Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1? I know, I know...
Dec 10, 2006 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
I know this is an old debate, but I would appreciate advice for this specific setup:

My main headphone rig right now consists of my imac's optical out-->MicroDAC-->MicroAmp or Pimeta. I am interested in checking out a higher end DAC. For various reasons, I would prefer that it include a HP out. Therefore, I've narrowed my choices to the Lavry or the Benchmark. From most of the reviews I have read, it would appear that the Lavry gets the edge around here in terms of SQ. One thing concerns me though, the balanced only Lavry limits its flexibility in my system as none of my amps have balanced inputs, including my NAD rig, so the RCA outs on the DAC1 are a real plus. Are the Lavry XLR-RCA solutions to this viable or do they result in real SQ compromises?

The cans I will be using primarily are my HD-650, W100, and HF-1. For my iems, I just plan to use the Tomahawk, but could see occasionally using them with the DAC.

Your advice is appreciated. In addition, please let me know if there's a DAC I am missing. Only requirement is that it is under 1k and has a HP out.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 29
All you have to do is to get an XLR-RCA adapter plug, and make sure that the pins are connected a certain way, and then you are good to go. I currently don't remember to how set the pins at the moment, but it's in the Lavry manual. If you do that, there won't be compromises in SQ.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like the SQ is probably worth it despite the Lavry's few "quirks." Where is a good place to order the Lavry these days?

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 29
You can order direct, or from places like Mercenary Audio, Atlas Pro Audio, etc...

Dec 10, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 29
Not sure I'd write them off as quirks. More like design flaws. Which opens me up to thinking what else was done half baked on the DA10. Leaving Head-Fi for a moment the Lavry doesn't have the same critical fame as the Benchmark enjoys.

I'd go Benchmark if for no other reason than its readily available used and if its not your cup of tea unloading it is cake. Add that I don't need to hunt down XLR to RCA adapters, that I can adjust the volume easily instead of going flick flick flick 40 times, that the Benchmark is built around one design idea instead of the multitude of options on the Lavry.

Or maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I'd write them off as quirks. More like design flaws. Which opens me up to thinking what else was done half baked on the DA10. Leaving Head-Fi for a moment the Lavry doesn't have the same critical fame as the Benchmark enjoys.

I'd go Benchmark if for no other reason than its readily available used and if its not your cup of tea unloading it is cake. Add that I don't need to hunt down XLR to RCA adapters, that I can adjust the volume easily instead of going flick flick flick 40 times, that the Benchmark is built around one design idea instead of the multitude of options on the Lavry.

tongue.gif

I appreciate this opinion, solude. Definitely the kind of devil's advocacy I'm looking for.
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

tongue.gif

What design flaws are you talking about, exactly?
And regarding critical fame, the Lavry beats the DAC1 in every single comparative review I could find on the net.
And that flick flick thing you are talking about, it is more precise and more user friendly after 10 minutes, than any pot or stepped attenuator I've ever used. And you can go 40 steps (not that you'd want to) with just one flick. It is so obvious that you haven't even seen a DA10 in your life.
And hunting down XLR to RCA adapters? Only if walking down to your local musicians shop is considered hunting.

Personally, I'd go for better sonics. Actually, I already did.

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 29
It is true that the Benchmark has been out and used in this forum for years before the accessible Lavry Black was produced. Therefore, fame is in the length of service to the people around here.

But, in the audio production world the reverse is true. The Lavry Engineering products are and especially the Lavry Gold considered the "Gold" standard in the industry. The Lavry Blue which is the industry work-horse is considered by Dan Lavry to be equalled by the Lavry Black in sound quality. In the Lavry universe if you want volume control you go with the Lavry Black (DA10). But if you want to have multiple channels (up to eight) go with the Lavry Blue is what Dan has said.

I am very satisfied with my Lavry. Having said that, you can't go wrong with either the Benchmark or the Lavry Black.

My take on the differences:

Both have a slightly different sound and one may prefer one over the other only on that basis alone. Those comparisons that I have read state that the Lavry is simply more musical while the Benchmark is much more detailed. I think this comparison is a little to simplistic. The Lavry is very detailed but with a smoothness that may come across as less detailed than the Benchmark. The detail of the Benchmark may come from some roughtness in the high frequencies that suggests to some as having more detail. I think this would make the Benchmark a little more fatiguing than the Lavry overall. But again unless you are really good at noting these differences you may never hear them in any short listening session. During a meet, when my Lavry DA10 had very few hours on it, my hearing could tell very little difference between the two. Now that I have had more time and ear training I think this would be less of a problem for me, especially using my ATH-W5000 headphones.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 29
One of the problems of discussing the general rep of the Benchmark and Lavry is most comparisons between the two are done with an earlier version of the DAC1. In addtion the DAC1 was out far in advance to the DA10 so had more time (and less competition) to develop a critical following.

Generalizing, I'd expect the DAC1 to perform better in current testing than it did previously and expect the Lavry to gain a larger critical following over time.

If you're looking for just a DAC, I'd say it's a toss up (and maybe other DACs should be considered too). Order both and return one.

If you're looking for an amp/DAC combo, I haven't heard many feel the DAC1 matches the DA10 (though again impressions of the updated DAC1 are still harder to come by).

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 29
My take is that it's probably best to listen to both (on the same transport just to be consistant). I doubt that the Lavry is "better" then the Benchmark in SQ. They just have differences, which means that some would prefer the Lavry or some would prefer the Benchmark. I'm one of those who loves my Benchmark. Some see it as cold or harsh....and maybe it just boils down to what headphones you're using. But with my Senns, the Benchmark is not cold at all. Plenty of detail and extension, and a lively soundstage. One of the reasons I bring this up, is that this forum seems to get on the latest and greatest flavor of the month bandwagon
icon10.gif
These are both fine DACs that have their merits. When we start getting into this league of components.....there isn't so much a clear winner on SQ, but clear distinctions on character. Only you can say what sound character you're looking for.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take is...Only you can say what sound character you're looking for.

Excellent post DR. There are definite sound differences btwn the Benchmark and the Lavry. However, all this talk about which is "better", or "shootout winner" is immaterial without talking about their respective sound signatures, and the impact on your system.

In comparison, for me it is a presentation of hyper detail for the former vs. slightly more smoothness for the latter. There are other differences, but that is what it comes down to for me. As to which sounds better with your particular headphones is up to you.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In comparison, for me it is a presentation of hyper detail for the former vs. slightly more smoothness for the latter. There are other differences, but that is what it comes down to for me. As to which sounds better with your particular headphones is up to you.

And this brings up another point of synergy synergy synergy
eggosmile.gif
I'm lovin this DAC1 with my 650s....it has a smoothness, yet great extension/ soundstage that makes the 650s lively. It's just screaming for a good amp though. The more I'm getting into this hobby, the more I realize source, amp, and headphone all contribute to the overall sound character. I've decided to bite the bullet and get into tubes so that I can really tailor some of the sound (ie decide where to add detail or soundstage for each headphone). Many have recommended Single Power for my DAC1, so it cant' some fast enough
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back