Laptop > ? > DAC = which would you go for?
May 26, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
Hey, I've got a laptop and I just ordered myself a DAC that can take only digital signal (optical or RCA/BNC).

So now I need to pass the signal from the laptop to the DAC, here are the solutions I'm looking at. Which would you choose or do you have other suggestions? My one and only goal is sound quality, ideally less then $300 but will look at other solutions if it provides ultimate SQ. If you've already tried a few of those options, which was nicer?

- HagUSB
- M-Audio Transit
- Squeezebox
- Airport Express

Thanks for your help.

I was in the same position as you, and i couldn't find a dock or port repliactor that offered any kind of digital output. I only had USB. Are you into DIY and SMD soldering? If so this could be a fun project, and the ultimate USB solution (apart from I2S).
Firstly modifying the DAC to accept BNC and a proper transformer coupled digital input. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161839 (pics on pg 2) . Then Halman made a USB-BNC interface some time ago which he sold to be, the closest match is a modified Guzzlers USB output http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105088 , and choose your favourite 75 Ohm (+-1%) BNC/video cable and 75 Ohm connectors... and presto.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim
I haven't gotten around to buying a dac for it yet (I'm waiting until I get my Shure e500 before I make anymore audio purchases), but eventually I'd probably be able to do a shootout between my hagusb, emu 1616m, and squeezebox.

That shootout would be great. I've always wondered how the Squeezebox digital out would fare versus a usb solution like the HagDAC... I hope your Squeezebox is stock, not the hotrod modified version!

May 27, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 32
I also have a laptop serving as my music server. I have a storage drive attached via a PCMCIA card for USB 2.0, because the laptop is an older PIII that only has USB 1.1 ports. My first device was the Transit using it w/ Foobar to a cheap pro audio DAC. The Transit has very stable drivers and was a good starting point.
Right now I have a Creative Audigy 2 NX which is only used to pass through to its SPDIF output to a Scott Nixon TubeDac+. The Audigy is end of lifed by Creative but they can be found. It is not powered from the USB output but has its own power supply which was a switch mode PS that I changed out for a linear PS and I run a balanced power transformer in this system. I use Foobar as the player but the device has been unmapped and plays through ASIO4ALL so no WINDOZE KMIXER in the path. The quality of playback is reference quality. It won't make bad recordings better but there is a very analog quality to playback that diminishes listener fatigue almost completely.
I also have Slimserver installed on this laptop and use the same storage for a Squeeze Box 3 in my bedroom system. That SB3 has a better linear PS (Elpac) but is otherwise stock. I use it to send a digital coax signal to SN ChibiDac. It is very musical but if someone held a gun to my head wanting to know which was the better method I would have to say the USB path is superior to using ethernet.
If I didn't need multiple digital inputs (also does digital conversion on directv audio) in the main system I would have opted for a SN USB DAC that utilizes I2S and avoid the additional format change to SPDIF-lower jitter/better sound.

May 28, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim
I also have a laptop serving as my music server. I have a storage drive attached via a PCMCIA card for USB 2.0, because the laptop is an older PIII that only has USB 1.1 ports. My first device was the Transit using it w/ Foobar to a cheap pro audio DAC. The Transit has very stable drivers and was a good starting point.
Right now I have a Creative Audigy 2 NX which is only used to pass through to its SPDIF output to a Scott Nixon TubeDac+. The Audigy is end of lifed by Creative but they can be found. It is not powered from the USB output but has its own power supply which was a switch mode PS that I changed out for a linear PS and I run a balanced power transformer in this system. I use Foobar as the player but the device has been unmapped and plays through ASIO4ALL so no WINDOZE KMIXER in the path. The quality of playback is reference quality. It won't make bad recordings better but there is a very analog quality to playback that diminishes listener fatigue almost completely.
I also have Slimserver installed on this laptop and use the same storage for a Squeeze Box 3 in my bedroom system. That SB3 has a better linear PS (Elpac) but is otherwise stock. I use it to send a digital coax signal to SN ChibiDac. It is very musical but if someone held a gun to my head wanting to know which was the better method I would have to say the USB path is superior to using ethernet.
If I didn't need multiple digital inputs (also does digital conversion on directv audio) in the main system I would have opted for a SN USB DAC that utilizes I2S and avoid the additional format change to SPDIF-lower jitter/better sound.

