LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #752 of 1,046
Sweet looking setup. Like the shelves as well. I've also have on order some 1948 RCA 6L6G tubes.

I've been snowed under with work this week, but it's a long weekend here coming up, and I'll be trying quite a few more tubes if it's raining outside. So far, I'm liking all tubes :) EL11/EL12/EL3N seem to add a touch of warmth, and might be suited to some recordings.
Thanks!
I don’t have much to compare to yet, but these sound good so far, only have a couple hours on them.
Long weekends are perfect for tube rolling, I need to stock up.

Some more warmth would be ideal, my amp is a little on the neutral side, will check out some ELs thx.

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #753 of 1,046
Just read a little about Lampizator DACs and the Atlantic 2 TRP caught my interest.

The manual is a little confusing, is the TRP also capable of using 300Bs with adapters?

Also has anyone tried the power conditioner and can compare it to others?

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #754 of 1,046
The TRP isn’t a SET unit, so doesn't use the 300B, just 274B and all the compatibles (5R4, 5U4, etc.). You’d have to go up to the Big 7 Mk2 for that. See the Lampi threads on What’s Best Audio. Btw, a used loaded TRP just posted for sale on eBay (it has balanced outs, but those back tubes aren’t needed if not used).

@attilahun For modest warmth from the TRP, I’ve found a combo of Tesla EL51 and early ‘40s RCA 5R4GY to be wonderful. I’ve heard that the Sophia EL34 also fits the bill and a pair of Phillips 4654 are on the way that are supposed to be even better (4699 and EL50 may also be similar).

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #755 of 1,046
Just read a little about Lampizator DACs and the Atlantic 2 TRP caught my interest.
@leftside has done a good deal of tube rolling on his TRP.
I’ve found a combo of Tesla EL51 and early ‘40s RCA 5R4GY to be wonderful.
Im using a Chatham Potato Masher in my TRP with my Tesla EL51. Very nice, warm sound, and the mashers are super inexpensive

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #756 of 1,046
The TRP isn’t a SET unit, so doesn't use the 300B, just 274B and all the compatibles (5R4, 5U4, etc.). You’d have to go up to the Big 7 Mk2 for that. See the Lampi threads on What’s Best Audio. Btw, a used loaded TRP just posted for sale on eBay (it has balanced outs, but those back tubes aren’t needed if not used).

@attilahun For modest warmth from the TRP, I’ve found a combo of Tesla EL51 and early ‘40s RCA 5R4GY to be wonderful. I’ve heard that the Sophia EL34 also fit the bill and a pair of Phillips 4654 are on the way that are supposed to be even better (4699 and EL50 may also be similar).
I've never heard the Sophia EL34, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you with the Philips 4654. They get the most time in my TRP.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #757 of 1,046

@attilahun For modest warmth from the TRP, I’ve found a combo of Tesla EL51 and early ‘40s RCA 5R4GY to be wonderful. I’ve heard that the Sophia EL34 also fits the bill and a pair of Phillips 4654 are on the way that are supposed to be even better (4699 and EL50 may also be similar).
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I’m using the RCA 5R4 right now but haven’t tried the well loved el51 tesla yet. I’ve been reluctant to go the adapter route but maybe I should give it a whirl. I’m using vintage RCA 6L6 and enjoying those. But don’t have anything to compare them with aside from stock tubes. Need to diversify a bit.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #758 of 1,046
Did anyone habe thr chance to compare the regular DAC versions with the R2R Board counzerparts?

For SE Versions you can even choose which one you want without extra charge

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #759 of 1,046
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I’m using the RCA 5R4 right now but haven’t tried the well loved el51 tesla yet. I’ve been reluctant to go the adapter route but maybe I should give it a whirl. I’m using vintage RCA 6L6 and enjoying those. But don’t have anything to compare them with aside from stock tubes. Need to diversify a bit.
Definitely give the EL51 a try if you can. There is also the Philips EL51, but they are tougher to find. They are in the same family as the EL51, EL39, 4654, etc, but have more power.

Did anyone habe thr chance to compare the regular DAC versions with the R2R Board counzerparts?

