Laptop processors
Apr 23, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

whatever you do, stay away from desktop CPUs in a laptop. it will overheat and you will end up with lowered sperm count and a potientially burned penis. stick to the real mobile chips

QFT. Desktop != laptop.

Apr 23, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
Will the Pentium M be totally gone by July or will the price just drop? Are the AMD offerings not viable or as good as intel's?

i'm not sure which intel fabs have migrated to 65nm, so its possible by july it will only be NOS P-M chips. even if they're still producing 90nm chips, the P-Ms should be cheaper. for normal office applications you won't see a difference between the solo or the P-M.

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 21
Im on a compaq V2312US right now that I purchased from circuit city for $730 and another $300 for the uber warranty.

It uses the AMD Turion 64 ML-32 processor and I love it.

My only regret is that I didnt wait for the MT-32 or any other MT core processor, the ML's use 35 watts as opposed to the MT's 25 watts.

I build my own desktops and I have been a AMD since I was 13 and built my first desktop. I will never again buy an intel unless they manage to beat AMD's price/performance ratio which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

I would suggest buying a Turion X2 from circuit city with a uber warranty then breaking it in about 2 years and getting a new one... just kidding
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 21
I'd recommend the Turion64. Everything should be 64 bit in the near future, and that'll guarantee long-term compatibility. I've got several Intel chips here (Core, Pentium IV and Celeron) as well as an Athlon 64 and a dual Operton monster. AMD64 smokes Intel, hands down. Especially the Opterons. Oh man. But we're talking laptops here.

For disclosure, I run Linux on the x86 boxen and OS X on the Core.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 21
I use an iBook G4 and it is awesome for battery life and heat. 3 hours is almost a minimum battery life, 4 hours is common, and 5 hours is quite realistic for light use. The warmest component is the hard drive and the system fan doesn't turn on unless there are lots of CPU-intensive processes running. I mainly use my system for web browsing, email, music listening, and word processing. Sometimes I'll use it for more demanding tasks like audio and video conversion, but it's more than adequate for that. I just installed Ubuntu on it yesterday since I needed a greater app selection and wanted a more customizable system, but ran OS X before that since last July when I got the machine.

If I were getting an x86 laptop I'd likely get an Intel Core Solo since it's about the most power-efficient x86 chip out there from what I understand. If I were to trade off some battery life for performance, I'd get something with an AMD Turion. AMD chips have an awesome price/performance ratio and they tend to kick Intel CPU's butts in per-clock performance. My desktop system is an old AMD Athlon XP Barton system and it is still quite fast even nearly 3 years after I built it.

At least nowadays there are lots of choices for the $1000 and less laptop market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back