Lavry DA10/DA11 too good without separate amp?
Nov 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Lantis

Head-Fier
This is more of a question to Lavry DA10/DA11 owners. I've searched a lot in the threads and MOST if NOT ALL owners doesn't have an amp to match with this baby! Is the built-in amp of Lavry that good?

The reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of buying this DAC, but I've read on some threads (particularly this) that you need to have a good amp to hear differences on high/low-end dac
L3000.gif

I'll be running this with a balanced HD650 if ever, and try to compare it with my Little Dot DAC_I in balanced mode.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 43
With everything I have read it sounds like if you want a no-nonsense coloration free headphone amp, the Lavry delivers very well. I am getting a DA11 next week. I had been planning on a stagedac with my Woo but then travel plans made me want to lighten everything up.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 43
The headphone amp in the DA10 when I owned it was pretty decent. With HD-650s it was about the same as a Little Dot MKV I thought at the time I had both, which means that likely a mid-range amp at least would be an improvement if used with it.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speederlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With everything I have read it sounds like if you want a no-nonsense coloration free headphone amp, the Lavry delivers very well. I am getting a DA11 next week. I had been planning on a stagedac with my Woo but then travel plans made me want to lighten everything up.

Maybe buying a DA10, the one that's holding me back is the cost here (Europe) and the lingering thought of buying a new *high end* amp (I'm using a Little Dot MK III at the moment). I can stretch my budget though
beyersmile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone amp in the DA10 when I owned it was pretty decent. With HD-650s it was about the same as a Little Dot MKV I thought at the time I had both, which means that likely a mid-range amp at least would be an improvement if used with it.

You're making my decisions difficult, Currawong
tongue_smile.gif
I've just quoted you on my first post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review. The MKV isn't a very detailed headphone amp, so the lack of a great difference between the LD DAC and Benchmark isn't a surprise in that case. I think if you used a high-end headphone amp you'd notice the differences more.

So if I follow your trail of thought if I buy a Lavry I need a high-end headphone amp to complement it-- or in the case of Lavry it's not because it's that good?

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 43
Lantis, the HP amp build in the Lavry is trully plain transparent and for me, absolutely high end, if you match it with adequate low impedance cans (I am using it exclusively with 25ohms Beyer DT48). With higher impedance cans, it will not be that good (ie lacking some power), but still decent and absolutely transparent to the DAC.

In the end, it will depend on the HP you want to use. If you stick with low impedance cans, there is no need for a dedicated HP amp.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lantis, the HP amp build in the Lavry is trully plain transparent and for me, absolutely high end, if you match it with adequate low impedance cans (I am using it exclusively with 25ohms Beyer DT48). With higher impedance cans, it will not be that good (ie lacking some power), but still decent and absolutely transparent to the DAC.

In the end, it will depend on the HP you want to use. If you stick with low impedance cans, there is no need for a dedicated HP amp.

hmm... this got me thinking to just get an MK VII since I love my HD650. But on the other hand I want to hear the improvements of a high-end DAC specially on the balanced side.

I'll wait for some other comments before deciding on this. Thanks!

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 43
From my audition with GS-1000.
The overall performance of Lavry DA10 is very good.
The amp is not as impressive as m902 or Auditor, but it is good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is more of a question to Lavry DA10/DA11 owners. I've searched a lot in the threads and MOST if NOT ALL owners doesn't have an amp to match with this baby! Is the built-in amp of Lavry that good?

The reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of buying this DAC, but I've read on some threads (particularly this) that you need to have a good amp to hear differences on high/low-end dac
L3000.gif

I'll be running this with a balanced HD650 if ever, and try to compare it with my Little Dot DAC_I in balanced mode.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speederlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please post your impressions and any comparisons you can make!

I'm looking at the DA11 for 'in the future' once my wallet recovers a bit from some speaker amps I bought so I will be very interested to see what you think. There are some reviews and impressions here on head-fi but not many...the Lavry units seem to be rather 'under the radar' when it comes to quantity of reviews.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 43
The built-in amp of my DA10 would be 'good enough' if I didn't have anything else. It really is pretty good. But I do use an external amp with mine - a Gilmore Lite in my case. (Driving, variously, ER-4S, K501, HD580.)

