Last US producer of analog tape shuts its doors...
Feb 3, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Quantegy, the last remaining US manufacturer of analog tape for recording studios has gone bankrupt... http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...ion=mainRegion

Quote:

Analog recording has fallen by the wayside since the mid-Nineties, when faster, cheaper digital recording and editing programs such as Pro Tools became the norm. Still, die-hards -- including Neil Young, Jackson Browne and producer Rick Rubin -- swear by the natural sound of analog. "Digital has gotten really good, but it's never going to be analog," says Lou Reed. "People who want a vintage sound are going to have a problem."

Quote:

"There's no other way to get that warm sound." The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch worries that a valuable way of thinking about music will be lost. "With digital you might look at the sound waves and see that the bass player is a little behind the drummer and move some of those notes to make it look tighter," he says. "But with tape you might listen to that same performance and just think, 'That bass player has a nice feel.'"

Quote:

In addition to concerns about digital music's sound quality, questions have been raised about archiving it. "I get folks coming in here with waterlogged boxes of analog tape where there's actual mildew on the reels, and we can still clean them up and get them to sound great," says John Nicholson, owner of Hilltop Studios, the longest-running studio in Nashville. "You show me a hard drive that can handle that."

God, the future is crappy digital, mixed and corrupted by Pro-Tools....

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 108
Very sad indeed ...
frown.gif

Btw from other forum:

Quote:

Tale of the Tape:
Audiophiles Bemoan
The End of the Reel

As Quantegy Shuts Plant,
Purists Snap Up Supply;
NASA Feels the Crunch
By ETHAN SMITH and SARAH MCBRIDE
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 12, 2005; Page A1

Jeff Tweedy, leader of the rock group Wilco, prefers to record music on
reel-to-reel tape rather than on the digital equipment that has overtaken
the music industry. Purists like him think it confers a warmth and richness
to recordings that a computer cannot.

But last Friday, Mr. Tweedy hit a snag as he prepared for a session in
Wilco's Chicago studio space: Nobody could find any of the
professional-grade audio tape the band is accustomed to using. "I was under
the impression that there was a shortage of tape in Chicago," Mr. Tweedy
says.

What he didn't yet realize was that the shortage is global. Quantegy Inc.,
which may be the last company in the world still manufacturing the
high-quality tape, abruptly shut down its Opelika, Ala., plant on Dec. 31,
leaving audiophiles in the lurch.

Quantegy filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday and hopes a
restructuring will eventually revive its operations. But its future is
uncertain, inasmuch as demand also is dwindling for its videotape.

The news has set off a frantic scramble in the music industry as producers
and studios seek to secure as much Quantegy tape as possible. By the middle
of last week, most suppliers around the country had sold out their entire
stocks of reel-to-reel audio tape.

The supply that remained came at prices rapidly escalating above the usual
$140-per-reel wholesale price of Quantegy 2-inch tape. Walter Sear, a
prominent New York studio owner, quickly snapped up 60 or 70 reels, some at
prices that had ballooned by as much as 40%. "We'll have to change our
approach to life without tape," Mr. Sear says.

Quantegy is hearing from customers all over the world trying to secure the
professional-grade tape. A Japanese musician e-mailed from Tokyo, eager to
get more for a recording session. Richard Lindenmuth, Quantegy's president
and chief executive, says he'll try to help. Some customers are trying to
organize their own bailouts of his company. Andrew Kautz, president of the
Society of Professional Audio Recording Services, called Mr. Lindenmuth
Friday hoping to get a one-time special order, a request Mr. Lindenmuth is
considering.

The crunch reaches far beyond the recording industry. The National
Aeronautics and Space Administration uses Quantegy tape on its space
shuttles to record information ranging from pressure to temperature. This
week NASA has been trying to buy 20 reels from Quantegy.

Even Hollywood is affected. Some die-hard moviemakers believe voices sound
better recorded on analog tape. In making "Spider-Man 2" and the Harry
Potter movies, digital recording technology has taken the front seat, but
backups of dialogue were recorded on reels of Quantegy tape. Engineers are
also worried about how long digital recordings will last.

Tape was used to record most music after World War II. In the heyday of tape
recording, it was common for rock bands with big recording budgets to run
through hundreds of reels of tape in making just one album.

But over the past decade, the tape has been rapidly outmoded by cheaper,
more convenient computer-based digital recording. People in the music
industry say that as few as 5% of albums are recorded and mixed using audio
tape.

The purists have a romantic attachment to the taping process. "It's a much
more musical medium than digital could ever dream of being," says Joe
Gastwirt, a mastering engineer who has worked with the Grateful Dead and
others. "It actually does something to the music."

Most of the industry gravitated to the cheaper digital technique, however,
transforming tape from a commodity to a boutique item. That changeover has
wiped out a once-hardy field of competitors. Quantegy was founded shortly
after World War II by John Herbert Orr, a former Army major who called the
company Orradio Industries. Ampex Corp., a maker of recording equipment,
bought Orradio in 1959 and renamed it Ampex Magnetic Tape.

