Largest DAP in term of storage?
Aug 15, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea. All I know is what I read in this thread. I would love to see a digital output as well, but I'm not holding my breath. Optical is not used in pro audio, so there probably won't be a mini-optical output like what was in the iRiver, and any other type of s/pdif or AES would require another connection that would take up more space and make the pacemaker bigger. Maybe they could have it output through USB, and sell an optional USB->s/pdif or AES converter? I wish...

I thought that you have to convert to optical? At least, if I want optical, (see sig), I would have to.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 34
McIntosh MS750 with 750GB of storage. Sorry, you didn't specify portable.
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 34
Archos players have 160GB, the 504, 704 and of course the new 605.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 34
Thanks for responses guys, the Pacemaker looks quite interesting.
I'll have to give the Archos players a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
McIntosh MS750 with 750GB of storage. Sorry, you didn't specify portable.
tongue.gif

Your funny...
rolleyes.gif
I don't think I want to lug a home audio component in my pocket.

Anyways, thats nice, 750GB DAP for your home audio.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that you have to convert to optical? At least, if I want optical, (see sig), I would have to.

Do you mean as opposed to s/pdif? Optical and coaxial are both digital outputs that follow the protocol called s/pdif. They are both s/pdif. AES/EBU is the counterpart of the s/pdif protocol that is used by professionals. s/pdif is the consumer protocol for digital audio output. s/pdif is usually used via coaxial or optical, while AES/EBU is usually done via XLR.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean as opposed to s/pdif? Optical and coaxial are both digital outputs that follow the protocol called s/pdif. They are both s/pdif. AES/EBU is the counterpart of the s/pdif protocol that is used by professionals. s/pdif is the consumer protocol for digital audio output. s/pdif is usually used via coaxial or optical, while AES/EBU is usually done via XLR.

But you would need a transmitter to go from SPDIF to optical.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #24 of 34
You would need a transmitter to do optical, but optical is still a form of s/pdif. S/pdif is only the protocol. It's followed by both optical and coaxial.

I can't wait for this thing to come out!

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 34
I think this thread is worth reviving. High resolution audio takes a lot of space but storage has moved on a great deal since the last post.

I remember the Archos fondly...

I have an AK120 Titan which has 128GB on board and two micro SD slots which certainly take 200 GB each (I've done this) but I can see no reason why the 256 GB cards wouldn't work so that takes us to 640GB.

Any advance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back