Lavry DA10/DA11 too good without separate amp?
Nov 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I would buy the DA11 is because of the remote capability and USB
rolleyes.gif

Why the roll-eyes? The PIC and incremental improvements in the DAC would alone justify the DA11 for a lot of people here.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speederlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the roll-eyes? The PIC and incremental improvements in the DAC would alone justify the DA11 for a lot of people here.

I'm good as-is with the features of DA10-- the DA11 improvements does not appeal to me, at least on the pricing level. For me most of the improvements are discomforts that I can manage.. the roll-eyes? I'm not really buying the PIC feature.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by axw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The characteristics I've been thinking about may be also described as "punch", more energy and better control over jumps of loudness. It is definitely important for electronic music and percussion, for me it translates to more fun when listening. In another words, Lavry headphone output sounds more "flat" than Meier Audio amp.

Thanks, but does any one know technically WHY there's a lack of perceived punch from the DA10/11? Is it a lack of current? Lack of voltage? Other?

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 43
I can't address why lack of perceived punch, but when compared to my HR DT Millett Hybrid w/ DTPS, but the latter has marginally more "balls". However, I do find the amp in my DA10 to be perfectly respectable on its own, at least with my current cans. In fact, if I don't feel like firing-up the HR, I frequently have a perfectly enjoyable session with only the DA10.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 43
I'd probably vote that it was better with low-impedance cans than high-impedance ones, but it's more if you indeed want more punch, say, in the bottom end. It would be interesting to try a DA-11 with HF-2s for example.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 43
you are going to be fine with the set up you are thinking. the lavry will drive them and they wll sound very very smooth. the lavry is a warm sounding DAC and the headphones also sound very smooth.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are going to be fine with the set up you are thinking. the lavry will drive them and they wll sound very very smooth. the lavry is a warm sounding DAC and the headphones also sound very smooth.

eek.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

now what's with the eek smiley?
tongue.gif

I see you have a DA11 with a balanced HD650 shamu, care to give your impression?

EDIT: OH!
atsmile.gif
you did already. Sorry for that.

To be honest, now I'm leaning on purchasing MK VII running balanced with the DAC_I and HD650.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 43
It's been a few years since owning the DA10, but I can agree with the others that it did lack dynamics/punch. The headphone amp, while good, was not outstanding. It played just fine, but never wowed me.

I gave the DA11 a listen at the last L.A. CanJam and was impressed. A lot of the negatives I had about the DA10, seemed to be resolved. The DAC portion sounded better, and not as constrained. The headphone amp also sounded much better. Would I use this unit as my whole headphone rig, no, but that's just my taste. It sure does pack a lot of goodness into a very small package.

Overall, I think Dan makes great products. I have owned his blue series converter in my pro rig and thought they sounded fantastic.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 43
headphone amp is supposedly the same on both the DAC10 and DAC11 as is the converter chip. DA11 has more features. they should sound pretty much identical but then again our ears play games with us when you think something is actually better and you pay more for it.

i read somewhere that Dan Lavry uses the HD650s with his DA11 but only he can confirm. If he does then i believe that you will enjoy the combo. Going the balanced out route will probably add slight distortion to the signal which some people actually like. I would use the headphone out first as it was intended and add an amp or go balanced if you find it necessary.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

so you don't think it's warm sounding i take it. ive had my fair share of time with them and believe it to be a very pleasant sounding DAC which is cuz it's more musical and warm when compared to benchmark and mytek f or example.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now what's with the eek smiley?
tongue.gif

To be honest, now I'm leaning on purchasing MK VII running balanced with the DAC_I and HD650.

I just don't consider the DA11 as a warm sounding DAC at all. Only plain transparent with absolutely not a hint of added colorations.

And yes, running the HD650 balanced is probably a better choice than running it from the internal DA11 amp. The HD650 really shine with lot's of power. Personnally, I would also consider seriously the Lake People G100... It is cheaper than the LDMKVII I think and has lot's of power available as well...

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

so you don't think it's warm sounding i take it. ive had my fair share of time with them and believe it to be a very pleasant sounding DAC which is cuz it's more musical and warm when compared to benchmark and mytek f or example.

Oh, understood, in relative terms (i.e compared to other DACs), then you could be right.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

I can't address why lack of perceived punch, but when compared to my HR DT Millett Hybrid w/ DTPS, but the latter has marginally more "balls".

It would be interesting to compare the DA11 with a tube amp, but with levels MATCHED. Dan has stated that he goes for transparency and so perhaps the levels don't have to be as high with the DA11 to hear all the details, resulting in a perception of less "punch"? Personally, I find the louder I turn the DA11 up, the more punch I get! But I always try to be conservative with levels to protect my hearing for the long-term ...

Quote:

I'd probably vote that it was better with low-impedance cans than high-impedance ones...

Dan uses high-impedance HD650s as his own personal cans. Also, don't pro studios typically use high-impedance headphones and the DA11 is technically a "Pro" product for studio work?

Quote:

the lavry is a warm sounding DAC and the headphones also sound very smooth.

Don't let Dan see that!
wink.gif
He would vehemently contest that his DAC is warm (which he defines as a type of distortion), as his ultimate goal is transparency in his designs.

Quote:

I gave the DA11 a listen at the last L.A. CanJam and was impressed. A lot of the negatives I had about the DA10, seemed to be resolved. The DAC portion sounded better, and not as constrained. The headphone amp also sounded much better.

I suspect the improvements in the DAC have given the impression the DA11's amp sounded better as Dan has stated the amp circuitry in the DA11 is nearly identical to that in the DA10.

I appreciate the comments from everyone I quoted above. One can't really disagree with any of those comments as sound quality is a very subjective thing and everyone is generously giving their honest impressions. Just goes to show you have to just give each piece of equipment a listen and decide for yourself. Unfortunately these days there are fewer and fewer dealers available where you can go audition equipment in person before purchase ...

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif

if the lavry is warm compared to the benchmark and mytek, then the benchmark/mytek must be sub-zero to me!!

Although my DA11 is still burning in though, right now I can only say it sounds quite a bit colder than the Pico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back