Laurel vs Yanny : VOTE POLL & Someone please explain!

What do you hear???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 30, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #136 of 145
Well actually the "mastering talk" and the topic of sound perception are to a large extent the same thing, even though we haven't got that far yet. :) But as the mod has spoken ...

OK, if you really are serious then start a new thread (or resurrect a relevant one) and I'll explain.

I don't believe we can "rule out playback gears". If a system is incapable of reproducing lower freqs then we're more likely to hear Yanni, that's why the NYT tool works and most or all of us can hear Yanni using the slider, even if we only ever heard Laurel previously (and vice versa). If a system is bass heavy (or mid/treble light) then we're more likely to hear Laurel. :)

G

See? Right there: two things :) we see eye to eye on!

I think we just disagree on the WHYs - as in why certain things are done at the mastering stage of an album.

Would you rather PM me to explain, or shall I start a new thread, here in Sound Science?

May 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #137 of 145
I think we just disagree on the WHYs - as in why certain things are done at the mastering stage of an album.

I'm not convinced from this statement or your previous posts that this the case. There's the WHERE, WHO and HOW which are intrinsic to the issue, as well as what exactly are; mixing, production and mastering. Please start a new thread!!

G

May 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #139 of 145
I'm convinced it's not an issue of understanding human speech, but definitely something born from crap recording and accidental extra sounds. I don't think anybody imagined that sometimes when you tell laurel, someone else will understand yanny. that's not likely to be a thing at all.

Then it's uninteresting. If it mix in enough cowbell, eventually you'll hear cowbell. Maybe some will hear it before others. Eh.

May 30, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #140 of 145
I think a few people got a foot out of their allegory of the sound cave thanks to that little recording accident, just like with the blue dress for vision. that alone IMO validates having this trending for 2 weeks instead of a surfing cat. plus we can always get the surfing cat next month so all is good. ^_^

May 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #141 of 145
Then it's uninteresting. If it mix in enough cowbell, eventually you'll hear cowbell. Maybe some will hear it before others. Eh.

I don't think that analogy applies. With the same signal played on the same system, some people are clearly hearing it as Laurel and unable to understand how others could hear Yanny, and vice versa. So I'd say it's very interesting indeed!

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #142 of 145
I hear both from -3 to 4.
At the same time.
It's just a bit of practice and time.
I honestly still don't understand how you or anyone can hear both words at the same time. By "at the same time" do you mean at the same slider position and being able to focus to hear one or the other, at will?

Playback gear does seem to matter when a given individual is near a tipping between hearing Yanny vs Laurel. But people have different tipping points, and the tipping point can shift around over time for a given person, so we have two dimensions of variability in how brains process acoustic signals.
Which kind of makes my point that this whole argument and experiment is more about perception than simply frequency response. The FR can be objectively measured, with no further arguments as to what frequencies are being produced and at what amplitudes. Objective reality is settled. Yet, different people are still hearing different things, even on same playback equipment. Some individuals hear different things are different times. This is all about perception, IMO.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #143 of 145
I can hear both at the same time. I used to hear "lyerry" but now can hear "laurel". I realized that the "lyerry" part is high pitched and the "laurel" part is low pitched. I can now mentally separate the higher frequencies and can now hear both simultaneously. I hear "laurel", but I hear the "lyerry" on top of it. If you don't know what it's saying, it tends to sound like "lyerry", but if you know it's saying "laurel", your brain filters out the high frequency stuff and focuses on the lower pitched word. The higher pitched stuff kind of sounds like tape hiss.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back