Larocco Pocket Reference sounds great!
Mar 16, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #31 of 128
Interesting, so the plot thickens. Does the PPA normally run off batteries? How much is the Lab-Grade power supply? The PPA still looks darn cool though.

Mar 16, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #32 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugano-san
Sound: Very clear, very powerful, very deep bass. Lots of detail. Very dynamic. Incredible that so much sound emanates from such a small enclosure.

This amplifier is so much more than "just another portable". It can cope with the finest sources' output. If I had to characterize the PR's sound in one word, that word would be "accuracy".

Not only does it reveal an enormous amount of detail, it does so without sibilance and based on a deep, deep bass foundation. Feed this amp's output into some high-quality cans, close your eyes and *feel* the bass! Then open your eyes, look at the tiny chassis and stand in awe. What energy and dynamics from such a small box -- and that's without using the bass boost. The crystal clear treble and the hugely informative midrange just add to the experience.

But up to now I had tried the PR only connected to my stationary sources, i.e., turntable and CD player. Yesterday evening I used it for the first time with some portable CD players. The PR highlights the differences in sound quality without any reserve. The sound from the D-303 was so much better than that of any other portable player I tried, and at the same time it was so far removed from the level of sound quality that the PR produced with my stationary CD player, while nuances remained clearly discernable, that I can only say that the PR exhibits charcteristics of a measuring instrument in this respect.

The PR does not appear to add a lot of anything to the sound, thus it is really easy to spot the differences in different sources. At the same time its reserves are so immense that it easily reproduces the finer and subtler qualities of a great-sounding source, and that's more than a number of perhaps more expensive (but dull-sounding) amplifiers can say about themselves (if they could only speak...).

I would suspect that a maxed-out Larocco PPA does all of the above even better than the PR, but if you consider that the prototype version of the PR is nothing else but the forefather of the PPA, it's not surprising that the production version of the PR is an amplifier of the highest caliber considering its size and its price.

But the real point of this post is: The PR is an amplifier of the highest caliber even if you do *not* take into account its size and its price. And that's worth pointing out.

Thank you for your interest.

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
Interesting, so the plot thickens. Does the PPA normally run off batteries? How much is the Lab-Grade power supply? The PPA still looks darn cool though.

Yes but it's only an option and not standard. You have to get a battery board installed. I have a Headsave PPA with battery board and just added the Laracco Discrete Diamond Buffer. I haven't really timed how long the batteries last but I think it is less than 12 hours. The PPA with batteries is better as a transportable that you can use at work and home and occasionally on the go.

The pocket reference would be better is your are using it mostly for the portable aspect because it is smaller and the batteries last much longer.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 128
Quote:

Interesting, so the plot thickens. Does the PPA normally run off batteries? How much is the Lab-Grade power supply?

The PPA design is versatile enough so that it can run off either batteries or wall power; its absolutely up to the user.

As for the Lab Power, Larry tells me it was designed with "super" audiophiles in mind. For those who are looking for the best with no compromise. As for th price, you'd have to shoot them an email.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 128
Quote:

Damn right it's cool
very_evil_smiley.gif
I just ordered mine a short time ago with custom all brush silver casing, just like the Pocket Ref. (see my signature for full specs)
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Lab-Grade power supply is $300..ish

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #37 of 128
So can I assume that the PPA needs a whole lot of batteries to run? How many? I keep on hearing people calling it portable, but isn't it a pretty big amp relatively speaking? The battery board would add space, and create a transportable for those hardcore audiophiles. Dang...$300. But I think it's pretty cool that there are so many customizable features.

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #38 of 128
Quote:

So can I assume that the PPA needs a whole lot of batteries to run? How many? I keep on hearing people calling it portable, but isn't it a pretty big amp relatively speaking? The battery board would add space, and create a transportable for those hardcore audiophiles. Dang...$300. But I think it's pretty cool that there are so many customizable features.

