Larry at Headphile is selling a "like new" condition Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus...is that the going rate?
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
What did the HE-90 cost when it was in production?  I'm curious as to how much of an "unobtanium" premium that represents.

TIA.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 74
New, the HE90/HEV90 combo cost $15k.  the $8k he is asking for is perfectly normal (in fact, judging by some audiogon sales, this is a relative bargain :p)

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 74
Thanks Doug.  I've had excellent dealings with Larry, I was just curious as to what the market price of fish was :)

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 74
Wow!

To this mortal, that is a lot of money on a hobby until I think of the price of cars, boats, planes, etc. I then realize why there were only so many made and the purpose. An industry statement only now being equaled. Reminds me of the Nakamichi Dragon and McIntosh amps in their era.

So 8 large is for bragging rights in the headphone galaxy.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 74
Don't drop it!!

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 74

Quote:
Seems a fair price. Still, I'd rather pick up a used Ducati for that sum. That would be slightly more exciting.
biggrin.gif

LOL!  Nice one.  Yeah, having trouble getting my arms around spending that much for these (or any headphone), although I confess when I first saw them I was sort of tempted, knowing that the chances to own a really great condition pair are slim.  I bought the pair of NOS AKG K340's Larry was selling, and they truly were NOS - amazing condition.  So this sort of briefly tempted me - until I remembered I still have to send both my kids to college...

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
Seems a fair price. Still, I'd rather pick up a used Ducati for that sum. That would be slightly more exciting.
biggrin.gif

So this sort of briefly tempted me - until I remembered I still have to send both my kids to college...

They will understand! I heard these many years ago and I can still remember the effect they had on me and that was in the days when I had a fairly high end home set up to compare them to! I just wish the way I lead my life now allowed me a home headphone set up. I would be all over these and hang the expense!

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 74
The fact that you had to put HE90's and your kids on a scale is already disturbing.
biggrin.gif
JK

Quote:
LOL!  Nice one.  Yeah, having trouble getting my arms around spending that much for these (or any headphone), although I confess when I first saw them I was sort of tempted, knowing that the chances to own a really great condition pair are slim.  I bought the pair of NOS AKG K340's Larry was selling, and they truly were NOS - amazing condition.  So this sort of briefly tempted me - until I remembered I still have to send both my kids to college...

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 74
We can only hope they found a good new home.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 74
Somebody probably sold one of his kids to get them.

I'v been watching too much 'Matroesjka's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back