Over the years, Quantegy went head-to-head with various competitors,
including European brands like Emtec Magnetics and BASF. But as the market
began to fall off, Ampex decided to get out of the tape business in 1995,
and spun off Quantegy that year. As computer technology overtook the
recording industry in the late 1990s, Quantegy's competitors bailed out.
Some tapes are manufactured in China, but audio professionals generally
don't consider them to be of consistently high quality.

Quantegy's audiotape business in 2004 was still profitable, accounting for
$6 million of the company's $30 million in sales. But the company fell into
trouble because of other obligations and when Quantegy lost one of its major
videotape customers in July, it suffered a cash crunch. By year's end, it
couldn't meet payroll and sent its employees home. Mr. Lindenmuth believes
an injection of $10 million would save the company, and is hoping a Chapter
11 reorganization will give him time to find investors.

When Wilco's Mr. Tweedy found himself in a bind, he telephoned Steve Albini,
a Chicago producer and studio owner who is known for his work with Nirvana
and the Pixies. Mr. Albini's Electrical Audio Recording is one of the last
major studios in the country to rely exclusively on audiotape.

Mr. Albini had been stockpiling tape for more than a year, worried that the
end of manufacturing was near. But when Quantegy closed its doors, he
redoubled his efforts to secure as much as possible. Working through normal
sources, he tracked down around 65 reels, enough to make about 10 albums.

He also began "looking in the weeds," as he puts it. He tracked down
contacts who buy odd lots of electronic equipment on the salvage market.
Through one, Mr. Albini hit the mother lode: nearly 2,000 reels of 2-inch
magnetic tape, enough to fill a small warehouse. Mr. Albini bought 100 reels
and is trying to keep the supplier's name and whereabouts to himself. He
says he doesn't want to see a better-funded competitor move in on the
remaining stock.

Mr. Albini estimates he now has a year's worth of tape, or about 500 reels,
on hand. So when Mr. Tweedy called last Friday, Mr. Albini volunteered two
reels of tape -- as "a professional courtesy." But, he says, "I don't want
to go into business supplying tape to people."

Looking ahead to a tape-starved future, Mr. Tweedy has a fallback: The band
has an archive of around 100 reels of tape it has used in recording its
various albums. By splicing out and saving the final version of each song,
he figures they can maintain the archive and also generate a supply of tapes
that can be recycled for future recording sessions.

Still, Mr. Tweedy jokes, if the tape scarcity continues, even some of the
archived recordings might become expendable. "I'm just fearful that all the
master tapes at the loft would be worth more if they were blank," he says.

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 108
Wow, this is quite sad indeed.

I can't believe this happened. As far as recording methods went, it's always been better-sounding on a master reel tape, and not on the hard drive of a computer.

Guess why this is happening: Because rap music is taking over. Who needs "musicality" when you can have things go really loud and have bass be artificially-punchy!
rolleyes.gif

Honestly, though, the lowering demand of the master reel to reel declined by year 2000, with bands like The Backstreet Boys, NSync, and Eminem taking over. Rock music, Jazz Music, and Classical, Blues, whatever - all was recorded through reels at this point (approx. year 2000), am I right?

Analogue sounds so rich, warm, and musical compared to the zero's and one's used today. It's an unfortunate thing that such a company had to go.

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 108
Yes tape is pure sound, with all its great features like.

Stretching over time.
Is supceptible to magnetic interferance.
Higher levels of ground level noise.
Degrading in quality every time you copy it.
Being more expensive.

What are you people living in the 1970s still?

No offense but this is a rediculous thread with rediculous posts
eek.gif

Quote:

"There's no other way to get that warm sound." The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch worries that a valuable way of thinking about music will be lost.

What, now we are trusting the smacked out, rock headed musitians too?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 108
But it sounds real. You really have to try hard to get digital to sound close, and even then it's not really possible. The difference is mainly in the convenience of digital storage; it's small, cheaper, easier to edit, doesn't degrade over time and easy to copy. This is why recording studios like digital. But it doesn't sound better.

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 108
Umm... what?

This is coming from a guy whose only listed source is an old Sony Walkman PCDP.
rolleyes.gif

Have you ever HEARD a well-conditioned analogue source? One that didn't cost you ten dollars on eBay? One that had clean, well-cared for media?

Sorry, but there is an undoubted amount of more musicality with an analogue source over a digital one. The warmth and life in an analogue source is unquestionably there, and exceeds over any digitalized recording. It's just pure, obvious sense.

The recording methods may have increased, but this is only increasing specification of available frequencies. We will never get the same vibe from music recordings again!

I listen to only vinyl. Are you going to tell me I'm living in the seventies, but I am only nineteen years old?! When I was born, CDs were already getting started.
rolleyes.gif

I just have a recognizable sense for well-recorded music. For anything from classic rock recordings to huge chamber hall classical music, it all sounds better on a FULL RESOLUTION (meaning NOTHING is lost in the recording process - you don't see that in today's recordings
rolleyes.gif
) method of media, and not the media used in the world of the iPod.

