Latest thinking on earbuds
Mar 3, 2007 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nightfire

500+ Head-Fier
So a few years back I was seriously considering the CM7ti as the reviews here were generally very positive. Cycling season is starting back up, and I'm gonna need something new this year. My ER4s are too isolating. I'm on bike paths so I'm not overly concerned about safety, but I would like some auditory cues.

Is the CM7ti still generally considered king? I recall there being a good sony as well. Has anything new come out recently? Earbuds don't get nearly enough attention in the industry...

Has anyone extensively compared the CM7ti to the ER4, K701, etc? I know it's not in the same league, but I don't care as long as the failings are in the right areas..
smily_headphones1.gif
(ie. don't care about bass at all; just clean prominent mids and highs).

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Most popular new earbuds here are....Yuin PK1 & PK2

Also look at V-Moda Remix 'M' class

Now if you count canalphones & IEMs as earbuds.....RUN for your life, there are just way too many to choose from.

BTW, earbuds fall out of my ears, canalphones don't, so I 'know nothing' about earbuds. I have no idea what a CM7ti is, but for $20US you might want to try some JVC Marshmallow canalphones (and associated mods).

Steve

Steve

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Lets face it, IEM and canelphone shouldn't be called earbuds, at least not in Head-fi. Beside, the OP is asking for something that doesn't isolate him/her from outside, canelphone is still too danger for a bike paths.

I never try CM7ti, as they are too expensive for an earbud IMO. I recommend Sony MDR-E888LP. On a lesser class, Senn. MX50 or MX70 might be a good choice.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most popular new earbuds here are....Yuin PK1 & PK2

Also look at V-Moda Remix 'M' class

Now if you count canalphones & IEMs as earbuds.....RUN for your life, there are just way too many to choose from.

BTW, earbuds fall out of my ears, canalphones don't, so I 'know nothing' about earbuds. I have no idea what a CM7ti is, but for $20US you might want to try some JVC Marshmallow canalphones (and associated mods).

Steve

I'll check out the ones you mentioned. I have to count out IEMs (like my ER4s) because it's just too isolating for cycling.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Guys:

The isolation depends on the design of the canalphone (and maybe the IEM). Yes, Marshmallows isolate quite a bit, but walking to work wearing them, I have been aware of traffic noises.

But other posters are saying that the Vibes have very little isolation compared to many other choices. So, I'm guessing that walking to work wearing the Vibes I would have no trouble at all noticing traffic.

So it's not the style it's the design. Wait about three months...then I'll probably have a pair of Vibes and I'll be riding my bike occasionally. Right now it's zero degrees C (32 F), so my bike is kinda lonely.

Steve

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Similar to the Bose IE are the Sony MDR-EX90. They are pretty natural-sounding with no obvious issues. They could do with a bit more bass definition, but given its price, I'm not really asking for much.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Unless you absolutely have to have an earbud, I'd go with the KSC75. I ordered the PK2 as a new running bud but while waiting on them I've gotten a pair of KSC75s to replace my old ones and they're great for running (I assume they would be good for cycling too). I'm still anxious to try the PK2, but the KSC75 would be a cheap solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back