Laptop recommendations
Aug 28, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 38
macbook pro does get very hot when running.

to the op, is there a reason you want a laptop? since it's for home use, why not get a desktop? a pretty spec'd out desktop is well within your budget. or an all in one system like an imac.

if you are adamant about a laptop, you can check out dell or circular for bestbuy and circuitcity. they always have sales for 15.4. i dont check out 15.4 because they are heavy so i cant offer much suggestions on them.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid State Disk (or disc if I'm going to be patriachal). Superior in every respect to plain old Hard Disc Drives but significantly more expensive.

Except speed and reliability

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #21 of 38
I want a computer that i can use at home but i can carry from room to room. Since I am very much into digital photography i want something that can handle my folders from my Canon 5D. I went to best buy over the weekend and i really liked the HP and Compaq. Maybe i will go for something like that since they have a nice screen and they go around $1000 fully loaded.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except speed and reliability

I thought they are faster and more reliable?
confused.gif
Faster read times and no moving parts?

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #24 of 38
I checked the Lenovo T61 and for the configuration with 160GB HDD, 15.4" WSXGA, 2GB Ram etc etc it come around $1200. I think that for the price we might have a winner. I will do some further research to settle down. Thanks a lot for the recommendations guys.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 38
Read up a bit. Solid State storage is potentially faster and more reliable, but so far, not so much. It does use less power tho, and has a smaller footprint.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 38
I am more interested in a high resolution monitor so i was thinking that the macbook screen will barely cut it for some photoshop work. I will look around. Its amazing that wherever I look everyone is complaining about reliability issues. After my bad luck with my Dell overheating I dont know what brands i should be looking for maximum reliability.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read up a bit. Solid State storage is potentially faster and more reliable, but so far, not so much. It does use less power tho, and has a smaller footprint.

Ah ok I'll be quiet now
580smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more interested in a high resolution monitor so i was thinking that the macbook screen will barely cut it for some photoshop work. I will look around. Its amazing that wherever I look everyone is complaining about reliability issues. After my bad luck with my Dell overheating I dont know what brands i should be looking for maximum reliability.

Check out the HP business line. I have an nc8430 which has 1680x1050 resolution (matte) and it feels like it could survive a bomb drop. It exudes solidity.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 38
For me the 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT of the Lenovo is a winner. I will check the HP and compare prices. Since I am a student (starting my MBA next month) is there a way to get a discount or find any other coupons, vouchers etc etc?

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 38
I have a thinkpad t61 15.4 right in front of me. It is a great notebook.

Excellent build quality
amazing screen (resolution, details, ext)
great keyboard
and I could go on and on

but there's a catch.

when you order from lenovo you pretty much have a 50-50 chance of getting the "good" screen. They have two company's making screens for them and one of them people say has a blue tint, so whites will never be white.

and the other is made by LG (the one I got), and is considered better, but dose have a small sparkle effect to it.

Also, it might take awhile to get you notebook. I waited over a month to get mine, but well worth it. But I believe they have been catching up on their orders and shouldn't take that long anymore.

One more thing, a clean install is highly recommended, and go for XP instead of vista and save yourself A LOT of work to get the machine to work properly.

I can't stress that enough. Unless you want to reinstall vista to make your notebook run smoothly, then please get XP.

I know it sounds like a lot negitive aspects, but I am very satisfied with the end product, even running vista. And you can't go wrong with the matte black finish. No more finger prints!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back