Look, you shouldn't be posting bull**** like this when an industry pioneer has shut its doors. They were REALLY after the best interests of the followers, so stop your bitchin' and start showing some respect for the folks.

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 108
No.

I'm exactly the same age as you mate
wink.gif

I do have other sources.

sblive 5.1, chaintech av-710, my home stereo hq-z1, my parents old school yamaha cd player, and yes my oldschool sony cdwalkman.

I haven't spent a single cent on anything source related cept for the chainy, as I'm yet to decide on what I want.

I just see that analogue electronics really is dated, and well was gonna die anyway, to be honest I'm surpised they lived this long.

And do you honestly think you will be able to tell the difference between a properly mastered Tape and properly mastered digital audio anyway?

I know your answer is yes, but its the same thing, an approximation of the exact signal.

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 108
Quote:

And do you honestly think you will be able to tell the difference between a properly mastered Tape and properly mastered digital audio anyway?

Yes.

You do know that digital is just a lossy *representation* of an analog signal? You do know that most of the best recordings are analog (tape)?

I'm not saying that it's impossible to make a good-sounding digital recording, or that all analog recordings are automatically superior to all digital, that would be ridiculous.

But to dismiss analog tape out of hand is just plain ignorant (with all due respect).

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
But to dismiss analog tape out of hand is just plain ignorant (with all due respect).

Yeah I'm just realising this.
Sorry if I offended.

I guess its just I'm very young. When I think about analogue, I think about Nirvana - Nevermind, as much as I love the CD to death, there is so much damn hiss that it really takes away from the recording.

I know this was recorded for something like $800 back in the 90s, but yeah, as much as you all hate CDs it seems, how many have teribble hissing, and clicks, and other artifacts, that are errors in recording?

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 108
Nevermind was a professional recording, it was Bleach that was recorded on the cheap. Nevermind is actually a GREAT sounding recording for what it is.

It's funny, there are mastering engineers out there who *destroy* the work they do by adding modern no-noise technology to remove the tape hiss from old recordings. In doing so, they remove much more than just tape hiss, they remove the air and breath of life in these recordings, people in the know, HATE no-noising... As Neil Young once said (paraphrasing), "all the magic takes place in the tape hiss..."

Personally saddened by the death of analog tape, a lot of music is going to lose the "feel" of the tape that made it so appealing and life-like in the first place. There's a lot of great analog equipment that's going to be in very high demand from people/artists who know.

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 108
I'm sorry to hear that the last maker of reel to reel tape is possibly folding. Remember though that CDs were supposed to be the death of vinyl - but vinyl is still going strong 25 years after the CD proponents said RIP to it. Hopefully Quantegy will be able to get back on its feet financially and start manufacturing again.

I grew up with vinyl and tapes, then went to CDs when the "digital revolution" happened. Yes, I bought all the hype about how much better digital music was and how CDs were going to be so much cheaper in "a few years." (I'm still waiting for the price drop.) I am now going back to vinyl again. Mind you, I'm not getting rid of my digital setups or my CDs, but I am really excited about hearing vinyl again.

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Nevermind was a professional recording, it was Bleach that was recorded on the cheap. Nevermind is actually a GREAT sounding recording for what it is.

Wha, but Bleach is the one that sounds nice, it has very little hiss, it sounds clean, but then I put on nevermind and it just seems subpar.

Are you telling me they used hissreduction on bleach and didn't on nevermind and nevermind is a better recording?

Crank up Something in the way, on just about any setup and alll you get is SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Something in the way SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm SSSSSSSSSSSS

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 108
@sia@home, here's a link to a thread on Steve Hoffman's site (most respected mastering engineer in the world), regarding tape hiss: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ight=tape+hiss

You should be aware that removing tape hiss digitally also removes a lot of the music as well. People who know, HATE it when remastrered CDs have been no-noised then re-EQ'ed to try to artificially "add back" what has been lost through the hiss-removal process. People who complain about tape hiss are seen as philistines who just don't get it!
eek.gif

Also, bear in mind, every time you process something, run it through yet enother piece of machinery, you are losing more and more of the music and the master tape. Most audiophiles just want a plain vanilla flat transfer of the master tape without editorial comment, manipulation, processing or any other futzing. They want to hear the recording in its pristine state, hiss and all!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 108
You also can't really compare analog tape reels to tapes or cassettes. Tape reels sound amazing! I remember hooking those suckers up in the studio and:
rs1smile.gif

I also have many tapes at home and they sound great. But I will never forget the day when I wanted to play one of my old tapes and the sound was almost completely gone! No trebble. This was most likely due to very bad storage in which case it is my fault of course. But with CD's it's basicly indestructable. OK, you can't burn 'em or something but you get the idea. Also with vinyls, remember to treat 'em right! Amazing sound. I remember listening to my dad's LP player listening to some unplugged G N R's and it just had that sound you simply cannot describe on a forum.

Regarding tape hiss, this was always an ongoing battle, Dolby B, C and I think S if I remember correctly.... I always had it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back