Laptop to Bi-wire (possible?)
Nov 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Smirk

Head-Fier
Hi. I've been thinking about purchasing Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers to play music from my laptop. After doing some research I discovered that the speakers use bi-wire input, which I've never heard about. Is there any SPD/IF to Bi-wire converter available? And what are my other options for speakers to be used mainly with the laptop (15 sq metres room). By reading internet reviews I assumed Wharfedale Diamond speakers are a great choice for the bucks.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 7
First, the Wharfedale speakers are not active.  You will need to buy some sort of amplifier for them - a laptop won't push those drivers.

Look into getting an old receiver if you want to save money.  You could also buy an integrated amp or a separate preamp and power amp.

Next, forget biwiring.  It's snakeoil.  You're supposed to run two separate sets of wires to a speaker for no reason that makes sense apart from hallucinogens, brain damage or those orbital mind control satellites.  Lunacy... except for the part where someone makes money from selling two wires instead of one.  That's about as smart as it is lacking in morality.  Hey, why not hook 10 or 20 or maybe 100 little wires to the speaker?  More is better, isn't it?

Be sure not to confuse this with biamping.  That's legitimate.  You use a separate amplifier for each driver in the speaker.  Employed correctly, it's the best thing there is.

Anyhow, those cups look like they have jumpers on them.  You can run them with just one pair of wires.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Hi. I've been thinking about purchasing Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers to play music from my laptop. After doing some research I discovered that the speakers use bi-wire input, which I've never heard about. Is there any SPD/IF to Bi-wire converter available? And what are my other options for speakers to be used mainly with the laptop (15 sq metres room). By reading internet reviews I assumed Wharfedale Diamond speakers are a great choice for the bucks.

You answer is partly in your picture- with bi-wire jumpers you can use them as single wire speakers.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
You answer is partly in your picture- with bi-wire jumpers you can use them as single wire speakers.

Yep. Leave the jumpers on and your problems are solved. Just hook one cable to one terminal for each speaker. Doesn't matter which one - top or bottom.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
He's still gonna need an amp.

[the voice of head-fi]but I listened to the headphones directly from my soundcard and they made sound, so I dont think they could be any better, but I hjavnt ever heard a decent amp, and I dont care to try one because I dont think it would make any difference, and if it did make a difference how would I know it was an improvement, and if I decided it was an improvement how would I know that my money was well spent on this amp, and if I decided that my money was well spent how would I know that I could ever recover my cost...[/the voice of head-fi]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back