Laptop cooler for Audio GD Phoenix
Jun 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

orrb_05

500+ Head-Fier
I tried a search for this, but nothing came up - I was hoping to see if anyone has tried this.

I've ordered a Antec laptop cooler so I can give it a shot.

I'm just concerned about the longevity of the controller that gets very, very warm.

3-4-NoteBook_LapTop_web.jpg

It looks like it should work and pull the heat from under the controller.

I'll post back once I've experimented a bit.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,

I use a USB powered fan for my ROC. The brand I use is Thermatake and I use either the "11" or "12" model. The 12 is much quieter but moves less air while the 11 is louder and moves more air. I position the fan on the back of my amp blowing away from the amp. This draws cool air over the amp as well as pulling air out of the amp. You could even lay the fan down on the amp and have it blowing up, thus pulling air out.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 10
though you normally don't want components to get any hotter than they need to, I'm pretty sure the AGD amps are built to take that heat.  The solid aluminum cases are absolutely fantastic heat sinks too.  I would just not keep them on when not using them.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Got the cooler set-up and ran the Phoenix for a good 3 hours. It works like a champ - the Phoenix is nowhere near as hot as was before. now its just warm vs hot. Running the fans on low, becuae high makes them too audible if I'm using my Dynaudio monitors.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Does yours have the vents in the base and lid?

If you do want to move the heat, I'd suggest using the slowest spinning 120mm fan you can find. One trick is to use a regular 120mm 12V fan and hook it up to the 5V output of a USB cable, then connect it to a hub. Only a small amount of airflow is actually needed.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Mine came with a solid lid and a solid base - if you're asking about the Phoenix. My Audio-gd DAC had a vented top and bottom and it never gets even slightlu warm, so I switched tops to let the Phoenix breath a bit. The bottom is what was getting really hot, but the fan pulls the heat down and away from the amp then releases it from unde the base of the cooler as pictured - works about as good as I expected - not perfect, but its cooler than it was.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi,

Not any from my experience. The #12 from Thermaltake barely vibrates and is dead quiet.

Quote:
Imo adding a fan will cause lots of vibration no??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back