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 43
I remember reading reports of satisfied people using DA10 XLR outputs to drive their high impredance cans. XLR has more power and there are solutions (balanced cabling) to connect headphones.

Anyhow, I happen to own Ultrasone 2200 HFI (75 ohm) and DA10. Sound quality on DA10 headphone output is acceptable for day to day use, especially in terms of resolution, but dynamics is definitely not the strong point. I also own Meier Audio Porta Corda amp, which is much more dynamic than DA10 headphone out (of course also less resolving, spacious and smooth).

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by axw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading reports of satisfied people using DA10 XLR outputs to drive their high impredance cans. XLR has more power and there are solutions (balanced cabling) to connect headphones.

Anyhow, I happen to own Ultrasone 2200 HFI (75 ohm) and DA10. Sound quality on DA10 headphone output is acceptable for day to day use, especially in terms of resolution, but dynamics is definitely not the strong point. I also own Meier Audio Porta Corda amp, which is much more dynamic than DA10 headphone out (of course also less resolving, spacious and smooth).

After I get my DA11 I will be getting balanced cable upgrade for my HD800 to complement it.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 43
The single ended headphone out is pretty good, although I was running a tubed amp which sounded good with my HD650s. It currently runs DAC duty in a speaker system.

There were some great reviews of using the balanced outputs for balanced cans.

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by axw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Sound quality on DA10 headphone output is acceptable for day to day use, especially in terms of resolution, but dynamics is definitely not the strong point. I also own Meier Audio Porta Corda amp, which is much more dynamic than DA10 headphone out (of course also less resolving, spacious and smooth).

I've read similar comments from folks about a lack of "dynamics" from the DA10/11 headphone output.
As a DA11 owner, I've wondered what "dynamics" I've been missing? What exactly is meant by "dynamics"?

Is a more "dynamic" amp one that offers a pleasing coloration/distortion (and is therefore by definition less transparent and resolving)? Or do the more "dynamic" amps have more of something the DA10/11 lacks (current? voltage?) to drive headphones like my HD800's?

Thanks!

BTW, an FYI for those on the fence between the DA10 and DA11;
Dan Lavry has stated that in terms of sound quality he has "tightened things up" a bit with the DA11. Also, the DA11 has some nice features the DA10 lacks like power on/off pop protection, remote control support, PiC, etc.
Dan Lavry's personal headphones are HD650's.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read similar comments from folks about a lack of "dynamics" from the DA10/11 headphone output.
As a DA11 owner, I've wondered what "dynamics" I've been missing? What exactly is meant by "dynamics"?

Is a more "dynamic" amp one that offers a pleasing coloration/distortion (and is therefore by definition less transparent and resolving)? Or do the more "dynamic" amps have more of something the DA10/11 lacks (current? voltage?) to drive headphones like my HD800's?

Thanks!

From wikipedia:

dynamics normally refers to the volume of a sound or note, but can also refer to every aspect of the execution of a given piece, either stylistic (staccato, legato etc.) or functional (velocity). The term is also applied to the written or printed musical notation used to indicate dynamics.

This is more predominant in classical music, which I rarely listen to, so I don't worry too much on it.

Quote:

BTW, an FYI for those on the fence between the DA10 and DA11;
Dan Lavry has stated that in terms of sound quality he has "tightened things up" a bit with the DA11. Also, the DA11 has some nice features the DA10 lacks like power on/off pop protection, remote control support, PiC, etc.
Dan Lavry's personal headphones are HD650's.

The only reason I would buy the DA11 is because of the remote capability and USB
rolleyes.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The characteristics I've been thinking about may be also described as "punch", more energy and better control over jumps of loudness. It is definitely important for electronic music and percussion, for me it translates to more fun when listening. In another words, Lavry headphone output sounds more "flat" than Meier Audio amp.

Having said that, in almost every other aspect Lavry dominates over the tiny Meier box: neutrality, resolution, details, smoothness, imaging, etc etc.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back