LAME: Is it Really CD quality?
Feb 12, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

jordanr

100+ Head-Fier
Is variable bit rate LAME encoding truly CD quality?

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 63
No, it is variable bit rate LAME quality!

That said, I encode all my cd's API just to be safe because I can't even tell the difference between APS or APE (lame) and the cd anyway through the same d to a converter. I figure constant 320 is excessive enough to make me feel like I am concerned about quality without going all out with lossless encoding, and you get the (dare I say) universal mp3 format.

Maybe someday my system will be revealing the subtle flaws of slight compression and different bit transports, but I certainly don't consider it a goal. Only way to decide is to try it yourself though, do a comparison between a cd, flac or other lossless file and a lame API rip of the same track. If you can use as many similar factors during the comparison, preferably the same DAC.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 63
Well, my system is as indicated below. Strictly iPod. I'm not in a position to own any decent home audio right now, so it's all portable media for me. That also explains why I have no way of really comparing CD audio to ripped music. I could play my discs through my laptop for comparison, but the audio quality from the sound card just isn't that good.

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 63
what vbr are you using? -aps, -ape, -api, or customer settings?

with your setup id like to say you could tell -aps from cd, even -ape, as feel a decent percentage of people here could, -api might be tougher, but with the compressions they are not cd quality, very nice quality for size, but no cd or flac.

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 63
I can hear a small difference between LAME --ape and CD/WAV/FLAC, but it's not enough to make me abandon my MP3 player.

If you want to test out your setup, try encoding the same track in Apple Lossless and MP3, then do a blind test on your iPod. Put both tracks on a playlist, hit shuffle, start it up and see if you hear a difference.

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I can hear a small difference between LAME --ape and CD/WAV/FLAC, but it's not enough to make me abandon my MP3 player.

If you want to test out your setup, try encoding the same track in Apple Lossless and MP3, then do a blind test on your iPod. Put both tracks on a playlist, hit shuffle, start it up and see if you hear a difference.

I did the same thing with 192 lame mp3, 256 ogg, and a cd. Sometimes I was able to tell a difference, sometimes I wasn't. However, this was out of my laptop's sound card, which is crappy and has a continuous hiss in the background. I'm goign with 256 ogg just to sooth my mind, i probably wouldn't notice a difference if i went with the mp3.

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep

if you are trying to judge by playing back the two on your ipod, i agree, it will be hard to tell the difference. But, and it's a big but, hook the line out to a reasonably high end audio system and i will bet that it's a slam dunk which is which.... any takers?

Feb 12, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanr
Is variable bit rate LAME encoding truly CD quality?

Note remotely. Even with a half-decent pair of headphones, its pretty obvious that sound quality is lost there.

Go lossless eg FLAC or dont bother. But LAME is not CD quality and it wont give you that.

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 63
Yes, mp3 isn't cd quality, period. With decent equipment (and a normal pair of ears) you must be capable to tell the difference. But... Who cares? Mp3 is convenient and the standard in compressed audio, and lame gets you as far as you can in mp3 audio. Lossless codecs are real fine, but not functional if you go portable.

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 63
I've been using aps. I don't know how to change to ape, api, etc. In fact, I don't even know what those additional variables mean.
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanr
I've been using aps. I don't know how to change to ape, api, etc. In fact, I don't even know what those additional variables mean.
confused.gif

ape-alt preset extreme
api-alt preset insane
if i recall correctly, extreme is 320 cbr bitrate with some extras turned on, and insane is a higher bitrate vbr between standard and extreme (note, lame really doesn't go over 320, in vbr or otherwise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back