Lavry black initial impressions
Jan 8, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #91 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by L01
what do you think: is it possible to enhance the DA10 by a remote-control for the volume?

The current volume control is just a two-way switch, so I don't see why not. Just wire in a momentary-type remote controlled signal.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #92 of 287
Thanks for the excellent impressions. It certainly helps to answer what DAC10 can do and its potential for its balanced output in particular with a headphone.

There is a great revelation on this forum of using the Benchmark DAC1 balanced output with HD650. It would be great to hear likewise how the DAC10 balanced out will perform with an HD650, and stack up with DAC1.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #93 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
so will this DAC be at the LA meet? i'd love to hear it and see how it stacks up against the other DACs.

I am efforting this. The only place that has any left shipped them back to be "fixed" before I could order one. Larvy resfused to drop-ship them, so they have to go back cross-country and then be shipped back cross-country, if one is to make it in time. So we shall see.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #94 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by L01
Hi,

what do you think: is it possible to enhance the DA10 by a remote-control for the volume?

Andreas

This is a good idea. however, it would cost more. Since DA10 is a monitor equipment with headphone out, a remote-control is not really necessary in the case of this. Why not put those money into something which can increase the tonal quality.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #95 of 287
If this unit becomes popular (which I suspect it will) I expect a remote volume control to be one of the mods to become available. Since the volume is a simple up/down switch it should not be hard to do.

Fitting the required circuitry into the case is probably the hardest problem here.

Cheers

Thomas

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #96 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
If this unit becomes popular (which I suspect it will) I expect a remote volume control to be one of the mods to become available. Since the volume is a simple up/down switch it should not be hard to do.

Fitting the required circuitry into the case is probably the hardest problem here.

Cheers

Thomas

Lazy lazy people
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #97 of 287
Yep I was thinking of natural competitors - the features and prices wont be identical, but when you are ready to plunk your cash down certain names pop up when thinking about this price range - Grace, Benchmark, Apogee - and now Lavry.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #99 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf

Cheers

Thomas

that is what I also thought of! The pictures make it look pretty easy compared to the tiny potentiometer in the DAC1.

At the moment I use a DAC1 as a DAC/preamp for my system and I am very happy, beside the fact that I always have to run for the volume-control!

cheers, Andreas

Jan 14, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #100 of 287
I just got my Lavry delivered today. Even cold out of the box it's a winner! I'm listening to the Carpenters' Greatest Hits (yes, yes, dont say anything; just love her voice) and this is bringing out every last nuance of that I like. The recording isn't the bets, but what's there, this is trying to capture.

VERY smooth sounding, even cold, but the details are there. I expect more to flesh out as time goes on; this is actually a tiny bit soft sounding right now.

FYI, using a Toshiba mod'd DVD to drive, and Sony CD-3000 phones.

I'm curious if a cheap DVD mini-player will sound good with it. It'd be a nice combo to save space. I have one of those ~8" wide Cyberhome players I may try with it.

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #102 of 287
Well, it looks like that initial characterization as smooth was not so far off the mark after all :)

Is it more bass or just a bit cleaner so that you can hear the individual notes more clearly.

I guess everyone is waiting to hear your more detailed impressions on the comparison between your DAC1 and the Black.

Cheers

Thomas

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #103 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Mine is here as well, very nice unit! My very initial impression is that it's got a smoother sounding high end than the DAC1, but with no less detail. I can also notice a slight bit more bass. Not dramatically different, but this is without much burn-in so who knows.

Those were my exact impressions as well between the DAC1 and DA10. I think you will find with some burn in the DA10 will fill out more and become a bit more bassy and open up a bit more as well. It truely is a fantastic DAC and I am still enjoying greatly.

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #104 of 287
So I'm listening to this for the last hour or so, and dang if this thing is opening up and getting more clear AS I LISTEN!! Some of the excess softness I was hearing is just melting away like snow on a heated windshield.

The detail and clarity on this unit seems VERY nice. And yet no trace of harshness. I need to listen to a lot more music on this....

To the other owners: did you experience anything like this? Near audible burn-in? Am I going nuts here?
eek.gif
Heck, if so, I like it
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #105 of 287
I was invited to a mini head-fi meet tonight and I brought the DA10 (with the intial software glitches fixed) along for the ride.

We hooked it up to a laptop as a source using the optical output from an Audiotrak Optoplay.

I had bought XLR-to-RCA converters to allow for comparison of the built-in headphone amplifier to external units connected to the line outputs via the converters.

My favorite headphone of the evening was the HD650 with the Zu cables. I own the HD600 with Blue Clue cables and I felt this was a definte step up. We used this pair for the comparison.

One member had brought an Emmeline HR2 and we connected that to the LB for comparison with the internal headphone amp. First off the sound was not dramtalically different. After a couple of switches forth and back I noted the following differences. The way I heard it the Lavry was a touch more transparent and detailed while the HR2 added a warmer mid bass.

No one felt that the built-in headphone amp was lacking or inferior in comparison to the HR2. We repeated this experiment with another DIY design from another member with similar results.

Another interesting setup was to drive the LB via the optical output from an Iriver iHP-140. The iHP-140 is a 40Gb portable music player that has an optical input/output. The LB seemed to work off this somewhat reduced quality digital source with no apparent change in performance. I attribute this to the crystal lock PLL which seems to be working as advertized providing a high degree of independence from the source.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back