apr 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iszatso

Head-Fier
Both of these are roughly the same price with the same features, sonic quality comparisons anyone? Or are they apples and oranges. Did a search did not come up with much. TIA. Trying to drive a pair of Denon D7000's to perfection.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Grace do high resolution up to 24/192 or higher over USB? For that single reason I'm quite close to get a DA-11, but if the Grace also does it, I might reconsider the purchase.

I don't think the DA11 supports 192 even over USB. Lavry is not a fan of anything past 96.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 14
With the combo offerings (benchmark/grace/lavry) it is my opinion that the features of each are the main decision point.

Knowing no further details about your situation except for your choice of headphones, I would go for the lavry. The dac in the Lavry is exceptional and though the amplifier is not tailored for the ultra-low impedance of the Denon's, it will do a good enough job until you inevitable start looking for an external headphone amplifier.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read your sig. It looks like you already have a headphone amplifier. Are you looking for an all in one solution?(i.e. no plans of seperate components) I just ask because it would make more sense to upgrade the components individually.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the DA11 supports 192 even over USB. Lavry is not a fan of anything past 96.

24/96 can be good enough so far
biggrin.gif
Do you know if the Grace supports anything like that on USB? AFAIK only DACs using the Tenor chip for the USB can do HR over USB.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 14
The Grace m902 only accepts 16/44-48 via USB. The DA11 handles 24/96.

It looks like a USB to S/PDIF converter is in my future as I slowly incorporate hi-rez audio as a source. I'm very happy with the Grace for its versatility as my main system pre-amp. The analog output seems to be a strong point, though I've not heard the Lavry.

edit- Better late than never
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 14
iszatso, I see you have a CD3000. The Grace is a nice match for this headphone. Smooths out the treble.

Raif, I think the different combo offerings have a different sound, particularly the Benchmark. The Grace sounds liquid and a bit laid back, quite different from the agressive Benchmark. The Lavry DA10 was pretty good when I had it, but the amp section is not spectacular. Don't want to compare with the Grace and Benchmark because its been too long since I sold it.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by denydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grace m902 only accepts 16/44-48 via USB. The DA11 handles 24/96.

It looks like a USB to S/PDIF converter is in my future as I slowly incorporate hi-rez audio as a source. I'm very happy with the Grace for its versatility as my main system pre-amp. The analog output seems to be a strong point, though I've not heard the Lavry.

edit- Better late than never
smily_headphones1.gif

a USB to spdif convertor will not magically give you high rez audio over USB; it will only give you what you feed it. just enables you to use usb temporarily until you get a proper spdif transport. do either of them support DSD?? or I2S??

if you mean something else by what you say above then I apologize.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 14
[/QUOTE]
EDIT: Whoops, didn't read your sig. It looks like you already have a headphone amplifier. Are you looking for an all in one solution?(i.e. no plans of seperate components) I just ask because it would make more sense to upgrade the components individually.[/QUOTE]

I'd be all up for upgrading the individual components, but I think then i would blow past the 2000.00 USD limit I set for myself to get similar or better sound than I have now? Or would the all in one solution yield better sound than I have now with my combo? (meaning either the grace or the lavry.)
TIA.

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 14
How about this: Audio-gd DAC19MK3 + C2C? That's less than $1k. The DAC is un-coloured and will be less digital sounding than the Lavry and Benchmark (I owned the Lavry DA-10, have heard the DAC 1) and the C2C drove my Denons very well with tight bass and all the detail of whatever DAC was plugged in.
[size=xx-small]
No, I'm not affiliated with Audio-gd in any way, btw, just making suggestions from my own search for audio nirvana.
[/size]

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 14
Before I chose the Benchmark PRE in an attempt to maintain some semblance of professionalism in my office setup, I was leaning heavily towards Headroom's new Ultra DAC coupled with a GS-1 from Justin at Headamp.

Headroom's new DAC is an untested product but with the tech they have powering the thing(Sabre chip) and Headroom's reputation for building solid products, my guess is it is going to be the bee's knees.

The gs-1 would have no trouble driving your Denon's to their fullest abilities, though you would have to look elsewhere if you are expecting the amp to add it's own sound signature to the mix.

As far as choosing an all in one solution that will sound remarkably better than your current setup, I think you are already into the realm of diminishing returns.

I am more of a believer in synergy between components, than more money = better sound. Staying in the realm of separate components will give you more freedom to find the sound you are looking for.

I have read complaints about the dac you are using but haven't any experience with it, but that might be a place to start. If I was in your situation, I would order headroom's new dac to check it out. They have a 30 day return policy, so if you aren't hearing all the magic that "better" gear promises, there is always an escape plan.

Also, your headphones need current, so a nice solid state and/or hybrid amplifier will work best.

And if that sounds like too much work...

Get the grace, it's headphone amp is most suited to power your phones and realistically speaking, the differences between it's dac and the [insert highly regarded dac here] would require weeks of careful listening and thoughtful consideration, or one solid dose of placebo.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks raif and others) for your thoughtful comments on my search for improving the sound, although i am quite happy with the setup, on some passages and sources it just goes flat with flac so to speak. Sound gets mixed and mushy. I am leaning to your thought regarding the trying of individual parts first, rather than an all in one box. Focusing lately on the v-dac power supply, v-dac delivers better sound with a purer power source of 12 volts dc, thinking of going to battery...from the wall wart provided or the 4100 mah switched power souce I picked up.

The x-can is maxed out in the mod department so maybe better to find the weak link rather than the holy grail box of sound epiphany. So I guess in the rarified air in the lavry and grace, satisfactory great sound can be had by individual componets that will sound as good or better than the grace or lavry with the right match to headphones, possibly at a much lower price. What a fun sport...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back