Large soundstage, open, ample bass. $2000
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Roderick

Headphoneus Supremus
Willing to spend $2000. $2000 is not a problem for used headphones.

I want big hd800 style soundstage with robust bass. Must be easy to drive because I will pair it with chord mojo and sell my desktop setup to fund the purchase.

From what I've red:
All planars OUT because of lacking soundstage?

Focal clear: OUT because of small soundstage

Zmf auteur: maybe? How big is the stage vs hd800?

Pioneer se Master 1: maybe?

Akg k812: still lacking bass?

Anything Else?

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 4
All planars don't inherently lack sound stage. But all $2,000 ones don't have a huge one, that's true.

But you're only using a Chord Mojo. You're significantly limiting your sound stage with it, and other areas of performance. So... I don't think recommending $2,000 headphones just for a Chord Mojo is a good idea, and this is coming from a former Chord Mojo owner. It's great for the price, but $2,000 headphones like the HD 800 need more to shine.

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 4
2,000 headphones like the HD 800 need more to shine.
I have SPL phonitor as my desktop amp which I planned on selling. I don't think the difference is that huge. Atleast not as big one could assume and the difference is small enough for me to give up for portability.

Temporarely I allready found what I was looking for. Had been a while since I've listened to my JVC dx1000 but damn... :)

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 4
AKG K812 is more forward than HD800/S so I don't think that's what you're looking for, at least without some EQing.
Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Gen) will give you more bass presence, but less ethereal soundstage, still very good though.
You can also EQ the bass up on HD800/S or the upper mids down on K812 to make them more T1.2-like, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back