For SE Versions you can even choose which one you want without extra charge
I have the Golden Atlantic R2R and the Golden Atlantic TRP. Very happy with both, especially as the R2R replaced a different DAC in the living room. Big difference, and as my wife mainly listens there she is very happy. But, the TRP is in my dedicated music listening room. I prefer the TRP. Clarity and definition are the things that stand out, and of course you can roll all of those tubes - which is a blessing and a curse haha.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #760 of 1,046
Definitely give the EL51 a try if you can. There is also the Philips EL51, but they are tougher to find. They are in the same family as the EL51, EL39, 4654, etc, but have more power.

I have the Golden Atlantic R2R and the Golden Atlantic TRP. Very happy with both, especially as the R2R replaced a different DAC in the living room. Big difference, and as my wife mainly listens there she is very happy. But, the TRP is in my dedicated music listening room. I prefer the TRP. Clarity and definition are the things that stand out, and of course you can roll all of those tubes - which is a blessing and a curse haha.
If I ever get one I aim for the Atlantic R2R TRP Version.

However I overspent hard in the last year, so I gotta save up a few years first

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #761 of 1,046
Sorry for the late response, but I want to report that the Ava Humdinger solved all the hum problems. I also purchased a McIntosh MC205 amp, and that had really bad transformer hum, so I also purchased a Humdinger for that amp, and again the problem was solved.

I've recently upgraded the Atlantic to the Golden Atlantic and couldn't be happier. I'm now on the lookout for another Lampizator for a second room.

Golden.jpg
I have that same set up but it’s not in use at the moment 🥲
I’m waiting on the MC1.25kw’s to arrive. How does that sound man and what tubes do you prefer? I use the KR 5UG4 rectifier and 4 Gold Lion KT66’s on the back.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #762 of 1,046
Sorry for the late response, but I want to report that the Ava Humdinger solved all the hum problems. I also purchased a McIntosh MC205 amp, and that had really bad transformer hum, so I also purchased a Humdinger for that amp, and again the problem was solved.

I've recently upgraded the Atlantic to the Golden Atlantic and couldn't be happier. I'm now on the lookout for another Lampizator for a second room.

Golden.jpg

Attachments

• B69357A8-F3FF-44DC-BC35-678F4C8B153B.jpeg
    B69357A8-F3FF-44DC-BC35-678F4C8B153B.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #763 of 1,046
I have that same set up but it’s not in use at the moment 🥲
I’m waiting on the MC1.25kw’s to arrive. How does that sound man and what tubes do you prefer? I use the KR 5UG4 rectifier and 4 Gold Lion KT66’s on the back.
It was a great setup. In that room I now have the Golden Atlantic TRP and a Supratek preamp. The TRP is typical of a modern sounding piece of gear - i.e. very detailed. I find warmer tubes such as Philips EL51, EL3N, 4654, etc work really well in my setup. Can't really go wrong tho with all the well known tubes such as KT88, KT66, etc.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #764 of 1,046
It was a great setup. In that room I now have the Golden Atlantic TRP and a Supratek preamp. The TRP is typical of a modern sounding piece of gear - i.e. very detailed. I find warmer tubes such as Philips EL51, EL3N, 4654, etc work really well in my setup. Can't really go wrong tho with all the well known tubes such as KT88, KT66, etc.
Sweet. I have a warm sounding system so I opted for the TRP sonI could make some changes if it were to be too dark. I’m glad to hear it’s very detailed. I’ve got some mid 90’s Sonus Faber Extrema’s and they are warm by todays standards. Can’t wait for the mono’s to arrive. How do you like the McIntosh C500/C500T tube preamps?

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #765 of 1,046
Sweet. I have a warm sounding system so I opted for the TRP sonI could make some changes if it were to be too dark. I’m glad to hear it’s very detailed. I’ve got some mid 90’s Sonus Faber Extrema’s and they are warm by todays standards. Can’t wait for the mono’s to arrive. How do you like the McIntosh C500/C500T tube preamps?
Oh Supratek preamp? Never heard of it. Prefer it to the McIntosh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back