Lavry DA-10 vs Audio-Gd Reference One
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RedBull

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a DAC, I don't have one now, have tried my friend's Zero and I was, WOWed, I decided I cannot live without a dedicated DAC.
I was thinking, if a Zero can wow me, how about getting something even better?

My preference down to Lavry DA-10 and Audio-Gd Reference One. Can anyone comment on:

1. Bass quality (extension, deep, detail, tightness, definition, impact and punch) and quantity.
2. Midrange (detail, vocal, involving, airy)
3. High (smoothness and extension and airy)
4. Jitter control (for Optical or USB)
5. Analog section (line out quality)
6. Soundstage comparison. Super wide is not always my preference, just want to know what do you think comparing this 2.

I know Reference One is what, 13 Kg? if it sounds good, I can consider it.

I don't need upsampling.

I know what the features are, I don't need comparison on this area, eg. I know DA-10 does not have RCA input and I can live with it.

I've done my homework before creating a new thread, but can't seem to find any comparison on these 2, if it's due to my search keyword is wrong, please send me the link then.

My system is around GS Solo SRG I w/ PSU + HD650. I'm drooling for Tube amp also in the future (WA6), but for now I'd stay with Solo, untl further notice
tongue_smile.gif

Music preference is basically almost everything, mostly around Vocal jazz, I like Rock too with this system. Orchestra to, but about 2% of my listening time.
For hip hop and Pop, I will use other system, Cowon D2 with Bass boost turned on + SE530
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't like boomy bass most of the time, I like quality bass and I hate and most sensitive to harsh sound or too bright (in my definition).

Some of other DAC that I considered as well, but then I walked away) was:
1. Benchmark DAC-1 USB: most opinion lead me to think about thin sound, uninvolving, light bass, thin sound, harsh.
2. DAC Magic: not so detail, cannot change power cable
3. Stello DA100: Not so detail and a little too warm warm for my taste.
4. Pico: I don't believe small DAC is a good match for desktop setup, impedance matching thingy.
5. Zero: well, I need a little more kick/punch on the low department.

No offence for the owner of DAC that I don't like, I know our preference are different from person to person, what's not good for you maybe the best for me, no intention to be rude, I just want to be straight forward and to the point.

Thanks in advance guys !!!

Have a nice weekend
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 4
I've owned both. The Reference 1 is miles better than either the Lavry or Benchmark (which a friend owned). Most distinctly though, it has more detail and a more natural reproduction of instruments, that is, pianos and violins especially don't sound harsh and digital as they did out of the Lavry.

If your system, however, is only going to be single-ended, then you don't need the Reference 1, as only half the DAC is used if you don't use the balanced outputs. You'd be better off with one of the single-ended DACs such as the DAC19DSP.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks Bojamijams.

Mod, can help me to move this thread please. Thanks.

Thanks Curra for your solid answer that Ref1 is certainly better.
But I'm also open to upgrading to balance amp as well. I'll try to read the Ref1 thread, see if I can find anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back