Late night Listening
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Topplayer

100+ Head-Fier
Its nice to stay up late when no one is around and listen to some music. truly one of the best feeling

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its nice to stay up late when no one is around and listen to some music. truly one of the best feeling

I would say that I do a majority of my listening after midnight. There's no distractions for me at that time.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 22
I don't know why, but the more tired I am, the better the music sounds. I'm not being sarcastic. I have had some amazing experiences that I just can't replicate during the day while I am wide awake.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why, but the more tired I am, the better the music sounds. I'm not being sarcastic. I have had some amazing experiences that I just can't replicate during the day while I am wide awake.

That reminds me of a time when I got back to a hotel really late and played a Pink Floyd album, (Wish You Were Here' at really low volume on headphones) and it just transfixed me. Both the music and the quality of what I was listening to really affected me ..... I don't know whether it was just the time of night or just that I'm a nutter.

I love sound effects between tracks played at a volume where it is difficult to hear whether it comes from the headphones or the room.

Maybe our ears are more receptive at night?

Ian

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 22
Air travels faster/easier through cool/cold air. Your sense of hearing is heightened in the dark. But if you're listening in a cozy, heated bedroom then you may just be suffering from exhaustion :p I do a lot of listening late at night too (probably too much, considering how much I fall asleep at my work desk during the day).

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 22
I do pretty much all of my listening at night (preferably in a cold room) as that's when the music just comes alive to me and more intimate/emotional (there's just too much going on during the day to be able to relax to music). Unfortunately, this means that I can't really use speakers (I prefer speakers over headphones) and can only use STAX earspeakers for limited amounts of time at low levels
frown.gif

I think the change in temperature is irrelevant to the quality of sound reproduction of our headphones, at least based on physics and the ability of our ears to be able to pick up on such minute differences (though I do feel that a dark environment where your eyes don't receive much information does allow your ears to become a bit more focused than normal). Of course, it can alter your mood and subconsciously it'll seem to sound better, which is all that really matters in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 22
All future head-fi meets should be for night owls maybe? Don't get to the convention hall until 2300 at the earliest!

Headphone listening is obviously a solitary experience, and so when others are not around it makes it much easier to fully invove yourself in the experience.

After midnight your body generally wants to be asleep, and dreaming, so you are keeping yourself awake and concious when your brain wants to be unconscious, thereby experiencing part of the brains free association of images that usually occurs when you are asleep. It's your mind at its most abstract, where you can discover new things. Some artificially achieve this with drugs, but as you have discovered, it is possible to tweak the incoming information naturally and achieve a mild euphoric effect.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 22
I love those late night listening sessions as well!
There might be some reasons why:
* Dark surroundings, mean more concentration on the actual music.
* Quiet listening area.
* A more clean power source. Since there are less pollution on the main cables when most people are sleeping.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love those late night listening sessions as well!
There might be some reasons why:
* Dark surroundings, mean more concentration on the actual music.
* More quite listening area.
* A more clean power source. Since there are less pollution on the main cables when most people are sleeping.

Those are pleasant consequences to listening at night indeed. I also tend to do my most focused listening at night, so it all adds up to a better experience overall.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 22
I also feel the lack of others makes for a more enjoyable session. I listen to my speakers earlier in the evening but pull out the headphone rig after the wife goes to bed.....ahhh....bliss
eggosmile.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 22
It's even better when you play music late in the night.

Every once in ahwile, I'll head down to a pretty remote park in my town, and bring my tuba with me. No one can hear me, and there's a nice room to play in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back