Laptop and line out?
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heimdal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, thanks for the response. You really know your transports.

I'll wait for the Compass DAC to arrive and see if USB is decent, if not I'll add the Musiland in between for optical/COAX out.

A little off topic, but 24/96 and 24/192 are basically DVD-A rips only right? If I have my FLAC/ALAC collection from CDs, the best I can get (and use) is 16/44.1, which makes the Musiland a little less worthwhile
frown.gif

You are welcome. Thanks very much. I like to try different things and hear the best synergy with different gear.
beerchug.gif

In reference to high-rez, there are download sites that sell 24/96 FLAC files (HDTracks is the one that started me on the journey). A complete high-rez album goes for about $15.98 and individual tracks $2.50.
Of course I wish the selections were more, but hopefully little by little their selections keep growing. There are others catered to classical too. There are also free high-rez song downloads to let you see the differences between them and 16/44.1...

My collection is all ripped from CDs too and all 16/44.1. The high-rez is just a plus and eventually will grow more.

If all you want is just basically to get optical from your laptop, then the TBAAM or UCA would suffice. If you want to try different outputs to your dac, not worry about a power supply and you may be interested in high-rez with a non-optical out laptop/PC, then the 01USD would be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back