I believe mine has 14 AAA batteries in it. It is in the same size case featured on Laracco's site (PPA only) but in a basic version without the customized faceplates. It fits in my bag and can use my ipod with it on the go but I usually go ampless while on the bus because my commute is only 15 - 20 minutes and not worth the hassle. I got the battery board just to give me the option to take it to the park or a roof deck, not really to listen on the go. I don't think I'll even take it with me when I travel because of the hassle with security and just something extra to deal with.

It about 4" W X 2.5" H x 6" D. Not too bad on the desk but looks huge compared to my ipod.

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #39 of 128
Yeah, the lab power is pretty hardcore, supposedly even quieter than batteries.

As for the PPA bettery board, I believe it uses all AAA size for longevity. I've seen the battery board but I havent counted how many batteries are actually on it; I'd be guessing around 12? Quite a lot anyhow, which is why the PPA board is equiped with a recharging circuit so you can use Ni-MHs.

The PPA is pretty big, but the battery board fits in the standard hammond case.

Edit: Heres a link to the batter board on Tangent's website: Battery board.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #40 of 128
Thanks for the answers! You guys are awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif
I always like it when people don't totally ignore me.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #41 of 128
Quote:

This amplifier is so much more than "just another portable". It can cope with the finest sources' output. If I had to characterize the PR's sound in one word, that word would be "accuracy".

Not only does it reveal an enormous amount of detail, it does so without sibilance and based on a deep, deep bass foundation. Feed this amp's output into some high-quality cans, close your eyes and *feel* the bass! Then open your eyes, look at the tiny chassis and stand in awe. What energy and dynamics from such a small box -- and that's without using the bass boost. The crystal clear treble and the hugely informative midrange just add to the experience.

But up to now I had tried the PR only connected to my stationary sources, i.e., turntable and CD player. Yesterday evening I used it for the first time with some portable CD players. The PR highlights the differences in sound quality without any reserve. The sound from the D-303 was so much better than that of any other portable player I tried, and at the same time it was so far removed from the level of sound quality that the PR produced with my stationary CD player, while nuances remained clearly discernable, that I can only say that the PR exhibits charcteristics of a measuring instrument in this respect.

The PR does not appear to add a lot of anything to the sound, thus it is really easy to spot the differences in different sources. At the same time its reserves are so immense that it easily reproduces the finer and subtler qualities of a great-sounding source, and that's more than a number of perhaps more expensive (but dull-sounding) amplifiers can say about themselves (if they could only speak...).

I would suspect that a maxed-out Larocco PPA does all of the above even better than the PR, but if you consider that the prototype version of the PR is nothing else but the forefather of the PPA, it's not surprising that the production version of the PR is an amplifier of the highest caliber considering its size and its price.

But the real point of this post is: The PR is an amplifier of the highest caliber even if you do *not* take into account its size and its price. And that's worth pointing out.

Thank you for your interest.

I am really interested in how the pocket reference works with the Shure E5's. To get to the point...is there any hiss? Or is it dead silent like the XP-7 with the 797 is supposed to be...?

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #42 of 128
Quote:

[size=large]Sugano-san, I think I speak for all when I say it is greatly appreciated the time you are taking to report your findings and for employing such high end phones as well (AKG K-1000, Grado PS-1, Senn HD650 and Ety ER-4P/S). The quality of the phones employed can really help to put the performance of this portable audiophile amp in perspective. I await the comparison with the XP-7.
cool.gif
[/size]

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #44 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by DLeeWebb
Or is it dead silent like the XP-7 with the 797 is supposed to be...?

Not sure if there was a bit of doubt in this statement or not, but I can confirm that the XP-7 with AD797s is absolutely silent. I would love to get it side-by-side with the LaRocco for some testing, though.

BTW, congrats on the new amp. Hope you continue to love it.

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #45 of 128
With the quick test I did last night, the pocket worked much better with the Shures but made the etys too bright and harsh.

It was the opposite with the XP-7. The etys sounded really nice on this amp and it was very close sounding to a PPA with the Laracco Diamond Buffer. The Shures sounded too bloated with XP-7. I also didn't like them as much with the PPA either.

I not sure what opamp were used but there was some hiss with the shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back