Lavry da10, da11 and the stello da100sig
Apr 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nightrhyme

Head-Fier
So I have been reading a ton of pages regarding dac's

Have had my eyes on the stello da100sig for some time until the guys at the NAIM forum started raving about the Lavry da10.
There it is described as warm, smooth and yet detailed sounding.

From reading threads at headfi.org the stello da100sig is also decribed as warm, smooth sounding however not so detailed.

Well it's also much cheaper than the Lavry.

And then there is the Lavry da11 which is almost twice as expensive as the stello...

But from reading threads it only adds new features so it should be almost identical to the Lavry da10 in sound.
However Dan Lavry mentioned he tightened up a few things and the da11 does measure somewhat better than the da10.

As I have no possibility of auditioning either I will have to buy blind/deff
redface.gif

For now I'm most interested in the Lavry da10 and perhaps the da11 just to get he best. I do like the ability to use headphones although that will not be the primary use of the box.

Prices for me is as follows (converted to dollars for your convenience):

Stello da100sig: 866$
Lavry da10: 1,337$
Lavry da11: 1673$

Would really appreciate any comments you guys might have ?
And yeah I would really like to hear: Yes the Lavry is a much better dac than the stello and yes in that price range, definitely the Lavry
tongue_smile.gif

And if I should really stretch my luck: yeah definitely the Lavry da11 it's yarda yarda much better
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh I kid myself
evil_smiley.gif

Thanx in advance

Kind regards from Denmark

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 19
I can't speak for the other DAC's you're interested in, but I own the DA10 and have been very pleased. I have no problem recommending it. Although I have not heard the DA11, I would be surprised if I could even hear any differences between it and the DA10(I'll probably get flamed on that statement.) I'm sure the Stello is a very nice unit, however, I like the basic features of the Lavries: high quality volume control and HP amp.

Good luck.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 19
I have owned the Stello DA100 Signature for more than a year and have been delighted. I listen to Classic C & W, seems to work well. I wanted a transport, am using the Stello CDT 100, and that was a big factor in the purchase decision. The combo works well thru a Vincent Audio KHV-1/pre and Senn HD-650's. Listening at this very moment to Sirius Satellite Radio. "Willie's Place." Using a Kimber silver USB cable. Everything is hooked up to a Shunyata Hydra 4.

The music thru the transport is superior to satellite radio, as you would expect. The Stello combination has the flexibility I was looking for. Needed USB, like the I2S connection from the transport. Absolutely reliable. Reliablity is a major factor for myself.

Have not had the opportunity to hear the Lavry units. All will probably work well.

Keep us posted on your decision. By the way, Denmark sure sounds like a fine nation. Hope I get to visit someday.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanx for reply guys.

Still would like some comments from someone who has heard both the Lavry and the Stello.

The intention was to replace my cd-player (an old Arcam 8se) and run music and movies from my mediacenter EMU pci 0404 coaxial out -> amp (primare i30) which accepts XLR input -> vienna acoustics baby grand.

And toslink from my Set-top box - Primare i30

As you might gather I'm not so much a headfi guy as I am a hifi guy.
I do however own a pair of grado sr60 which I really enjoy.

ps. Tomk you sure would be more than welcome
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 19
I liked the DA-10 except for its less than great reproduction of violins. I'd say it'd be more important what kind of music you listen to, as if you listen to classical and jazz as I do, I'd suggest different DACs altogether.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the DA-10 except for its less than great reproduction of violins. I'd say it'd be more important what kind of music you listen to, as if you listen to classical and jazz as I do, I'd suggest different DACs altogether.

As my music taste is very broad: Classical, jazz, rock, and even death metal it might be very hard to find a specific dac which caters to all ?

Hmm in what way was violins badly reproduced ? Artificial sounding or ?
I just need it to be better than my current cd-player

If I had the money I would surely get the Chord qbd76

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 19
I've had the DA11 with me for a while and it's anything but warm. It sounds dead neutral and very transparent to me and you will like it if you value those. Also, the Lavry manages to be neutral without making music dead-sounding which is a plus. Operations can be daunting for first timers though and the manual which reminds me of my lecture notes doesn't help either but once you get past the cryptic interface, it's a smooth sailing after that. Still, a more intuitive control panel is always welcome.

I haven't heard the DA100 Signature but I've heard the regular one and true enough, it was warm sounding. I thought detail retrieval and transparency are better with the DA11 and given the choice, I would go with the latter.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrhyme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have been reading a ton of pages regarding dac's

Have had my eyes on the stello da100sig for some time until the guys at the NAIM forum started raving about the Lavry da10.
There it is described as warm, smooth and yet detailed sounding.

