LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #676 of 1,046
Good news. Lampizator had a special 5U4G made by KR Audio for them unimaginatively called, KR 5U4G Lampizator Anniversary. In any case, they were supposed to be amazing and sold out quickly being unobtanium. I just found a Lampizator dealer with a few left! PM me and I'll send you the info.

Thanks 
atsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #677 of 1,046
That's a hot setup, I like the white tube base against the black case.

But more importantly how are you finding the Atlantic?

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #678 of 1,046
The Atlantic is a great sounding DAC. I prefer the sound to my McIntosh D100. Initially the D100 grabs your attention more, but the Atlantic has a smoother, more engaging sound.

Pros: 
 - The sound quality. Best DAC I've heard.
 - Easy to setup
 - Plays well anything that I throw at it - from YouTube to FLAC and DSD
 - The Lampi team in North America. They are very quick to respond to your questions

Cons:
 - The build quality. The board literally flexes when you initially insert the tubes. I'm used to solid tube gear from McIntosh and Woo Audio.
 - I'm not convinced the 4P1L tubes are "good" tubes. The unit initially produced a very bad hum through the speakers. I tracked it down to one of the tubes. These tubes seem to take longer to settle down/warm up than tubes in my other units.
 - The unit makes a slight humming noise (not through the speakers). This could be annoying if you are close to the unit. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #679 of 1,046
I would go post those concerns on forum where there are more lampi users. I have GG and don't have any of those issues around build and noise. Wonder if something is up with your particular build.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #682 of 1,046
@leftside Try the AVA Humdinger for the hum coming from the DAC. I had the same issue and it eliminated it.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #683 of 1,046
Thanks guys. I'll try a different set of tubes and if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll consider an AVA Humdinger (I've heard these mentioned elsewhere).

The flexi-Atlantic isn't a huge problem. Those tubes are not meant to be rolled anyway. It's just a little disconcerting when you attempt to insert the tubes for the first time.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #684 of 1,046
Sorry for the late response, but I want to report that the Ava Humdinger solved all the hum problems. I also purchased a McIntosh MC205 amp, and that had really bad transformer hum, so I also purchased a Humdinger for that amp, and again the problem was solved.

I've recently upgraded the Atlantic to the Golden Atlantic and couldn't be happier. I'm now on the lookout for another Lampizator for a second room.

Golden.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #685 of 1,046
Sorry for the late response, but I want to report that the Ava Humdinger solved all the hum problems. I also purchased a McIntosh MC205 amp, and that had really bad transformer hum, so I also purchased a Humdinger for that amp, and again the problem was solved.

I am glad you sorted the hum. My thoughts were have you tried sitting your Lampi away from the C500. Maybe stacked on top is encouraging hum and interference? DACs are notorious for being super sensitive to affects from power supplies and high voltage.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #686 of 1,046
It seems in that room it doesn't matter where I place the Lampi. All good now tho :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #687 of 1,046
The Atlantic is a great sounding DAC. I prefer the sound to my McIntosh D100. Initially the D100 grabs your attention more, but the Atlantic has a smoother, more engaging sound.

- The build quality. The board literally flexes when you initially insert the tubes. I'm used to solid tube gear from McIntosh and Woo Audio.
- I'm not convinced the 4P1L tubes are "good" tubes. The unit initially produced a very bad hum through the speakers. I tracked it down to one of the tubes. These tubes seem to take longer to settle down/warm up than tubes in my other units.
- The unit makes a slight humming noise (not through the speakers). This could be annoying if you are close to the unit.

Hi, just joining in as a happy Lampi owner. I am a bit late to the party, however regarding your comments:

1. I got a note from Lampi saying that the flex was normal when inserting the tubes and it was due to the particular tube base used. Since the Atlantic is not meant for tube rolling, this is a no issue. Flex on mine was fairly small to be frank.
2. The 4P1L are awesome. If you solved it without changing the tube it's possible that you had a ground loop in your system with the other amp.
3. I have the same, also with the DAC disconnected. It's probably related to the power line. In my case it's barely audible when close to the speakers so I don't bother with it.

On a separate topic, anyone using a Lampi USB cable?

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #689 of 1,046
I recently had a chance to do an in home test of the new Lampizator Atlantic TRP,which was released in April 2019.
I did not do any tube rolling with it,though TRP is an acronym for "Tube Rollers Paradise". The North American rep,Fred Ainsley,mentioned to me that rolling in higher end tubes takes this DAC to a whole other level. I cant even imagine!

I put together a short overview of it for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back