Lavry DA10 vs. Aqvox D/A USB2 MK II
Feb 13, 2007 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dave in gva

New Head-Fier
I can get either of these DACs for around the same price.

The system I'm working towards will be fully computer based so the Lavry would need a sound card with appropriate output whereas the Aqvox could be driven off the USB with an ASIO driver. Given that I'd probably go for a higher end soundcard I guess that puts the Lavry at being $400 or so more than the Aqvox with the latter still offering the possibility of putting in a soundcard at a later date if desired.

Aqvox also gives greater compatability with both XLR and RCA outputs.

On the reviews I've seen my impression is the Lavry seems to be more resolving of the two whereas the Aqvox is said to be more engaging.

Downstream I will put an integrated amp in the $2,000 range and most likely the Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. I like vocalists and engaging music rather than dry, bright and analytic presentations.

Any comments from users of both of these on which unit they would opt for in my place? Apologies in advance but I will cross post this.

Dave M

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 6
I think you are answering yourself!. I haven't heard the Lawry, but I like my Aqvox a lot. Very nice and warm sounding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave in gva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the reviews I've seen my impression is the Lavry seems to be more resolving of the two whereas the Aqvox is said to be more engaging.

I like vocalists and engaging music rather than dry, bright and analytic presentations.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 6
If you prefer musicality, it seems obvious then. You should also look into the CEC DA53, which is designed by the same guy, but in a different form factor. That's what I have, and it's wonderful.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Instead of spending $400 on a card you could always use that money towards a computer with an optical out. The Lavry/Macbook is a nice combo. Afraid I haven't heard both DACs to compare

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 6
I've heard the Lavry a couple of months ago and to my surprise it sounded more clinical than my Apogee, with a strong emphasis on detail (but without any harshness), great soundstage and a quite balanced sound. I was disappointed by its rendition of the piano, though, it was fuller, sweeter and especially with a more realistic sparkle on my Apogee - just more engaging. I expected it to sound fuller than the Apogee, but this was not the case. I'm not dissing the Lavry, it's a great performer indeed, but I couldn't get over it's rather unemotional, matter-of-fact presentation. For music without acoustic instruments I would prefer the Lavry to the Apogee. Never heard the Aqvox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back