From reading threads at headfi.org the stello da100sig is also decribed as warm, smooth sounding however not so detailed.

Well it's also much cheaper than the Lavry.

And then there is the Lavry da11 which is almost twice as expensive as the stello...

But from reading threads it only adds new features so it should be almost identical to the Lavry da10 in sound.
However Dan Lavry mentioned he tightened up a few things and the da11 does measure somewhat better than the da10.

As I have no possibility of auditioning either I will have to buy blind/deff
redface.gif

For now I'm most interested in the Lavry da10 and perhaps the da11 just to get he best. I do like the ability to use headphones although that will not be the primary use of the box.

Prices for me is as follows (converted to dollars for your convenience):

Stello da100sig: 866$
Lavry da10: 1,337$
Lavry da11: 1673$

Would really appreciate any comments you guys might have ?
And yeah I would really like to hear: Yes the Lavry is a much better dac than the stello and yes in that price range, definitely the Lavry
tongue_smile.gif

And if I should really stretch my luck: yeah definitely the Lavry da11 it's yarda yarda much better
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh I kid myself
evil_smiley.gif

Thanx in advance

Kind regards from Denmark

Never buy a DAC deaf, definitely buy it blind (auditioning comparing to other DACs blind). Maybe you should audition other DACs for half the price or even less - you might be surprised how little difference is between them at any price (they do not need to be burned-in, should sing out of the box). It happened to me : I am selling Aqvox (cca 1500 $) and keeping the Matrix Mini-i (320 $) !

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the DA11 with me for a while and it's anything but warm. It sounds dead neutral and very transparent to me and you will like it if you value those. Also, the Lavry manages to be neutral without making music dead-sounding which is a plus. Operations can be daunting for first timers though and the manual which reminds me of my lecture notes doesn't help either but once you get past the cryptic interface, it's a smooth sailing after that. Still, a more intuitive control panel is always welcome.

I haven't heard the DA100 Signature but I've heard the regular one and true enough, it was warm sounding. I thought detail retrieval and transparency are better with the DA11 and given the choice, I would go with the latter.

wanna buy mine ?
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, if your looking for smooth and warm, why not try the tubed NOS Havana?
Doesn't get much warmer and smoother then that.
It certainly is not for every one but me and some others here love it with all our hearts.
Ended my quest for an enjoyable digital source without edgy treble after 30 years of hating CD-sound.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if your looking for smooth and warm, why not try the tubed NOS Havana?
Doesn't get much warmer and smoother then that.
It certainly is not for every one but me and some others here love it with all our hearts.
Ended my quest for an enjoyable digital source without edgy treble after 30 years of hating CD-sound.

X2
L3000.gif
(I have both DA10 and Havana)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong

X2 also
DA10 is slightly better than Havana at electronic music.
Havana is much better than DA10 at everything else.
Especially reproducing sounds like instuments (violins & co) and human voices. True euphonic delight
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanx so much for replies guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like neutral and transparent but not cold and clinical. The fact that you still describe that it manages to make music not dead-sounding comforts me.
I know all about it's less than user friendly user interface. Have spent the last days reading the entire manual. But all that's forgiven if it delivers musically.
I'm still very interested in it although you guys seem less impressed with it than I would like
redface.gif

Still the naim forum guys opinion carries a lot of weight in my world as I really like NAIM sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never buy a DAC deaf, definitely buy it blind (auditioning comparing to other DACs blind). Maybe you should audition other DACs for half the price or even less - you might be surprised how little difference is between them at any price (they do not need to be burned-in, should sing out of the box). It happened to me : I am selling Aqvox (cca 1500 $) and keeping the Matrix Mini-i (320 $) !

You are absolutely right. I really shouldn't. I might try and find a fellow dane who owns a Lavry and go and listen to it there as it isn't sold in Denmark.
The only dac's i have auditioned where cheap ones: the dacmagic and the Chord cordette. But of which were ok considering the price. I liked the dacmagic the best but it was just too polite and boring sounding and nowhere near my cd-player (arcam 8se)
I will probably also audition a NAIM dac although it's a little too expensive IMO and also missing headphone out.

As for the comments regarding tube dac I really dont like tubes. I kind of like the raw transistor represtation
devil_face.gif

Btw: Right now I listen to my EMU pci 0404 which I chose over the EMU 0404 USB which sounded thin and bright to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back