Lavry DA10 vs CIA VDA-2 DAC
May 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From most posts, the Lavry DA10 seems to have better SQ than the Benchmark DAC1 but is it better than the CIA VDA-2 DAC?

No.. It's based on personal preference. The DAC1 & Lavry10 both do some things better then the other..It's up to the listener to decide which DAC has more strengths then weakness in regards to their listening criteria.. On a personal note, my friend didn't like the Lavry10 at all, but loves the DAC1..Doesn't mean the DAC1 is better then the Lavry..

May 21, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 19
Hi.
Oh where do i start?
1. If you are a fan of the Dac-1 then I think you'll be a fan of the VDA-2, and consider the VDA-2 to be a step up from the Dac-1.
2. If you are a fan of the Lavry DA-10, the next step up is the Stello DA220.

why do i stay this... it's because the sounds of particular dacs appeal to a general direction. For example, both the Dac-1 and VDA-2 have an involving, yet dry sounding midrange. Both dacs exhibit tight bass responses that don't exactly rattle anyone's windows, and to a stello or Lavry person they would seem "lite" sounding in comparison. Both dacs are deadly accurate, hyper detailed and extend well beyond the treble capacities of their rivals.

The Lavry DA-10 is better than the DAc-1 and VDA-2 when it comes to creating life like images and sounds closer and "less veiled" than the other two dacs. it has a present, authoritative, bass and can get a little fuzzy in the treble (by comparison).

it's a give and take really.. the DA-10 places things very accurately and realistically.. but doesn't give you a good outward sound stage. the VDA-2 is more laid back, analytical and "tight" sounding.

May 24, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.
Oh where do i start?
1. If you are a fan of the Dac-1 then I think you'll be a fan of the VDA-2, and consider the VDA-2 to be a step up from the Dac-1.
2. If you are a fan of the Lavry DA-10, the next step up is the Stello DA220.

What makes you think Stello is a step up of Lavry DA-10?

I'm trying to decide between Lavry Black (or Blue), and Stello, but feedbacks are not unequivocal... and the available Stello is 1.5 times more expensive.

May 24, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 19
I would say personal preference at this level means more than anything. I like the design philosophy of Dan Lavry so I went that direction after researching the various alternatives back around the turn of 2006.

Now to upgrade I think I would have to get the Chord64 to better the Lavry DA10. I could get the Lavry Gold for the ultimate (from my prespective) but that is completely out of the picture for me both in money and space. I like half rack size equipment.

May 24, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think Stello is a step up of Lavry DA-10?

I'm trying to decide between Lavry Black (or Blue), and Stello, but feedbacks are not unequivocal... and the available Stello is 1.5 times more expensive.

I'm curious about this too and how it may compare to the Bel Canto DAC 3. Also, can anyone list prices of all this gear new/used?

May 24, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 19
Don't forget the Aqvox USB 2 D/A MKII for DACs in this price range. If it weren't for that giant "What are all the DACs that money can buy?" thread and Iron_Dreamer, I wouldn't be interested in it myself right now. Exchange rate makes it about $1.3K new from Aqvox in Germany - someone really needs to find out how it competes against the LavryBlack DA10 and Benchmark DAC1!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 19
I don't know, much is personal preference... imho the DP200 really outdid my Lavry when i shot it out against each other... if it was done in categories, the stello was better in nearly everything but the ability to layer the soundstage.

I'm not sure much about the design philosophies... and if i had paid attention to that, i never would have bought the VDA-2...

Robm321: there is at least one person who has compared the Stello MKII to the bel canto 3 on this forum...

May 25, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exchange rate makes it about $1.3K new from Aqvox in Germany

How are going to have it serviced if necessary? Send back to Germany?
blink.gif

May 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 19
May 25, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 19
And how would the Paradisea rate?

May 25, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, much is personal preference... imho the DP200 really outdid my Lavry when i shot it out against each other... if it was done in categories, the stello was better in nearly everything but the ability to layer the soundstage.

I'm not sure much about the design philosophies... and if i had paid attention to that, i never would have bought the VDA-2...

Robm321: there is at least one person who has compared the Stello MKII to the bel canto 3 on this forum...

I've read a bunch of reviews and it sound like the VDA-2 is a very good value. I think a step up from that might be the Northstar or ECD-1, but at a Bel Canto 3 (with attenuator) price. ?

May 25, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 19
It is true that VDA2 do "emphasize" the treble spectrum without ever sounding harsh or sibilant. This does NOT mean it's bass shy. The bass sounds realistic without ever sounding like it's detached from rest of the music. It sounds remarkably like the analog gears I have at hand. I do believe Dusty tunned the VDA2 to sound like analog...and I can see why.

Having heard Lavry and loving it...I can live happily with either DAC
biggrin.gif

Steve...bring your Lavry to DC meet. I will bring my VDA2/VAC1 as well and we can compare both
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a link to a comment from someone who just made a comparison between these two this morning in another thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...91&postcount=3

Further down in the thread he explains why he keep something other than the Lavry DA10.

May 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is true that VDA2 do "emphasize" the treble spectrum without ever sounding harsh or sibilant. This does NOT mean it's bass shy. The bass sounds realistic without ever sounding like it's detached from rest of the music. It sounds remarkably like the analog gears I have at hand. I do believe Dusty tunned the VDA2 to sound like analog...and I can see why.

Having heard Lavry and loving it...I can live happily with either DAC
biggrin.gif

Steve...bring your Lavry to DC meet. I will bring my VDA2/VAC1 as well and we can compare both
biggrin.gif

The VDA2 sounds like it would be a natural match with the HD650 with its "veiled" sound profile. Equipment EQ so to speak. But I wonder if that "emphasize" treble is that much? I guess we will see at the meet.

May 25, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 19
What veil?!...haha
biggrin.gif
You are exactly right... I really come to respect the system synergy mantra
biggrin.gif
I would not dare use W5000 on my current system without some ear bleeding...hehe
biggrin.gif
Really...after owning analog gears for awhile now, I do think lot of commercial gears are tuned to favor bass frequencies more. More importantly...it's all matter of personal preference anyway
biggrin.gif

I will try to bring one of my turntable to the meet so we can directly compare true analog vs. VDA2 (and Lavry).

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VDA2 sounds like it would be a natural match with the HD650 with its "veiled" sound profile. Equipment EQ so to speak. But I wonder if that "emphasize" treble is that much? I guess we will see at the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back