Good feedback. Have to ever tried some kind of a/b testing between your usb and your SB3 using the same dac/amp/phones? You seem to favor the sound card which is definitely different than many who say the SB3 is an incredible transport... thanks

May 28, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #22 of 32
Computer noise is not an issue w/ either system, which is most often the reason that the SB is considered the better option. I've never heard a SB w/ analog mods, but I much prefer the sound of NOS DACs which is why I have the Scott Nixon DACs. I did try an SB3 in the living room system and went back to the Audigy because while the Slimserver interface is slicker than using Foobar, sound quality was slightly but noticably better w/ the USB device which is one of the few asynchronous transmission devices available. The living room system has all Eastern Electric electronics and is is not nearly as heavily weighted towards "BIG TONE" as the bedroom which has a 6SN7 based preamp, the AES-3 from Audio Electronic Supply. The amp is a Decware Select which has been tube rolled to include a Mullard GZ34 rectifier and a 7308 signal tube. All of these tubes contribute image density like crazy. The living room system is more neutral by comparison but does tend toward the warm side and is more detailed or maybe the larger room permits a bigger sound stage where invidual voices and instruments can be picked out.. In any event, it took me some years to discover what I liked and how to achieve that. I want to add that neither system is terribly pricey.

May 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

I did try an SB3 in the living room system and went back to the Audigy because while the Slimserver interface is slicker than using Foobar, sound quality was slightly but noticably better w/ the USB device which is one of the few asynchronous transmission devices available.

Interesting
How do you compare Audigy 2NX and Transit? Have you had a chance to test whether Audigy digital output is a bit-perfect, by playing DTS wav to external receiver?
I have NX with dead PS, were did you get upgraded one?
Thanks

May 28, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 32
The Audigy 2 NX is a bit tricky to set up properly. I had the help of some people in Hong Kong who are very high on this device. They can be found here-http://www.odysseyaudiohk.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=digital_gen;action=display;num=11185 06128
When properly set up, the Audigy is of couse bit perfect. The Transit is an entry level device that has stable drivers and is easy to install but because it uses Toslink and draws its power from the USB, is simply not in the same league.
I've never heard the HAGUSB but some things occurred to me about it. Hagermann Technologies is a very reputable company and the pricing is very reasonable. That particular device again draws its power from the USB and uses Windoze drivers, never very good.
The only problem w/ the Creative Audigy 2 NX is its lack of availability.

May 29, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
Hey guys, I'm picking up the pcmcia Audigy tonight. I should get my Paradisea DAC tomorrow so this weekend I'll let you know how it goes.

Any of you know how long an optical you can have before have sound degradation? I'd like to go about 10-12 feet.

Hey! I am interested...so what's the verdict? How did the PCMCIA Audigy go?

May 29, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #27 of 32
The fact that you can use the ASIO4ALL drivers for the HagUSB negate any negative issues with the standard windows drivers noted below. The HagUSB is a real neat device with filtering to ensure clear power. This is not as good as the Empirical Off-Ramp battery solution that sells for 5x but it is very good.

Do a search for users how have this on here or on Audio Asylum and see what some have said. And you can go to the HagTech forum on AudioCircle.com and check also.

See this local reference and thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...6&postcount=19

Quote:

I've never heard the HAGUSB but some things occurred to me about it. Hagermann Technologies is a very reputable company and the pricing is very reasonable. That particular device again draws its power from the USB and uses Windoze drivers, never very good.

May 29, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimb97
Hey! I am interested...so what's the verdict? How did the PCMCIA Audigy go?

Well on it's own it sounds good. However when I compare it's digital out versus my CDP as a transport then the Audigy is not quite there. I'll post a small review soon with some comparison I did but overall I'm not that impressed with the Audigy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back