Laptop and line out?
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm no expert here, but I think your best bet would be using a USB DAC.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 16
USB->S/PDIF digital coax converter. Bella Canto makes one, also there are some listed on Cryo-parts website. They will take your usb and convert it to the digital input for your dac if it doesn't have a usb input.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 16
There are some cheap external usb soundcards which have optical s/pdif out, likethe Behringer UCA-202...for 30$ you have bitperfect digital audio ( just use asio drivers ) to feed an external dac.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my laptop only has headphone jack and mic inputs. How do I use line out to go to an external dac?

Which laptop do you have?

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 16
You don't feed a DAC from a line out. You feed it digital data from a USB, Fire Wire, optical, or digital coax output. Your computer has one or more of those. Look for compatible DACs.

P

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 16
USB -> USB to S/PDIF converter -> DAC

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my laptop only has headphone jack and mic inputs. How do I use line out to go to an external dac?

As others have stated already, you need a USB to SPDIF converter. There are several and all depends on your budget. Here are a few examples-

TBAAM

dded024128a0b334593c001.jpg

Behringer UCA202

uca202.jpg

Musiland Monitor 01USD

00002220.jpg

00002221.jpg

Pop Pulse PC Link II

pctrans2.jpg

I have all of the above and all work as described and achieve bit-perfect playback w/ ASIO, ASIO4ALL, Kernel Streaming, Wasapi...

Here is a thread that I did some tests with the UCA202 & TBAAM

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/be...erfect-440809/

And here is my Pop Pulse in action behind the scenes and out of sight (using 2 inputs and 4 outputs)

img1881f.jpg

Cheers...
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 16
You have ALL of the above? Isn't that overkill?

I'm thinking of getting an audio-GD Compass DAC/AMP, which supports USB in addition to SPDIF and Coax. Would the SPDIF out on a TBAAM, for example, be a noticeable upgrade, or would a USB supported DAC have its own internal wiring that's suitable? If that's the case would it be a worthwhile investment to get a Coax-out converter like the Pop Pulse II?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heimdal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have ALL of the above? Isn't that overkill?

I'm thinking of getting an audio-GD Compass DAC/AMP, which supports USB in addition to SPDIF and Coax. Would the SPDIF out on a TBAAM, for example, be a noticeable upgrade, or would a USB supported DAC have its own internal wiring that's suitable? If that's the case would it be a worthwhile investment to get a Coax-out converter like the Pop Pulse II?

Thanks!

Hi Heimdal

Overkill? We're on Head-Fi...Nothing is overkill
biggrin.gif

I use them separately with different setups- 2 speaker rigs and 2 headphone rigs in different rooms.

Quite honestly, since I received the converters I don't use usb input from DACs too much anymore. I still do, but not as much as before.

In reference to your question, it all depends what your application will be. I use several tube amps and sometimes I get a hum with usb input from the DAC. The converter takes care of that and it is dead silent. That was my original purpose when I bought my first one. Then I got some high rez music, so the Musiland came into play.

The Musiland plays 24/96 high rez from usb, the others do not. It also runs on usb power, no PS. The Pop Pulse runs on usb power as long as usb is used as input. To use coax or optical input a PS is supplied.

The Musiland has become my "go to" converter and for about $50.00 cheaper than the Pop Pulse, it's a winner. There is a large thread on it around here.

I really like them all for their given application/purpose.

EDIT/ADD: Wanted to add in reference to the price difference I advised. The Pop Pulse has 3 inputs whereas the 01USD has 1 (usb) and the Pop Pulse has 5 outputs whereas the 01USD has 3. Again, given your particular application and how you will use either.

If you see my pic of the Pop Pulse, I have 2 inputs connected (usb and optical). But why would I input optical to output coax?

I found an old cd player I had not used in many years and wanted to try it out with one of my dacs. The dac I wanted to try was already using the optical input and the CDP only had optical out, but the coax input of my dac was empty. I connected the CDP via optical to the input of the Pop Pulse and connected the coax output of the Pop Pulse to the empty coax input of my dac. Problem solved and sounds great.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Interesting, thanks for the response. You really know your transports.

I'll wait for the Compass DAC to arrive and see if USB is decent, if not I'll add the Musiland in between for optical/COAX out.

A little off topic, but 24/96 and 24/192 are basically DVD-A rips only right? If I have my FLAC/ALAC collection from CDs, the best I can get (and use) is 16/44.1, which makes the Musiland a little less worthwhile
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back